Poll: Would You Sign Up for a Clinical Trial for a Drug Never Tried on Humans Before for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 1, 2016.

?

Would you ever sign up for a clinical trial for a drug never tried on humans before for tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. If my tinnitus got a little worse I would

3. No

4. I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Let's say they have no idea what would happen to humans if they took it but thought it could help tinnitus such as RL-81 and your tinnitus remained the same (or got worse in which case see that scenario above).

2. Cillian

Cillian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      @JasonP even if there was a small chance I would take it in a heartbeat I want my silence back

• Like Like x 1
    3. NineNails

NineNails Member

Yes, as long as the side effects are impermanent.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      since it implies that it has never been tested in humans we won't know that

• Like Like x 1
    5. NineNails

NineNails Member

But there should be a tendency. For instance, cochlea implants cause T. It may be intermittent or constant.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I hear you. You must have it pretty bad. Right now it is really annoying me. I might have to get on a new medication.

7. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      This table, my friends, showc exactly how desperate the T sufferers are. It really amazes me how drug companies are unaware of the possibilty that they could have been billionare if they would have found a cure or treatment. I feel so sorry for them as much as I do for us.

8. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Before my NIHL and associated tinnitus, hyperacusis and distorted hearing I would never have thought I could be susceptible for "alternative medicine".
      I am not so certain any more. The same with signing up for clinical trials.
      Just an indication how debilitating this condition can be. It has changed me in more than one way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      The drug companies already have a treatment for T with ADs, benzos, sleeping pills etc etc. I'm not sure that a better treatment (drug) would be anymore profitable than what is already currently available. The point is that they already have a drug that they can sell you as a tinnitus sufferer, do they care if it doesn't really help you, I doubt it.

Most people will buy whatever because they are desperate to try something, it doesn't even have to be good. That's where the profit is at. If they create a (real) tinnitus treatment and swap it for a shit one (ADs) does this get them any more $$$? I don't think so.

Think about the costs involved with finding a cure, why would they even bother when people will sign up and buy their drugs as it sits now.

If some small company finds the cure, great, a big pharma company will buy it, but as far as big pharma investing mass amounts of money for a better tinnitus treatment, I don't think so, no real motivation, only costs.

The point is not to come up with a great treatment, the point is to come up with something that is just good enough that you buy it, and that's already been done. no real treatment needed to sell drugs for T.

T is already HIGHLY profitable, I'm not sure you could squeeze any more $$ out of tinnitus sufferers. I don't think they have left very much if any money on the table.

Also, It's not like there are a ton of companies competing with each other to provide better treatments. It seems a complete monopoly with giant players like GSK running the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

If it works, I can wait until they're sure it works, and know what the side effects and risks are.

If it doesn't work, then I'm subjecting myself to significant risks for no reason.

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Telis I've personally had contact with two different research clinics working on novel T treatments.

There is interest and time and money going in to this. Where any of it leads, we'll have to see...

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1