Probably the Worst Thing That Can Happen!

Discussion in 'Support' started by JoshuaD2002, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can't imagine it being loud to the point of being dangerously loud. In the future unplug your ears a little slower.
      It is most likely not dangerous, but you might as well try to avoid it whenever you can.
      The spike ought to not be permanent. Try not to think about this.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Panicking like hell. It's a case where it will happen whether you release slowly. Not sure if I mentioned but I plugged ears by pushing in that flap of skin next to ear canal. Releasing at any speed means could still happen.

I'm panicking hard. Tinnitus loud. Questioning deeply this liquid pop sound.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know it is not easy to do, but what I learned is that it doesn't make sense to panic unless there was no improvement for a long time (e.g, for over a month).

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @JoshuaD2002 I'm been keeping up with your postings. From what you been saying about liquid pop sounds and other ear experiences, the following may need a revisit.

You had said on page 11 of this thread:
      "currently my mouth is producing too much saliva and I keep needing to shallow?" I answered with an article on producing too much salvia. This article has blue keywords where a click will bring more specific information.

If you are still producing too much saliva, can you locate where it's coming from within your mouth? With this information, it can be narrowed down to if your problem is ETD, nasal cavity or something else. Lets explore this, as the something else could be discovered. This may take some time in trying to find cause. It could even be dental or mouth related, vaccines, dehydration or a number of other things. There has even been cases where electrical current from a phone was the cause. Do you know that you don't have known hearing loss?

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JoshuaD2002
      I feel for you as your anxiety is causing you more issues than your tinnitus.
      Let me tell you what happened to me today -
      - my son screamed loudly in my ear as I carried him to bed. This was loud.
      - I was folding a bunk bed up in one of our cabins and I slipped and it fell - metal on metal, so so loud.
      - my daughter got over excited, jumped on my back and shrieked near my ear. Loud as all hell.

I did not check my tinnitus after these incidents nor did I do a hearing test.
      I checked it now and it’s the same. Completely, nothing has changed.

Please stop obsessing. I can’t see how these events would cause your tinnitus to get louder immediately.

You need to talk with your Mum about how you are feeling.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is my big fear that lead me to checking 8KHz. I've had many hearing tests, the most recent was in February, showing no damage.

But, a month ago, a football did hit my left ear hard. I didn't notice any hearing changes luckily but of course I would go on to obsess over these high frequencies. 8KHZ is actually quieter in my left ear. Could be wax but I doubt this as I checked it after my mum removed the wax. Worried that this football hitting my ear has caused this. But surely I would've noticed this change without a test. Scared about this.

7. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JoshuaD2002

If you are really concerned about your hearing at 8khz, then I'd recommend going to see an audiologist and get a proper test done.
      If you had significant damage at 8khz, you'd probably notice it....
      You can then compare that to the one you have done at the audiologist in February.
      I've never been hit by a football in the head, but I've copped a fair bit of noise very close to my ears thanks to my children and my hearing hasn't changed in 2 years - and I'm 40. You are young and the healing power of your body much greater than mine.

I think you are fine.

I hope I'm not out of line, but you are showing signs of OCD. This can be hard to control without professional help. You are honestly wasting your youth on this obsession with your ears. IF you have lost some hearing (which I highly doubt), right now there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. That's the reality.

My recommendation is- get the hearing test at the audiologist and speak to your parents and GP about your obsessiveness over your ears.

I don't mean to be offensive, so please don't take it like that.... you are ruining your life with this obsession.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is exactly what I told him, Samantha. It’s sad to read what he’s going through. My mom has OCD (real OCD), and it’s a terrible affliction.

Unfortunately, Joshua is not listening to anyone and I know he is a child. @JoshuaD2002, you need to have a heart to heart with your parents and get yourself seen by a medical professional. You will likely need treatment of some kind to help you through this difficult time. Your main problem is your irrational obsession with your ears, and this is something you need to stop before it gets worse. I really hope you listen and go see someone.

