Regrets a Day After MRI Scan — Louder Tinnitus and I Feel I've Suffered Some Hearing Loss

Leevi

Author
Jul 7, 2021
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Exposure to audio
Hey folks!

I'm a long time follower but decided to write my first post after yesterday's incident.

First some information. I have had tinnitus for more than 10 years now. I got it after exposure to a loud noise (movie theater). In the beginning it was quite bad but I was able to habituate and it also subsided though there have been various spikes through the journey.

Anyway, I have been battling with multiple issues this year. A few months ago I started to have a bad neck pain which led me to a kind of spiral of misfortunes. I started to have hard time to sleep, I started to suffer even more from various mental health issues like depression and anxiety. I got some neurological problems. Not long after the first neck pain episode, I went to the emergency room but no reason was found, a pinched nerve was speculated as a reason. I kind of left it at that and continued with my life. Fast forward a few months and I finally decided to seek more help for my various issues. At this point my tinnitus was doing really well. I went to see a doctor who said that my neck might be a result of muscle issues. I also booked an appointment with a physiotherapist. And soon after with another doctor. I met the doctor on Sunday and after hearing my story, she suggested an MRI scan. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned my tinnitus to her, I certainly did with my previous doctor. At this point I started to be very desperate and "foggy". So the doctor referred me to a private clinic in another city which offers MRI and various other scans.

Two days after that I had my first appointment with the physiotherapist and he thought that my neck situation isn't probably that bad. I should point out that there had been coming out various odd noises from my neck too. This has made me even more stressed and anxious. The physiotherapist also questioned the need for the MRI but said that I could do it just for the sake of peace of mind. And I agreed.

A day after that I was off to a scan. Before that I was supposed to have a call with a GP for my depression but this never happened. Needless to say that I started to be quite broken at this point.

Before my MRI, a person told me about the process and that it would be loud. I already knew that and I had brought my own earplugs but I didn't use those for some reason. I guess I trusted their judgement. The person led me to the room where the machine was and she asked if I would like to listen to music and I agreed. She gave me headphones. At this point I started to be quite worried but agreed to continue. The person said that the process would last 15 minutes which seemed like a relief because I was expecting it to be closer to 30 minutes, but later it turned out that it was just a part or something like that and the total was indeed around 30 minutes. Initially the music playing in the headphones was way too loud and I asked to reduce it a lot. All in all the whole scan experience was louder than I expected but not so loud that I would have immediately left. But multiple times I considered doing so. When the scan ended, my ears were ringing louder and the panic and realization started to set in.

On the journey back home I kept saying that I should not have done this and I kept wondering what had I done.

I woke up a few hours ago and the loud ringing is still there but it is a bit better now. I'm feeling very depressed again and not sure what to do. I would appreciate all the encouragements and kind thoughts. I'm really afraid that I may have damaged my hearing much more from the incident. I feel like I have suffered some hearing loss.

All this is kind of ironic because I have even avoided certain depression medications because there is a risk that it might spike my tinnitus. And now I may have destroyed my hearing by making a terrible decision like this. I feel like such a big idiot. But I also feel that my decisions may have been clouded by my other issues. I wonder how rational I was in my decision. Now afterwards, it certainly looks a very foolish one.

I have so many various issues going at the moment, louder tinnitus is the last one I needed. All this feels so unreal and hard to believe. I was in a pretty good position health wise and then it all just came crashing down.

Yeah... been there and still going through it. Shoulder issues, gut issues, neck issues, etc. In truth, I used (and still occasionally use) Xanax for anxiety due to extreme stress - and the tinnitus only makes the cycle worse. I did the same thing as you - had not one, but 2 MRIs. They are loud - used earplugs for one, not the other. Holy moly - any tech who advises music (which you cannot bloody hear) over earplugs is a sadist.

In truth - you made the decision in your best interest. Don't second guess that!

As far as your anxiety/depression, I ended up on Lexapro because of my tinnitus. And no... I do not regret it. I'd look into an antidepressant if I were you since it is a great option we have in today's day and age,

Keep the faith... and keep positive. It's life... and you're not being punished for poor decisions. You are like everyone else... living with the fallout of simply 'living'. Take care of yourself and try to find time to relax and enjoy life (a cold beer is my favorite).

Cheers.

I understand this happened around a day ago. In case you think it could be a new acoustic trauma, you ought to consult a doctor on corticosteroids ("Prednisone") and NAC. Time - days, even hours - is critical for the potential effectiveness of such treatment. (I am not a doctor, just somebody who read this a lot of times on the forum, so you can search on here apart from consulting a doctor).

Yea if you want to ask your doctor for a course of Prednisone, you can come armed with this study info on correct dosage for acoustic trauma:

Comparison of oral steroid regimens for acute acoustic trauma caused by gunshot noise exposure

And we all make mistakes with our tinnitus. I was nearly habituated and went for some audiology tests just for the hell of it and they made it much worse.
Why do they allow these tests? I have asked both my ENT and my vestibular therapist and both said they (ECoG, Acoustic Reflex Test) are safe tests. I'm like no thanks.

