Punched in Ear. Will My Tinnitus Go Away?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ZachB, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was punched hard in the ear and the tinnitus started right after that in both ears around beginning of January 2019. It’s gotten a bit worse and it’s high pitched ringing.

Saw audiologist and there’s no hearing loss. I know it’s only been like 5 weeks but is there still a chance it will go away or become a quiet hiss? Like do my ears just need to heal since it wasn’t prolonged /frequent loud noise that caused it?

It’s non stop and high pitched and driving me crazy. Bill Bauer or any experts here please give your input.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      Ouch! I was actually reading about a guy on facebook who has T from a similar experience.

In fact, Dana White from the UFC suffered Meneire's disease from an assault.

If you have no hearing loss, I would say your chances are good. Has your T changed *at all*?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It was mainly when sleeping that I heard it but then it recently spiked when I used white noise app on earbuds to sleep. It’s constant and high pitched and I am so scared it will stay like this forever. Past two days have been always loud, even with the earbuds white noise app I can hear the high pitch piercing through.

Near the fridge buzzzing in the kitchen can’t hear it as much but my room is very quiet and it’s insane the high pitch feels like a dentist drill.

Don’t hear it in the shower and only a bit with the tv on. Heard it get loud at the movie theatre 3 weeks in.

I hear it in the living room too, hardly when I’m outside or in a busy restaurant.

Can it really be this bad and still go away completely?

How long should I be looking at for it to get much better or go away?

4. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Using earbuds when you have tinnitus is a hot button issue on this forum - are you able to sleep without the buds? If so, do so.

A friend of mine works for Bose and they recently brought out sleep buds (small buds you sleep in that only play pre-set white noise/relaxing sounds) and he said those really aggravate some people with moderate tinnitus. I would advise you try to not use the buds.

People have had tinnitus get better spontaneously, e.g. without treatment. I will PM you the stories I have from this board and some other ones.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Doesn’t mean my tinnitus won’t go away?

7. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus is considered "acute" in the first 3-6 months, chronic after that. I've read that tinnitus is considered permanent and irreversible after 2 years, but to be honest, there are cases where people have recovered after that.

One of the success stories I sent you from this forum was one where the patient recovered nearly 2 years later.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-normal.31789/

8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I don't know, the mechanisms to why tinnitus fades even when hearing loss presist is not understood.

Let your ears rest and take magnesium for the best results.

Do not fall for snake oil promising miracle cures for tinnitus. (magnesium can help but it is NOT a cure)

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. How long until I can expect an improvement? Is the spike I’ve experienced from sleeping with earbuds temporary?

This is literally ruining my life, it has to improve. I’m gonna lose my career and more if it doesn’t fade to a manageable level.

It’s literally unbearable since the spike a few days ago. It went from being a sleeping issue and sometimes quiet rooms to everywhere

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is the million dollar question. We can't know for sure. My understanding is that most people have a gradual improvement that is slow, e.g. don't check daily, which I know is easier said than done. I've read of a few people that have a sudden silence experience, but that's not typical.

It's hard to say with your sleeping bud spike, too. I would expect there to be a gradual decline to a new baseline, which can then continue to improve.

Look after your ears and don't expose them to excessive sound.

I'm sorry to hear about the increase being so invasive. Have you considered speaking to your GP about anti-anxiety or sleeping medication?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So this fire drill in my head may be permanent and may or may not go away? :(

If this is permanently gonna be this bad idk how I’ll function as a human being

Like are my chances very good/better since no hearing loss on the test and how I got the tinnitus?

Is my tinnitus currently considered severe? I’d say it is

12. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many do recover, look at this link:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

You are still only 5 weeks in, do not assume that you won't.

"For many patients who have experienced tinnitus for less than six months, its natural course is to improve over time, and most people do not go on to have persistent, bothersome tinnitus."

https://www.enthealth.org/conditions/tinnitus/

The fact that you have no measurable hearing loss is a good thing. Not to be too Dr. Google, but considering you've had the tinnitus from trauma, have you had your GP or an ENT examine your ear to see if everything is OK?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s horrible every moment feels like torture. GP examined my ear and everything is fine.

Just this horrific tinnitus. I don’t know how people wait this out without going insane.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You should ask to see an ENT as well. My GP couldn't do much beyond a simple otoscope view of my ears.

Hold on for now, 5 weeks is a relatively short time. You could be totally T free or have very mild, unobtrusive T 6-8 months from now, happy you stuck the course.

In the short term, I would look into some sleep/anxiety meds. Also try to speak to someone in person about this. A forum is good, but there is something to be said for speaking to someone in person, be it a counsellor or psychologist.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think an ENT reviewed my file quickly before and after my hearing test

Already am speaking to a psychologist and have an anti anxiety med but not often. Literally this is torture worst than anything I ever imagined.

16. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I truly would not wish this on anyone. I'm currently going to hyberbaric oxygen therapy and most of the others I go with have very obvious physical handicaps, like MS. Some are in wheelchairs. I think, to an outsider, they must look at me and think "why is this big gymbro douche in there with them?"

This is a horrible affliction, but do know it can get better. Even if it doesn't go away completely, the symptoms can get a lot better and you may even habituate to it if it's mild enough.

