Risk of Losing More Hearing by Continuing Self-Defense Martial Art?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fishbone, Apr 5, 2017.

1. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I usually don't ask for advice, on this board but i feel that i need to now.

I have full blown tinnitus in both ears and its extremely loud and annoying. I cope with the madness and live my life and enjoy it. My hearing is poor/bad in the left ear and not so great in the right ear. I am taking a full contact and very aggressive self defense martial art.

We punch bags and do lots of that stuff and yes its loud but I love this art form and still do it. The issue is this, i'm taking jabs and slaps to the left ear/cheek at times. I don't care for the tinnitus, i just don't want to lose more hearing in the left ear.

By me continuing this art form, am I at risk for losing more hearing in the left ear?

I love doing this stuff and its hard to just give up and walk away...

Ty for reading this.....

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      getting hit in the head a lot risks things a lot more serious than tinnitus, but no one can tell you what's going to happen. I basically stopped playing dodgeball after a shot to the head made my ear ring like a siren for a half hour, but that's not as rewarding or really comparable to martial arts.

I think Sam Harris still does Brazilian jujitsu, with tinnitus and other problems. I wouldn't. I do ride a motorcycle, though... different math for different people.

3. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      How bad is your hearing?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am thinking of possibly giving up my martial arts, I am taking some damage while doing it and have taken shots to he ears before. Giving it up also, will be very depressing, because i love doing this stuff and it gives me something to do in my week.

My tinnitus is HORRIBLE loud right now and it tells me to quit. I don't know if i can quit it, I might just try a new school and see how that goes. The school I am currently in, has a bad vibe to it, for me already...

5. Kibakiru
      Creative

Kibakiru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 28 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown | PT: Unknown
      I have severe tinnitus (as well as pulsatile) but I also box for sport and fitness. Naturally, I take jabs to the face, various pressure points, etc. So far mine has been fine save for a spike that happened when a fire alarm went off in the training box.

Is there no chance that you could wear head gear? I knew a few people who are into martial arts who have tinnitus but they wear protective head gear for the most part.

Even if boxing makes my tinnitus worse, I don't plan on giving it up. Boxing is one of the few things in my life that make me forget about my tinnitus and it helps my stress. I'd be worse without it than with it.

In the end though, it is all personal choice. If you don't want to risk it, don't. Or maybe consider moving to a more 'gentler' martial arts.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I love my my no nonsense self defense art form. I was thinking if possibly giving it up, but i went to class tonight and it was amazing. It's hard for me to give this up, it gives me 1 hour to not even focus on tinnitus. I normally don't focus on my tinnitus anyways, but this art form is amazing and I don't think i will give it up.

My hearing is shit, but you don't have to be a great listener to do martial arts. It's an art form that has 6-7 different art forms mixed into it and its extremely effective for self defense.

My ears are ringing super loud these days. I wear my hearing aids, just for the white noise machine that it has. It works well...

Keep up the boxing and enjoy your life, if it makes you happy. Sports, martial arts, fitness are great outlets to escape stuff like stress and tinnitus.. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Have you considered Taiji, Bagua, or Qi Gong?

8. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Personally I would not give up what I enjoy but would alter strikes to the head. A couple good shots to the ear could cause damage and make your hearing and T worst. Perhaps study other martial arts where there wouldnt involve full contact...