You can turn this situation around. There is no reason why you should be torturing yourself, like you are, at this age.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm actually starting to feel intense hate for my toddler brother, who screamed twice very loudly when I was just 5 or 6 metres away about 5 minutes ago, took me off guard. My stupid dog who should know by now not to bark.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm still very angry that my brother screamed at the top of his lungs yesterday, me being about 5 metres away. Twice he did it. Twice. Am I going to be ok? There were people closer and they didn't really care that much, and I am sensitive to sound. But I think it was genuinely very loud.

11. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      this is why you should be wearing earplugs. but to hate your toddler brother?!?!? he doesnt know what youre going through. my kids scream all the time and yeah it gets annoying but my earplugs help. he doesnt know. the world doesnt revolve around your ears. seriously? hate? you really need help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm thinking more and more about this football incident. I literally had some football hit me at some force directly on my left ear about 6 weeks back now.

Starting to believe this is responsible.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is very likely the cause. This is exactly what happened to a friend’s family member. However, they had complete hearing loss in the impacted ear as a result. I know it’s not easy to be thankful when something is wrong, but you are fortunate to not be deaf with tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Right well this certainly isn't helping me. I actually didn't even have any temporary loss of hearing. Or ringing. Remember I've had tinnitus for a while now. Long before a ball hit me.

God I hope someone has a different opinion.

15. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      So if you had tinnitus long before the ball hit your ear, why did you say that you are starting to believe that was responsible? :cautious:

Have you talked to your parents about your anxiety?

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think he is saying that it is responsible for his latest spike.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well actually there really was no problem with tinnitus after this incident. There were other things that happened afterwards that got me anxious and it got worse.

Had a few incidents recently. Someone literally slapping there palms together in front of me. Someone also shouting loudly for their friend next to my left ear.

Im worried because my ears are ringing badly right now. Like the sort of ringing you get after a disco.

Perhaps I'm overreacting mentioning a ball incident that happened 6 weeks ago. I've asked so many people about this and many say they've had an incident like this. It is worrying me though. Tinnitus loud. Not good. I've had a loud clap and a shout... and a football hit my ear except 6 weeks back. I would've thought the school bell incident was worse. In my opinion, the bigger risk of damage isn't the sound of the ball hitting, it's the fact that something hits the ear itself.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Surely if the football was a big factor it would've caused tinnitus within days. It didn't.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The incident didn't affect my hearing either. No muffle or dill feeling. It just pushed wax further in.

Well this is what anxiety revolves around now, as my tinnitus is so bad right now. This ball thing.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Who rated this informative? This is the most scare mongering message I've ever seen.

Most people I know have had a similar experience and are fine.

21. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      See above, when YOU were the one who speculated that the ball hitting your ear was the cause. I was simply providing an example where a direct blow was medically proven to cause hearing damage. If you had tinnitus long before, the ball was obviously not the cause and it’s odd that you are now fixating on it. Have you sought any professional help for your anxiety?

I’m starting to suspect you’re not here because of tinnitus or anxiety . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I still think the ball may have something. My tinnitus is definelty worse, but I didn't start having tinnitus issues in terms of a spike since like a couple weeks after it happened. Surely if the ball had done something I would've noticed something sooner.

Opinions please help. Worried about this incident now even though it happened 6 weeks ago

23. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I’m starting to suspect you’re not here because of tinnitus or anxiety . . .[/QUOTE]

I agree. something is off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree. something is off.[/QUOTE]
      Well, take a look at this. My brother, screaming. Volume down obviously everyone. This just happened. And THIS is why I am experiencing feelings of hatred towards him.

Oh well I thought I could insert a short video, I guess not. Well, I was recording while on my phone while it happened. I was like a metre away. Not happy. Video evidence of this disobedient child and evidence of damaging sound. What a bloody joke.

25. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Joshua I don't know if someone mentioned this to you already, but ill mention it anyway.

Our brain is an amazing thing. If I think and concentrate on my tinnitus intensely, I can make it SO LOUD that I can't hear anything else. If I then continue my work, it will fade back to a normal level within 60 seconds. This shows me that if I worry and check my tinnitus, it will seem louder regardless of there being a noise or not. My brain is focusing on it and ramping it up. It has been scientifically proven that if we stress out and think about our tinnitus, it will become louder. By obsessing so much whether your tinnitus is louder, what pitch it is at, or whether this or that sound is damaging, IS increasing your tinnitus.

