Remeron and Congenital Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Alex Senkowski, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I suffer from Otosclerosis which causes congenital hearing loss. I've been taking a low dose of Remeron to help me sleep for the past year and have noticed no side effects aside from the occasional hangover. I know it's stupid that I only now ask this but is it safe for somebody with my affliction to keep using it? As I said, the drug has done fine by me, but for some reason I'm feeling particularly paranoid and doom-haunted today.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Otosclerosis is frequently familial, but I have not heard of any cases where it is actually congenital.

That said, as far as I know the presence or absence of otosclerosis should not affect Remeron dosing or the length of time you can safely be on the drug. There are, of course, other factors that you and your doctor will want to discuss regarding how long you are going to stay on Remeron, but to the best of my knowledge otosclerosis does not enter into that equation.

Dr. Stephen Nagler