Rough Time from Neck-Related Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by coldroses, Apr 15, 2017.

1. coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      Hi all

I'm new here - introduced myself yesterday. As I mentioned there, my tinnitus appears to be related to neck injuries from a car accident three years ago. I was told many a time by a few professionals that T tends to taper off and calm with time, but 2.5 years on and it is the loudest and most pervasive it has ever been. I now have a number of sounds including a high-pitched continuous noise, a continuous lower-frequency beep, buzzing and rattling. Evidently there is something that is making the T change and grow louder over time - of course I hope this is a physical cause that can be corrected, as the idea of it being neural plasticity changes frightens me (because it seems there is so little to correct this aberrant signalling). I'm just not coping anymore - probably because I've been fending for myself almost since it began; I just don't recognise myself.

How do I find my way back from this? Do I keep looking for the cause and hope I can be treated? I still do not want to accept this is untreatable, because I'm in so much physical pain which I haven't been able to resolve. I want to believe that if I find where my pain is coming from (i.e. nerve entrapment etc.) I'll have some success.

Any advice appreciated.

D

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Good luck @coldroses. You seemed to be very analytical. I hope you find some answers and relief. My neck is messed up too. Not sure if it's related to my noise or not. I will try PT soon. Just had a ct scan on my neck. I was in a car accident (passenger) when I was young and my head cracked the windshield. My quiet days are very hard to duplicate. Last Chiro adjustment made my noise worse.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @coldroses ,
      I have neck problems from spondilosis.
      I had physio on it a while back and got great relief from a Tens machine they used on me placed on me between my shoulder and neck.
      I ended up buying one the same one as used on me from Physiomed!

Love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      I'm glad you had a good result with TENS Glynis! Unfortunately I discontinued use of my machine after it seemed to spike my T. I've heard from some that, with TENS, the T gets worse before it gets better but I wasn't game enough to keep persisting. It is good to see that it does have good results for others though - I hope you keep having good success.