Many people on here are also guilty of this. Something will happen and they will immediately check their tinnitus to see if it has become louder. Then two things will happen to make it louder, 1) they are listening for it and 2) they are stressed from the noise event. They immediately will then say, "I got a spike because such and such happened." Then everyone will conclude that "such and such" is dangerous, when it was all in their head to begin with. I am not downplaying people's experiences of having spikes and the discomfort because regardless of it being in their head or due to noise trauma it is both still very real and very scary. But I question whether people's temporary spikes are from actual noise events or stress. We can never know for sure, which makes anecdotal evidence on here almost worthless.

I seriously think that this goes beyond just tinnitus with you and is something you need to talk to a professional about. People on here will give you good advice, but you just disregard it and keep asking the same questions regardless of how many times people reassure you or answer it. This is textbook OCD. I am not saying you have OCD, but behavior like I described it very similar if not exactly like OCD. By constantly reassuring you and answering your same questions over and over again we as a forum are doing more damage to you than good. We are continuing the cycle of :

1) Am I anxious about this situation: Yes
      2) What do I do to reduce anxiety: Ask forum for reassurance and answers
      3) Did forum answer my questions and reassure me?: Yes
      4) Do I feel anxious still?: Yes
      5) I want to get rid of anxiety, what do I do: Go back to number 1 in this cycle because something might change this time

This is a vicious cycle that we as a forum are contributing to. A "normal" (I put it in quotes because no one is normal) person would do this:

1) Am I anxious about this situation: Yes
      2) What do I do to reduce anxiety: Ask forum for reassurance and answers
      3) Did forum answer my questions and reassure me?: Yes
      4) Do I feel anxious still?: Yes
      5) I want to get rid of anxiety, what do I do: Remember the advise people told me and try to do it and try to relax

There is NO SHAME in seeking help for any medical issues. I encourage you to please go talk to someone about obsessing over this and every other noise event. Once you speak with a medical professional about this obsession, they will be able to help you.

I am very happy you can come here for help regarding tinnitus and we are all happy to help you, but I think you have gotten your answers and need to speak with a medical professional whether it be an ENT or a psychiatrist. We are not medical professionals and can't give you concrete answers. We are random people on the internet who want to help each other. We want to help you too, but I think you are no longer listening to us. Please go see a doctor about this.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Well, take a look at this. My brother, screaming. Volume down obviously everyone. This just happened. And THIS is why I am experiencing feelings of hatred towards him.

Oh well I thought I could insert a short video, I guess not. Well, I was recording while on my phone while it happened. I was like a metre away. Not happy. Video evidence of this disobedient child and evidence of damaging sound. What a bloody joke.[/QUOTE]

my kids make noise all the time. theyre kids. esp toddlers, they dont know a)how loud they actually are and b)how their loudness affects you. what do you want him to do, walk on eggshells around you? when my kids are loud I wear earplugs most of the time. now my H is getting better so I dont feel the need to wear them quite as much but at least if I hear a loud noise I have the comfort of knowing that I have earplugs in, so they didnt damage my ears and I dont END UP RESENTING THEM!!! I do get annoyed but I realize theyre kids and they dont know what theyre doing. And I do not HATE them. I love them, and theyre my reason for happiness in this world. I realize that theyre my children and not my siblings so it's a little different but theyre innocent and dont know what T and H are.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JoshuaD2002
      Alone

JoshuaD2002 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Big accident this morning. I happened to be lying on my right side and my earlobe was folded like into my ear. Do when moved my head off the pillow, there was a suction noise from the earlobe. No muffled hearing or fullness though, but a new tinnitus noise I'm pretty sure

28. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Read my post above.

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You have much bigger issues than tinnitus that need addressing. You need to talk to your parents and then go and see your Dr. You have to speak to someone in the real world about your problems because you need to nip this behaviour in the bud. I’m not a Dr, so I can’t diagnose you, but you are displaying traits of OCD.

You are coming here for reassurance, but in the long run, this will make your situation worse. The more that people enable you on here, the worse you will get. You need real help and treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      bruh! :wideyed::dunno:

and for the record I have never used the word bruh before!

• Like Like x 1