Prom

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by kaitlyn, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. kaitlyn
      Cloud9

kaitlyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/14
      hi dr. nagler, I have prom coming up and idk what to do. I want to go but I'm hesitant because of the loud music there. I'm not sure what to do... what do you think? thanks for your time.

Kaitlyn

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994

Hi Sweet Kaitlyn -

Prom is one of the most glorious times in the life of of a high school girl - or guy. You should absolutely go. And you should absolutely look forward to going as well.

So here's what I'd do ...

Get a whole bunch of multi-colored earplugs and bring 'em with you. Wear your own earplugs throughout the evening ... and if any of your friends are curious, offer a pair to them as well. Make a fashion statement!!!! :)

Kaitlyn, it is possible that your ears might temporarily ring a little more after prom because of the loud music - in spite of your wearing earplugs. But the earplugs will prevent the loudness of the music from causing any actual damage to your auditory system - and your tinnitus will settle back down in a while. Of course it's even more likely that your tinnitus won't increase at all. I just don't want you to be surprised if it does. Either way, you'll be fine. So don't give it another thought.

One more thing -

I do not charge anybody for the advice I give here on the Doctors' Corner. But I'm making an exception in your case. Yup, I'm charging you. In return for the information above, I want you to have the best time ever, and post a photo of yourself in your prom dress so we can all ooooh and ahhhh! That's my charge.

Be well. And thanks for posting such a good question.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 4