Quarantine Has Dehabituated Me :( Anxiety and Helplessness Have Come Back

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ruth Gil, May 25, 2020.

1. Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      I was very much habituated to the point where I had no emotional reaction to my tinnitus, but with the quarantine and feeling isolated the anxiety and hopelessness have come back. I know everyone is having a hard time with the pandemic situation, but I feel like people with tinnitus are having a waaaay harder time.

I just wanted to vent and feel some of the empathy that you guys have always shown me.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Ruth Gil:

Your comments remind me exactly of my current state; with this enforced isolation and idleness, instead of my pre COVID-19 routine dozen daily checks on my tinnitus, I am now neurotically notifying myself perhaps 30 times per day of the state of this condition. Recently, I was shouting so loudly in my parked car when I hit a spike that various people approached me to ask if I required assistance. With intense embarrassment I thanked them and replied that I was OK (although nothing could have been further from the truth).

Our Chicago Tribune has had numerous reports of the anticipated increase in heart attacks, domestic violence incidents, and suicides as a result of the insecurity and isolation from this pandemic. This is especially worsened when there is a routinely, barely manageable condition such as tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3
    3. tbuzz89

tbuzz89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Intrusive 03/2020; Very mild 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools as a trigger, AirPods for the long term damage.
      My onset of T coincided with the beginning of the COVID-19 stay at home orders. This is a uniquely stressful time for everyone and I hope that once things begin to get back to a semblance of normalcy, everyone suffering more than needed with the constant noise will find some relief.

Hang in there, @Ruth Gil. I know it's cliché to say 'remain positive,' but we have to have hope that things will get better in order to keep moving forward, day by day. You're not alone.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am also facing increased anxiety from tinnitus during quarantine. My tinnitus has also gotten more somatic in the past few weeks, not sure if it is because I'm taking supplements.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      I'm sorry to hear, spikes are awful. I know exactly how you feel, this time is specially hard for us with tinnitus. I hope you start feeling better soon.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Thank you so much for your reply, when things get rough (or rougher, in our case) messages like these can mean a lot! I'm already feeling way better. I just can't wait for this whole COVID-19 mess to finish.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      Well, supplements or not, one thing is for sure: tinnitus + quarantine is the worst combo possible, lol! Either way, I hope you're able to find some relief. My anxiety was pretty bad on Monday and my mood has already improved so much, so yours can, too.