Poll: Tympanometry / Acoustic Reflex — Did You Experience A Spike in Your Tinnitus Afterwards?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill_, Dec 29, 2018.

?

Did you experience a worsening in your tinnitus after tympanometry / acoustic reflex test?

1. I had no negative effects

2. I had a temporary spike < 1 week

3. I had a temporary spike > 1 week

4. I have permanent damage / spike

5. I haven't had these tests done

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      So as of now I have figured out that my stupid ENT actually DID do an acoustic reflex test along with the tympanometry, as I have already discussed in another thread.

What I'd like to know though is if anyone has experienced TEMPORARY spikes from that, because right now my tinnitus is a solid 6 or 7 (compared to a 3-4 before that).

I'd like to tell myself, that this is only temporary but I've read a few stories about people having sustained permanent damage.

So, please vote and feel free to elaborate!

2. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      I developed new beeping sound after tympanometry but after a few days finally disappeared.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I got permanent damage after caloric and cvemp test which was 90db in loudness. I lost hearing in both ears. Tinnitus is still a 8/10 and still battling with Hyperacusis, in 2-3 weeks it will mark a year after those tests. Please be careful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Tympanometry. Permanent damage!

5. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Is that the air pressure test?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      Yes, it is. It changes the pressure of your ear and measures the reflex of your ear drum. I assume that this caused my hearing loss, because since the moment I've done this test, I don't "feel" my ear drum on the right anymore, whem I'm smallowing, yarning or hear loud noises. It's like the ear drum is dead!

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it loud? A test was done on me, but it wasn't loud. Could it have been a tympanometry test?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Just to double check, are you saying that tympanometry test is not loud, so it could have been the test that I had experienced?

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In that case, it might have been what had given T to me. My T began on the evening of the day when I had those tests done. I thought that the tests couldn't have hurt me, as they were so quiet. I am still not sure how it could have given T to me if it was so quiet...

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Stay away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      We should do a big campaign for preventing T- and H-suffers from ENT-tests. For ourselves, we can do nothing anymore. Our damage is already done! But we can save other people from the suffering, we have.

There are so many users here, complaining they have spikes in their T after the tests and the doctors just calming down and don't care. So many unneccessary hearing losses. Enough is enough!

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Probably if some doctors are sued and they have to pay compensation they will refrain from carrying out dangerous tests on patients without previous warning.

15. Marceline
      Worried

Marceline Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tympanometry
      "Prove that it was the doctors fault!" they will say. The doctors always have the better lawyers. They will say something like "Stress caused your T" or whatever. They would never blame theirself.

As long as we stay quiet and do nothing, doctors will perform this tests over and over again. I warned all my friends to never perform a tympanometry test in their lives from now on!

• Like Like x 1
    16. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe pressure was the problem, not loud sound? I think if ears are really sensitive this test could cause barotrauma or something. When I have done tympanometry and acoustic reflex 1st time the dB level was close to loud music from earbuds which I listened before T. After developing H it seemed much louder.

And for clarity - tympanometry is only middle ear pressure test (pressure and 226Hz humming sound). Most of you talk about acoustic reflex test but they are usually made together as impedance audiometry. Acoustic reflex is from 500 to 4000 Hz and between 75 and 95 dB (usualy about 20 pretty loud beeps)

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't remember experiencing any pain or discomfort during the test...
      I definitely haven't had that done.

18. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This test is still considered the best for the evaluation of the middle ear by audiologists and ENTs.
      Unfortunatelly only exlclusion criteria is lack of eardrum..
      They perform this test even on babies under 6 months of age (but on different freqency).
      And after that they are still talking about hearing protection for children.. Ridiculous!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      This is a lesson for never going again to a doctor alone. You have to go to the doctor with someone else in case you get hurt or something goes wrong. This way there will be a witness.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tests to Avoid
      -ecog
      -acoustic reflex
      - cvemp/ovemp
      -microsuction
      - caloric test
      -ear syringing which is the caloric test

high risk of hearing loss and worsening of tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I tested myself with kind of test. If I'm not wrong my doctor put something in my ears and was measuring the reflex in my ears? He told me my reflex is very weak but I should be better after some time. However I didn't find it to be loud and I didn't have a tinnitus spike, worsening in hyperacusis or something similar.

I think it wasn't loud at all, almost quiet. Maybe I wasn't doing the same testing like you did or maybe the device was different, who knows...

• Like Like x 1
    22. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you still have H?

23. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @dpdx Yes I still have. In the first 3 weeks my hyperacusis was a disaster.

After that I started to improve to a level that people voices and some sharp noises didn't hurt my ears anymore. That lasted for 2 and a half weeks, maybe 3 at most.

After that, in the period of last 3 weeks my hyperacusis is worse, not like in the beginning where even clicking on the mouse, keyboard, toilet flush and similar things were painful but still it's a problem for me to live normal life.

How about you?

24. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had Severe H for a year now ever since those ear tests. I lost a lot of hearing (mild hearing loss in noisy areas). Tinnitus is a 8/10 every day since January 16, 2018......kinda sucks

25. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Electrical currents to the side of outside face can cause tension to the buccal branch of the facial nerve. The pons of the ear (sensory) become sensitive, but rarely will cause tinnitus until undesirable noise happens, renewed electrical current to the face or ear, or when quick sound air pressure takes place.

This causes temporary tinnitus, but because of possible renewed sensitivity from loud noise, quick sound pressure changes or renewed electrical input to the buccal nerve - caution was advised for years in one case study.

26. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      No damage from tympanometry (the air pressure thingy), wasn't loud at all, but no way in Hell I'm risking it again, maybe second time won't be this lucky.

27. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is amazing that in the twenty first century ear testing involves all kind of dangerous procedures and exposure to loud levels of noise. Isnt there money to research how to improve the ways of testing for hearing conditions?

Why pharma companies assume that debilitating conditions that may make life very complicated deserve less attention than other diseases?

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      I had tympanometry done 3 months ago. It damaged my hearing as I have more trouble understanding people in noisy environments than before and I got a new, additional T sound. I had a acoustic trauma from a concert before I did the test ... ENT told me to do the test to find out if there is any damage because my audiometric tests did not show any. How ironic. Until now, I did not recover from this. Lesson learned: never do a test or any procedure at the doctors if you have the chance to inform yourself before. The same ENT wanted to send me to an MRI afterwards ... luckily I did not do that

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      Sorry to hear that - did your tinnitus turn down a bit after the tympanometry or did it stay the same all the time?

p.s. Ich seh gerade, auch aus Deutschland! Hallo :)

30. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      Grüß dich, können ja mal per PM quatschen, aber erstmal auf Englisch ;)

The new tone turned down a bit after some weeks, but since I had multiple acoustic incidents, my hearing is so compromised that various moderate noises meanwhile gave me new spikes. That former new tone is also back now. What is happening with my ears is so chaotic that I can't tell which action caused which spike/tone ... I gave up plugging 24/7 and am instead avoiding sound the best I can at the moment (avoid any moderate (electric) devices, only go by the streets or to the city plugged etc.) ...