Pulsatile Tinnitus Made Worse by Bang on Head

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pulsingeflat, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Pulsingeflat

Pulsingeflat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I've had pulsatile tinnitus for about 5 years. It became apparent when I stopped drinking (after years of alcohol abuse), but I became reasonably habituated and was only really having problems sleeping.
      A few months ago I suffered a minor head injury, and since then the volume has gone up 4x. Now I often can't sleep at all.
      I'm interested in therapies relating to anxiety, but have become more convinced there is a physical cause in my own case. I have great conductive hearing and can even hear my eyeballs moving around. This is great for practising on the bass guitar as I don't need to plug in, but not much else.
      I'm thinking about making a short video investigating tinnitus and therapy (I'm a professional photographer/videographer), and will be interested in hearing from other sufferers who might be able to contribute.
      I am based in Salisbury, UK.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Pulsingflat,

I'm also a pulsatile tinnitus sufferer. I've had it for about 4 1/2 years now, and it has been hard to live with for all of that time. Mine started suddenly after taking a blood pressure drug. I also have regular tinnitus, which was quite mild before that time, and became much more severe. The regular tinnitus has a high-pitched, hissing tone. Do you have regular tinnitus, as well as pulsatile tinnitus?

In most cases, pulsatile tinnitus is said to have a physical cause, and there are many tests that can be given to determine the cause. Those include CT scan of temporal bone, CT scan of head (with contrast), MRI/MRA and MRI/MRV, and Doppler of carotid arteries. If the doctor deems it necessary, many people with pulsatile tinnitus have an angiogram. I've had most of those tests, except for the angiogram, and a cause has not been found.

It is probably a good idea for you to seek medical advice from a qualified doctor. In the UK, I don't know how long it will take for you to get an appointment with a doctor who can help you, but it's definitely worth checking into. If your ENT is unable to help you, it is recommended that you then see a neurologist or neurotologist for further follow-up.

I hope this information helps. There are many of us PT sufferers out there, and you can also check out Whooshers.com for further information.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Welcome!

The video sounds like an excellent idea.

• Agree Agree x 1