Poll: When Your Tinnitus Gets Spiked, Does Your Hyperacusis Spike Too?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mister Muso, Oct 30, 2019.

?

When your tinnitus gets spiked, does your hyperacusis spike too?

1. Usually

2. Sometimes

3. Rarely

4. I don't have hyperacusis

5. I'm unsure if my hyperacusis spikes when my tinnitus spikes

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 6 months, both of which have eased somewhat in that time. However for the past week I've had a significant tinnitus spike. I feel my hyperacusis is more elevated again because sounds are annoying me that I was starting to tolerate better.

In your experience, does a tinnitus spike usually also include a worsening in your hyperacusis, or not?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm a "Sometimes" myself. I seem to have noticed it happening with my current spike, but I don't think I've been aware of it on the few occasions when I have had a spike before. I may have not been analysing it as much. Got to be careful not to over-analyse of course.

I've even seen some people say when their T gets better, their H gets worse, and vice versa. Not sure if there is an actual pattern really, probably not one that's the same for everyone.

3. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Should there also be 'I don't have tinnitus(or mild one)' since this particular subforum is dedicated to hyperacusis?:)
      I'm off the point and sorry. Anyway, I do have a mild tinnitus in my left ear but they're mostly unnoticeable, save the times they get much louder when I hear loud noises. I never thought of linking that to hyperacusis but it's a very interesting point because my hyperacusis and misophonia is very severe and most people have t and h together so... I'll find out and get back to you if I discover a similar symptoms as you have. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help to you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm under two years in and the h definitely spikes when the t spikes. I'm hoping with time the correlation goes away, then the h, then the t.

5. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      most definitely! That being said, my tinnitis has not really eased up much since the onset but anything loud definitely puts it on another level and sound sensitivity spikes. For example, the music at my church is loud. When I go to church these days I wear high fidelity earplugs. Even then, when I come home the rest of my day and the next all sound is heightened, the tv, restaurants, voices....it's crazy!

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Usually yes, hyperacusis and tinnitus spike at the same time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thanks for the contributions. Looks like a 50/50 split between Yes and No here, if you count Usually + Sometimes as a Yes. I had been getting a bit blase about my tinnitus volumes lately, as hyperacusis is affecting my life more. It seems going out at all to social occasions can cause a spike, and I'm just coming out of a 2 week spike now.

So based on this rough poll, the message is, if you care about your tinnitus and hyperacusis equally, then take steps to protect them both, because it's a 50/50 chance that an event that spikes one could also spike the other.