Having chased down the full text -- this is a single study with a total of 29 patients in it, no control group, and the actual threshold differences found between groups is <10 dB (<5 dB in cases) which puts that to within the realm of accuracy of such tests.

This needs larger cohorts as well as a comparison to a group that received no prednisone.

It's also worth noting that the most treated group still shows fairly profound hearing loss in the 6-8 kHz range, as well.

The other thing that study notes is that the effectiveness of this drops radically as time since exposure increases. These were military studies and people were likely treated very quickly following exposure; delaying 24 hours hurts the efficiency a lot, and other studies I've seen show essentially no benefits to steroids out past ~48 hours.

This makes sense, because if the goal is to prevent the body's inflammatory process from creating additional damage, your window for doing so is very, very short.

Only calling this out because taking 60 mg Prednisone for 10 days is guaranteed to make a person into a hormonal insomniac wreck, so that only seems worth rolling the dice on if there's some reasonable chance of it helping.

Hey folks!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and wishes!

This morning after reading your messages, I decided to have an appointment with a doctor here. So I did. I explained my situation and she said that this drug may work indeed but she cannot prescribe it. So she booked another appointment for me an hour later.

I explained my situation to the new doctor and he almost immediately shot the idea down. He said that it's way too dangerous and may trigger bipolar episodes. When I told him that I had asked from the previous doctor about the side effects, and that she had said that the amount of drug would be so small, he said that she didnt't know what she was talking about and was irresponsible.

He also kept questioning the severity of possible MRI damage and said that it has more to do about being nervous. He said that the noise should not affect the tinnitus.

When I brought up my anxiety and said that I might need the medicine just in case, he said that it is a wrong attitude and shows that a patient is not really committed to the treatment.

He prescribed Sertraline. And for tinnitus he prescribed Betaserc.

Doctors… some are good, some not. The worst ones tell you tinnitus has no cure. Awful thing to tell a scared patient. The truth is it DOES get better… either by cycling down, general healing, or habituation. Mine spikes with loud sharp sounds, ingestion too much salt, stress (work or life related), and allergies. A lot of things can spike your tinnitus, but everyone's different… you just have to be aware of what yours are… and listen to your tinnitus to help you moderate those factors.

As far as anxiety, your doctor sounds a bit closed off. Get a second opinion, and discuss your anxiety… not your tinnitus. Most anxiety drugs (SSRIs in particular) can also be a trigger for some people, just as alcohol can… so it's not a cure, just a means to control your reaction to your tinnitus in the short term until you can manage it better.

I can say I was really depressed and anxious about my tinnitus… and some days are worse than others… but it is getting better. The best drug I have for managing my tinnitus is holding my wife… her support is literally the best drug I have. So what I suggest is make sure you have positive people in your life you can call and who can listen/support you during the bad episodes.

I'll pray for your continued improvement! Silence is never truly silent… so focus on each day, live in the moment, and be good to yourself whenever you can.

Doctors… some are good, some not. The worst ones tell you tinnitus has no cure. Awful thing to tell a scared patient. The truth is it DOES get better… either by cycling down, general healing, or habituation. Mine spikes with loud sharp sounds, ingestion too much salt, stress (work or life related), and allergies. A lot of things can spike your tinnitus, but everyone's different… you just have to be aware of what yours are… and listen to your tinnitus to help you moderate those factors.

As far as anxiety, your doctor sounds a bit closed off. Get a second opinion, and discuss your anxiety… not your tinnitus. Most anxiety drugs (SSRIs in particular) can also be a trigger for some people, just as alcohol can… so it's not a cure, just a means to control your reaction to your tinnitus in the short term until you can manage it better.

I can say I was really depressed and anxious about my tinnitus… and some days are worse than others… but it is getting better. The best drug I have for managing my tinnitus is holding my wife… her support is literally the best drug I have. So what I suggest is make sure you have positive people in your life you can call and who can listen/support you during the bad episodes.

I'll pray for your continued improvement! Silence is never truly silent… so focus on each day, live in the moment, and be good to yourself whenever you can.
This advice certainly has merit, for the simple fact that I became incredibly excited over the weekend about possibly finding an amazing high-rise apartment that's actually within my budget. My tinnitus pretty much vanished for about an hour or two until the euphoria wore off. Now if I could just find a way to stay constantly elated like that.

This advice certainly has merit, for the simple fact that I became incredibly excited over the weekend about possibly finding an amazing high-rise apartment that's actually within my budget. My tinnitus pretty much vanished for about an hour or two until the euphoria wore off. Now if I could just find a way to stay constantly elated like that.
Sound distortions too? Or did you just not pay attention to it?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now