Quick Question: Are Headphones Safe When Used for Meditation or Nature Sounds?

bellafjelle

Author
Feb 3, 2017
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
Hello all,

We all know that headphones is not the best option when listening to music or movies and such.

However, does the headphones still pose a threat when using them for meditation and/or nature sounds?

Hello all,

We all know that headphones is not the best option when listening to music or movies and such.

However, does the headphones still pose a threat when using them for meditation and/or nature sounds?

If your tinnitus was originally caused by "loud noise" I advise you not to use headphones to listen to any type of audio even at low volume. Some people with tinnitus that was caused by loud noise, use headphones without any adverse effects but there is always a risk of making the tinnitus worse, even at low volume. Read some of the posts in this forum, from people that had habituated and their tinnitus was low. They returned to using headphones keeping the volume low and the tinnitus increased, and will not reduce to baseline. Many people with tinnitus regret using headphones.

If your tinnitus wasn't caused by loud noise, I still wouldn't advise using headphones but it's your choice.

Michael

Yes sound is sound. Listening to hard rock could be less damaging than nature sounds if you play them at high volume :D
If you use a low volume (15-20 %), it should not be a threat in my opinion, regardless what you're listening to.

Ok.

What about using headphones when doing Acoustic Neuromodulation? Would you still consider that dangerous?

What about using headphones when doing Acoustic Neuromodulation? Would you still consider that dangerous?

The way I understand it Neuromodulation plays a series of tones or bleeps which are not like music and therefore has no syncopation throughout it's frequency range where as music does. You should be okay.
Michael

I finally figured it out. Michael is a MIT rocket scientist :)

He knows way too much about headphones and i wouldn't be surprised if he has future prototypes hidden in his closet..lol

I finally figured it out. Michael is a MIT rocket scientist :)
He knows way too much about headphones and i wouldn't be surprised if he has future prototypes hidden in his closet..lol

lol @fishbone. I'm nothing of the sort but wish I were. I used to use high quality headphones for many years to listen to my music, which eventually gave me tinnitus. I'm a carpenter & joiner sorry to disappoint..lol

Michael

Ok.

I use headphones for all kinds of sounds, including Acoustic Neuromodulation.
As far as I know, syncopation is not an issue for Tinnitus: I can't find any paper mentioning any link.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now