Really Hating Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Skydra, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Skydra

Skydra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21/2014
      As I'm writing this I'm trying to cope with a high pitched sound, as well as intense pain in my left ear. I think something is seriously wrong. I saw my doctor on Friday, he suspects barotrauma. He told me to pinch my nose & blow 10 times, per a day, and take Cliritin D. I also gotta get a CAT scan, and follow up with a ENT asap.

Assuming I have barotrama, will the tinnitus go a way, once the condition is treated?
      I feel my sanity slipping away. O_O

2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I would seriously avoid doing what your doctor has advised you.

What you're performing is called the "valsalva maneuver" and can actually cause a barotrauma.

I know very well as I made a habit of performing this maneuver early in my tinnitus days and accidentally caused a barotrauma in my left ear leading to worsened tinnitus and horrible hyperacusis.

I suspect your doctor has very little knowledge on the subject and has given you some shoddy advice, performing a valsalva maneuver 10 times per day will do nothing for you at this moment in time.

What happened leading up to your tinnitus? Excessive noise exposure, a virus, rapid pressure change from an air trip or diving, etc?

Depending on your circumstances, you might benefit from oral corticosteroid treatment. This is something you will want to discuss with your ENT. Basically they give you a short course of high dose oral (or intra-tympanic) steroids that can sometimes help in recovery from acoustic injury. It's important to start treatment with oral steroids as soon as possible if you do decide to pursue it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I agree...Valsalva can be detrimental, it was for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      With different types of T,I think these exercises can be more problematic long run ,I'm always wary to trying some of them myself ,so I agree with Telis and Yonkapin on this ,I've wondered would some of these set of these balance problems some of us have ,or neck aches for some after they get T .? Odd one this is to answer for some ,Do you ,or don't you risk these exercises . I just take on board what others say to them .then decide,before doing them
      Not all exercises are wrong my husband and daughter do this Valsalva and there fine ,but I haven't ,as my T is different from husbands .So I'm reluctant .

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Skydra

Skydra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21/2014
      My tinnitus started, with the onset of a cold. I think I actually have Eustachian tube dysfunction.

On the bright side, my T got a tad softer. Maybe there is hope for me.

Permanent tinnitus should have had a cure by now. It's not the 1920's.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Skydra,

I'm glad to hear that your tinnitus has gotten softer. Yes, there is hope for you! A lot of us have had problems with the Eustachian tubes, and I agree with Yonkapin about corticosteroid treatment. If you can get a prescription for that, it might help the ear pain, etc., a lot.

I think we all agree that there should be a cure by now. There are trials in the works as we speak, so maybe there will be a breakthrough soon. In the meantime, please stay strong, and don't give up hope!

Let us know what happens after you have the CT scan, and have that follow-up appointment with your doctor.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      don't do the valsalva maneuver.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @beemovie, I noticed you said your doctor suspected barotrauma. What exactly did he/she think caused this barotrauma? It doesn't happen on its own. My tinnitus came from barotrauma... but I got it by taking a long airplane flight when I had an undetected sinus infection.

You may indeed have eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) and if that is the case, I agree with those who said corticosteroid treatment (the sooner, the better) is a good idea.

I can, and have, done the valsalva maneurver in certain situations -- gently, carefully and very rarely. But its not going to solve your ETD and it indeed can hurt you if you do it wrong.

Also agree you should get treatment for your anxiety if necessary.

9. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah its really just ridiculous and pathetic that theres nothing out-- only ways to naturally get use to it which is okay but not acceptible especially in the 21st century. We getting closer though, so there is plenty of hope.. Just always stick positive.

10. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      No, That was Skydra. I did not get mine from barotrauma.

11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      No, That was
      Skydra. I did not get mine from barotrauma.

Oops, sorry!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Skydra

Skydra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21/2014
      The ENT determined TMJ disorder is the culprit, which results from sleep clenching, which results from stress, gah. As much as I would love to seek treatment, I can't right now. My insurance doesn't cover jack, in the TMJ department. Tinnitus is louder then ever, teeth, face and ears hurt like crazy. I swear I gone nearly death. I fear by the time I get treatment it will be too late. :(