Reactive Tinnitus — Removal of Reactivity. Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Support' started by osoba, Jan 16, 2018.

1. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

I did abruptly stop them after 4 years of use.

People who have gotten reactive tinnitus from benzos (I'm not pretending to know their whole story):

@RaZaH
      @Brian P
      @Kristen Aber

Countless people on BenzoBuddies.

2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      The way I would describe mine is both my ears have an epileptic fit of loud fizzing when exposed to a constant sound, which only needs to be 30 dB too. I'm 11 months in.

Is your tinnitus bilateral? The only thing to help me has been Clonazepam, which I've used since April. I've used it sporadically so far (30 mg total) since acquiring it mid-April. I originally had ear pain for the first 4 months.

3. Jon R.

Jon R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 & then again in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st tone 2001 ear plugs, 3 other tones 2021 Pfizer vaccine
      Everything I kept quoted above is very similar to me, 19 months in now to the reactive and hissing part, along with a rumbling hum I have had for 20 years. Joy of life ruined, music ruined, audiobooks ruined, doing hobbies I used to enjoy ruined.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Strawberryblonde
      Greedy

Strawberryblonde Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (12/2015) mild-mod (5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many reasons who truly knows
      Music soothed my mind and calmed me better than any drug could. To have that taken away is so cruel, especially not being able to wear any type of headphones.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. UKBloke
      Caffeine

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      It can be worth experimenting with a few speaker types. I eventually invested in a pair of near-filed monitors like these. The sound is much less intrusive to hyperacuse-y ears than laptop speakers for example (even expensive MacBook Pro ones) that were driving me crackers.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    6. Strawberryblonde
      Greedy

Strawberryblonde Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (12/2015) mild-mod (5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many reasons who truly knows
      Thanks @UKBloke for the recommendation of some quality speakers :) I do still listen to music, just at a much lower level than my pre-tinnitus days. But not on my headphones anymore :( I just loved my headphones and being in my own world. It helped me destress.

• Like Like x 3
    7. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are things any better, @Aline Mohymont?

8. Aline Mohymont

Aline Mohymont Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin drops and Z-pack and methylprednisolone
      Actually, no. My reactive tinnitus is off the roof. I went to see an otologist that specializes in hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus. I don’t know what all the fuss is about the use of the “reactive” term. Doctors are using it to describe the type of tinnitus I have. Anyway, my tinnitus is a category 4, level 10. So, it’s bad. The only thing that got better is my hyperacusis. I did sound therapy, though.

Yes, it’s in both ears. High pitch hiss, plus a church bell in the left with occasionally Morse codes and the “eeeee” in the left.

And again, my tinnitus was not the result of a sound trauma; it was a combination of ototoxic meds (Neomycin, Azithromycin, and Methylprednisolone).

It is just hell!

• Hug Hug x 5
    9. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Aline Mohymont, I'm almost 1 year in with tinnitus, pain hyperacusis for 5-6 months. Loudness hyperacusis almost back to normal (80-90%). Reactive tinnitus the same or slightly worse but unstable with debilitating days and bearable days. Waking up is depressing, although I sleep 6-7 hours on 30 mg Mirtazapine.