Quercetin: Tinnitus, Anxiety, Allergies, Prevent Scarring, Lower BP, Fight Infections and More

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Mar 31, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I am taking a supplement of Quercetin. Good stuff!

Anybody else?

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Has anyone tried taking Quercetin for their tinnitus? I've also got prostate issues which said could be helped by this supplement, but it seems that Quercetin may also be ear friendly.

Any experiences you could share would be helpful.

3. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Bringing this BACK TO LIFE!

Guys, Quercetin (as well as large doses of Vitamin C) may be the best thing yet for fighting off COVID-19.
      Quercetin as an Antiviral Agent Inhibits Influenza A Virus (IAV) Entry

Very much so that a Canadian lab is now doing trials in China:

A made-in-Canada solution to the coronavirus outbreak?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      My theory is a lot of these protection compounds just get in the way of the toxin via concentration gradients or being less ototoxic than the toxin. Pretty simple explanation. Enough vitamins or calcium would help just the same.

6. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      @BrStan@, I found the same two studies and was wondering the same thing.

It says significant protection, but that doesn't tell you how much. Also dissection microscopy may not be as sensitive as tinnitus is in a human.

Another possibility is that Quercetin is ototoxic in vitro but not in vivo, or at least not at the dosage that may be used. This is because methionine protects against Quercetin ototoxicity. An amino acid will be found in vivo from meat in the diet but not in vitro.

Another zinc ionosphere is EGCG. I have not found anything saying that is ototoxic. However, EGCG comes from green tea or other plants. Well, Quercetin comes from Ginkgo biloba and also the study says Kaempferol which is also found in Ginkgo biloba is ototoxic. Well, Kaempferol is also in green tea, so any green tea extract for EGCG would likely contain kaempferol even if it does not contain Queretin.

One would need an EGCG isolate, and I do not think that is available. Or, need to know if Quercetin is not ototoxic in vivo. Also EGCG has not been tested for ototoxicity.

I wanted to take an antiviral for chronic muscle pain and fatigue called "Novirin". I noticed one ingredient was Quercetin. This reminded me of an ototoxic medication Hydroxychloroquine as I believe they are related and anything malaria related can be ototoxic. The ATA website does not list Quercetin, but does list Hydroxychloroquine and I believe I saw another site mention Quercetin being ototoxic and now I found those studies.

I have tinnitus and also want to avoid ototoxic things now that I have learned about them.

7. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I was wondering about taking Quercetin. Besides the points raised, is it safe to take while taking a SSRI and benzo?

8. applewine
      Curious

applewine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ME/CFS, Dysautonomia
      I don't think I'd take Quercetin. Could be ototoxic for anyone asking. There are better alternatives. Check the ATA website for medication list for anything ototoxic.

• Like Like x 1
    9. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      This is my area of research.

Quercetin glycoside is a polyphenol isoflavone antioxidant. I grow out small brown chick peas into sprouts, soy beans are very rich and I sprout those out as well.

There is huge research literature on these human friendly molecules. Such as promote bone, cardiovascular, metabolic and brain health.

I don't trust supplements, they are expensive and I prefer to create them at home.

Barley and rye polyphenols are also enhanced by sprouting and fermentation, I do all that at home. This is for the fish oil like effects.

Depending on glycoside aglycone, your supplement may not even be absorbed, plus can you trust what they say on the label? For sure good for you. May even help tinnitus but I do not know research.

Best is to learn how to sprout. I use a collander in a bowl with a lid. Plastic collander. And peroxide.

• Creative Creative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      What are the better alternatives?

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Dilemma. I have read the link posted here about Quercetin possibly being ototoxic when applied directly to hair cells of zebra fish, but unsure how this relates to humans.

I suspect that Quercetin was helping me last year, but too scared to take it again in case it has contributed to my relapse.

Does anyone know if Quercetin is ototoxic?

12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Nonsense. Quercetin is found in many things, e.g., red wine, onions, green tea, apples, and berries.

Paranoid to think it would be ototoxic in humans. So paranoid actually that there are zero references to it even potentially being ototoxic in humans on PubMed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes, but would it be ototoxic in mammals at higher concentrations?

There was one study referenced on Tinnitus Talk that indicated it was ototoxic in zebra fish, but as I said 'I am not sure how that translates to humans...'

14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @DebInAustralia -- Really sorry to hear about your difficult relapse with tinnitus.

I don't know whether or not quercetin could be ototoxic for some people, but I highly doubt it. I started taking high doses of Quercetin recently (4 grams/day), first in January when I got COVID-19 (because it really supports immune system function), and then decided to keep taking it because it's a great natural anti-histamine. -- Quercetin – The Best Natural Antihistamine – Foods With Quercetin – Dr.Berg

It feels like it's been a real net positive for me, and my breathing seems a bit easier. I also learned in my research that it has a half life of about 3 1/2 hours in the body, so that might give you a sense of assurance if you decide to try it. It's not something that would hang around for days causing continuing damage like a lot of drugs.

