Receding Gumline

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Sen, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I've been having an issue with my bottom gums that I believe are receding rapidly. I have recession around my upper teeth as well, but it is much less significant. I am 28 years old.

I've seen my dentist about it and he thinks it's being caused by nighttime bruxism. I had a bite plate from years ago drilled and refitted and I've been using it for about a week now. I asked him if he thought it could be caused by aggressive brushing, and he said "Oh, no, nothing like that." Regardless, I have been trying to brush gently, but I am not sure if it is gently enough. He also said there were no other signs of gum disease.

My bottom front two teeth almost feel wiggly and I can feel them scraping against each other sometimes. There is sensitivity and sometimes mild soreness.

I brush twice a day with an ultra soft brush and floss before bed. I drink black coffee in the morning a few hours before I eat and tea at noon. I eat virtually nothing with added sugar. I don't drink any type of juice or soda. I've been smoking pot almost daily for a little over 10 years now, and I quit recently in fear of that contributing.

What else can I do to help prevent it from worsening or to reverse it? I have no dental insurance and am very poor, so it will be a financial disaster if I end up requiring grafts. It will be an even bigger disaster for my hearing issues if I need to have any work done with a drill.

I posted pictures of it on another forum and was told the following:
      This is causing a lot of anxiety, especially since I can't seem to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Sen
      I am sorry to hear about your recding gumline problem and hope you will be able to get some help. One thing I would like to recommend that might make life a little easier and that's to do with dental flossing. I use a Waterpik. Bought on the advice of my dentist as I was having build-up of plague. Forgive me if you already know what this device is. It is a container filled with luke warm water. A hand-held wand is attached that squirts the water out under pressure and cleans out food and plague between the teeth. It is much more efficient and easier t to use than dental floss. I no-longer have plague problems. Just type Waterpik into youtube to see the videos. Available from Amazon.
      Al the best
      Michael

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      That product is $100. Is it really worth it? It will take me months to pay that back on a credit card.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand your financial predicament @Sen Iam retired due to tinnitus and live on a limited income. Believe me: The waterpik or the Kitty Hydro flosser is far superior to using dental floss. 2hrs ago I can from my dentist. It was a routine 6 month check-up. She said everything is fine and no work needed to be done. I used to have lots of problems regarding plague and I was heading for receding gumlines and gingervitis- sorry if I spelt that wrong. I no longer have these problems since using the Waterpik- The Kitty Hydro flosser is also good. They are worth their weight in gold. Honestly you won't regret it.
      Take care
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Is this it?

https://www.amazon.ca/Waterpik-WP-6...=UTF8&qid=1497376807&sr=8-4&keywords=waterpik

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I'll think about it.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When my dentist told me about it 3 years ago I was also sceptical. I watched the videos and took a chance and glad that I did as I no-longer have plague problems and touch wood no receding gumlines or gingervites.
      Best of luck
      Michael

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You might have an infection down in your gum around the root of the tooth.
      A deep clean right to the root area might be needed and xray
      Love glynis

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Can that happen around multiple teeth? Because it's not just one tooth, it is straight across my 8 front bottom teeth, from my first molar on the right all the way to my first molar on the left.

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes it can and local anasetic will be needed to do a deep root clean.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    12. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Don't worry too much. I had this too : thin gums and agressive brushing caused recession. No periodontal disease at all.
      Your teeth are likely not in danger because of this, you just have to brush them gently with a soft brush just like you already do. It shouldn't worsen then.

Get your bone level checked just in case.

I ended up with grafts but it was not urgent or mandatory. It was expensive and not convenient for a few months so don't go this way for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Not sure he has an infection and needs a deep cleaning.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      How gently are we talking? I honestly have no idea.

If I brush too gently it feels like it's not cleaning them properly.

15. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      One useful advice from my periodontist: "It's not about the intensity, but the duration of brushing". You can be gentle and increase the duration. At least more then 2 minutes of gentle brush. Use always floss or an interdental brush and a medical mouthwash. Keep in mind that plaque can turn into stone in 24 hours, so brush at least twice a day. No stone means healthy gums.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      So can I apply no pressure and just glide it around? I don't quite understand how much force I am supposed to use.

Can you give me an example of a "medical mouthwash"?

17. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Be careful with mouthwash, they shouldn't be necessary if you brush and floss carefully unless you have specific problems.

But yes, increase the duration. Hold your brush with your fingertips, so you can't use much force.

18. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      eg. Chlorexil, Eludril etc. but yes discuss it with your doctor first.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Thank you @Foncky, @Michael Leigh, @glynis and @vermillion !

Foncky, can you tell me exactly how receded your gums were? My roots are pretty visible in the bottom front 8 teeth. Can I PM you a picture?

20. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      On two top molars they were very receded. 4 others were also receded but not as much.

21. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Glynis is correct on the cleaning. It's seems that you are losing bone tissue under those teeth that are lose from grinding. I been there. Buy a self molding mouth guard for 20 bucks.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      All of my receeded teeth are in the front and bottom. The molars, in comparison, are not bad. Can I PM you a photograph?

23. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Cleaning around the root will encourage new gum blood flow and tissue and firm up your gums ....don't use floss only tiny dental brushes twice a day to firm up gums and stop gum bleeding and any plaque.
      Use a dental mouth wash to stop gum disease as well as brushing .
      A mouth guard can stop teeth grinding...
      Have 3 month dental checks until teeth and gums are better with a dental hygienists.
      Love glynis

24. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Sure.

Glynis, this doesn't seem to be gum disease. The dentist has to say if a deep cleaning is needed but if not, he shouldn't do it "just in case".

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I have a bite plate already that I wear to sleep. I had it made years ago and my dentist was able to drill it down and refit it so I wouldn't have to buy a new one.

26. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My dentist wants me to rinse my mouth twice a day with PERIDEX. Most drugs that can cause tinnitus have a risk factor that is very low, well under three percent. PERIDEX is over three percent. I never could find percentage data on drugs that could increase tinnitus, other than talk on forums. I'm not sure if I should use this treatment for the next several weeks?

http://factmed.com/study-PERIDEX-causing-TINNITUS.php

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      You could try oil pulling with an edible oil like coconut oil

28. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      my dad is a dentist - here is cheap trick that works well overall for slow receiding gums due to age etc.. not due to a specific condition

rinse your mouth well with salted water before brushing

also don't use mouth flush right before brushing, a this softens gums

salt - diluted in water- will harden the gums for a short while, then you can brush your teeth this will prevent further damage and gum sensitivity / pain when brushing

• Like Like x 1
    29. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      And why is that ? For how long ?

30. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Foncky The dentist wanted me to use PERIDEX for a few weeks because I had a stem placed in bone for an implant. The upper part of stem and new tooth has not been placed yet. So the use of PERIDEX would be for infection. He also wanted me to use PERIDEX for assorted problems listed in link below.

As factmed states above, PERIDEX is listed at 3.25% as causing tinnitus. There's a lot of tinnitus sufferers that have posted on dental boards that say PERIDEX made their tinnitus worse. PERIDEX isn't used as often compared to other medications.

Many treatments are mentioned as being possible toxic for those with tinnitus, but most of the time that shouldn't be a worry. The use of PERIDEX appears to be one in the 'think twice' zone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_dysfunction