It's good you're seeing a psychologist, and good that you've got some meds. Do you have others you can talk to in your personal life?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes but I stopped going to the gym, barely eat healthy, sleep is all messed up even with sleep meds, career I have no idea how I’ll do my job with this and have big interviews coming up

People get tired of me complaining of how horrible this is just to live

I’ve read the tragic stories of people who couldn’t cope, tinnitus is horrible. I just want it to improve.

Btw I had the Bose sleep buds and am returning them today. They might have caused the spike at too high volume.

18. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, don't stop going to the gym or eating healthy. Many people have started doing both of those to improve their tinnitus. You need the routine of these to anchor you.

Career wise, same thing. Keep going to work. Don't lose your routine or income.

It can improve. For now you just have to try to keep up your routine.

The buds may be adding too much volume. Interestingly, some of the success stories have said they did better when they just gave their ears some time to rest and didn't use any white noise or masking of any kind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ll try. Got into a severe depression over this. It’s so weird I took an anti anxiety med and it’s like the tinnitus calmed down somewhat.

Does the hyperbaric oxygen treatment work? I know homeopathic stuff doesn’t work and I’m skeptical on apple cider vinegar.

Most people on here like you, bill and coffee girl seem to be coping just fine. I want to get there to where it’s faded or gone and I can handle it without freaking out and grabbing my hair

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which one did you take? I'm currently on mirtazapine and I saw some anecdotal evidence it helps lower T.

It's too early for me to say about HBOT, only done 9 sessions, 6 more to go. There's definitely a 30 min spike immediately afterwards for me, but I think my T has lowered a bit. It is hard to say because there's no double-blind placebo group to compare to. If there's any sudden improvement, I will post here, but it's not meant to have an acute effect, it's supposed to get better over time. The studies on it have been very sketchy to say the least, but I felt the need to do it. It's cheap where I live and I'm just under 2 months in, so I couldn't let it pass.

Coping is not a one and done thing. If you look at the 7 stages of grief, it's not a linear thing. There are days where I feel really low, there are days where I feel better. Take things day by day just now. Unfortunately, there is no cure for us, so we simply have to manage symptoms and hope we can get better. It's what we have. We also have each other.

https://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes.

Hopefully the fading process will begin sometime over the next two months. If you don't experience any fading during the first 3-4 months, there will still be a chance that it will eventually start improving, but the chance will be lower than if the opposite happens.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Those army studies you posted showed that nearly all cases improved or spontaneously went away. Even my GP said you’re young (20s) this can still go away.

How do people cope without improvements? There’s tragic stories from tinnitus. But also success stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think there is something to be said for personality types.

One of my best friends has T and has had it since 2015.

She doesn't care one bit. When I asked her about it, she said it didn't improve, she just gets on with things. She uses a white noise app to sleep and still attends gigs, etc, regularly.

Dave Grohl has horrific tinnitus and hearing loss, he's quite happy and just gets on with life.

I think you and I, and probably most people on this forum, have a greater predisposition towards neurotic personalities. I'm sure there are other personality traits involved, too, but I think that's key. I also think level of tinnitus has a big role. If you have really loud tinnitus (e.g. 90db), how the hell are you supposed to habituate?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is it worse to not have hearing loss with tinnitus for recovery?

This study from 2017 says “Taken together, data suggest that remission can be expected with substantial recovery of hearing threshold, for instance after incidences of sudden HL or acoustic trauma while remission is not to be expected if tinnitus onset was not associated with a recent incidence of HL.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5701924/#!po=23.8889

My tinnitus today is like 0.3% better than yesterday it’s a high pitched buzzing but it’s loud and so distracting.

25. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No. Think about it. Your ears haven't got anything wrong with them, unlike mine.

The equipment is all in working order, according to our dated and incomplete technology.

What kind of tests did they do on you when you were first punched in the ear? Have they done an MRI on you? CT scan?

26. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Hi man! I'll quickly tell my story. I was very into martial arts and one day I got punched on my right ear really hard. I got the normal ringing for about 5 days and it disappeared. Then a guy hit me on the same ear from behind and I got very severe tinnitus that brought me to the brink of suicide but it disappeared after 10 days! But after about 1-2 months the same guy kicked me on the same ear (an accident). Unlucky is not the word to even describe it. The same very severe tinnitus started again and has remained. That was 3.5 years ago. I suffer like hell very single day. But my T is not "normal". It has many different sounds (mostly high pitched around 9-12 kHz) that change every second are totally unfrequent. So I can probably never ever habituate. If you have a ringing that's constant, the chance of you habituating is way bigger. You will get through this, I promise <3

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am seeing another ENT next month.

I am just really worried because it is a) very loud in any quiet area b) I have sound sensitivity even to music c) no real improvements yet if anything minor tiny ones

I wonder if it’s not gonna improve much and if I’ll end up with this constant state of anxiety I have now whenever I hear it (not much in public) forever or the constant loudness of it.

I’m just not very hopeful at the moment despite that other people improved.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow that’s a lot of injuries, I hope you’re ok. My T is around 3700 Hz.

I’m worried it won’t reduce in volume and fade and that it might not go away.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ZachB

ZachB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am losing hope that it will improve. It’s super loud high pitched both ears and non stop and I’m averaging 2 hours sleep per night.

I’m trying to hold on to see if it will fade but I highly doubt it will go away the severity of the tinnitus and how it hasn’t changed much or just got worse since onset 6 weeks ago.

Am I wrong?

30. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PatrickG - that guy deserves to burn in hell