I recall a post of yours where you seem to have a hard time calming yourself with your recent increase in tinnitus. I just did a post on castor oil packs that you may find interesting. It's one of many tools I use regularly to keep a sense of equilibrium for myself. -- Take care Deb!

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you.

Has it helped quieten your tinnitus?

16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something has taken my tinnitus down a notch in the past several weeks. I credit it to some kind of combination of three things: 1) 4x 1 gram Quercetin; 2) 1-2 oz. Poppy Seeds; & 3) 30K IUs of Vit. D3 daily. My best guess is that it was the poppy seeds and D3 that were primarily responsible. I will say however, that the Quercetin (which is often taken for allergies) seems to have made my breathing easier, and that might have more of an impact than I'm aware of. Quercetin is a strong anti-histamine, and a strong immune system modulator.

17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you @Lane.

I love reading your posts. Sorry I forget to respond. My brain is scattered at the present.

I will say that my interest in Quercetin lays in its ability to modulate Kv channels. I have also learnt that histamine blocks/inhibits Kv channels. So maybe that is why you are on the improve.

• Like Like x 1
    18. buttercake

buttercake Guest

I have been taking 400 mg of Quercetin (+ Bromelain) twice a day for the past 2 weeks. So far it is doing nothing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      No one else here on an SSRI? Trying to decide if it's a good idea to try Quercetin while on Luvox lol.

20. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Is Quercetin a part of the Ginkgo plant?

21. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Lane, hope you're well.

Just wondering if you're still taking Quercetin?

22. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @DebInAustralia -- I am still taking it. But I take and do so many things, it's often hard to discern what's working and what isn't. So then I will often not do something for a while, and then restart. Haven't really done that with Quercetin, because my intuition tells me it's a good thing to keep doing. I recently read it's not water soluble, so it's important to take it with food that has fat in it.

Something that I think is helping me the most recently, primarily because it's improved my sleep, is a product called Tone Pacer PRO. I wrote about my experience in the following thread:

Tone Pacer PRO App — Has a Very Soothing Effect on My Auditory Cortex

23. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Isn't that a very high dose of vitamin D3? Are you taking vitamin K2 to offset that? Such high doses of vitamin D3 aren't safe long term. I might be wrong about dosage but I do think it's super high off the top of my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can prepare Quercetin, which is isoflavone, at home, by simmering soy bean, immersing in super hot milk, allowing to cool, inoculating with Kefir.

Soy bean has amino acid profile of beef, so it is quite healthy, and the isoflavones are good for you, besides promoting sleep.

You can also do desi chickpea sprouting, this is technically more difficult, but it is doable. Problem is the chickpeas can get moldy on you, it needs to get to 6-7 days stage, but that is doable if you spray them with 2-3% peroxide on a daily basis. "Peroxide shock" is a lab method to induce antioxidant production, so it could have additional benefit. The Professor at the University wants to write a paper about this with me, but we need a hard working grad student to take this on. The Professor applied for and has the research funds, even to hire staff. The University has sprouting chambers, and the HPLC for measuring the isoflavones, we were just frustrated a bit by COVID-19 which put a damper on things.

Ideally go all vegetarian and you might convert yourself to and "equol producer" which is beta estradiol analogue. It's non feminizing so quite safe for males, don't worry.

Soy beans in Canada are $1 per pound from Bulk Barn. They have "Seniors Day" 25% discount. Their soy beans are Canadian grown. The amino acid profile is the same as beef. You just need to make sure you are getting your Omega 3's which are your essential fatty acids. Hemp oil is also good, it has GLA which your body might be able to convert to your essential fatty acid requirement.

• Like Like x 1
    25. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      Hey, may I ask you if you use Quercetin yourself, and if so, at what doses?

Do you think that Quercetin could potentiate the effectiveness of anticonvulsants when co-administrated?

26. object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, I can't tell you my dose of isoflavones, I don't have access to HPLC, so all I can say is soy sprout is the richest source of isoflavones.

As for anticonvulsant properties, not that I'm aware of, but they do have sedative properties, so useful for people like us who often report difficulty with sleep, me especially, sleep is ridiculous.

Right now, I've discovered I've got some kind of incurable leukemia/lymphoma, I'm thinking I'm not long for this world, actually something I was hoping for for several years, I think I've been "subclinical" for a few years, which however explains a lot... such as relentless fatigue and search for effective sedative, including but not limited to novel cannabinoids, such as CBDV/THCV.

• Hug Hug x 1