Scared I Won’t Be Able to Habituate for a Second Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by Burnsie, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Burnsie

Burnsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Okay, sorry for the post, just need to vent.

I am also aware that “habituating a second time” means that I didn’t habituate properly the first time. The thing was, for 2 years, my T didn’t bother me at all. It masked itself during the day, I didn’t notice it at home, and I masked it during the night with white noise and cricket noises.

Something has happened recently where I now “perceive” my high-pitched T to be more intrusive.

I say perceive, because, I can happily sit in a quiet room and hardly notice my high-pitched T (notice my low pitched one though, but that doesn’t bother me). Indeed, when waiting for a friend to take me to the pub last night, I sat in a quiet room and “looked” for it… it wasn’t easy to find/hear!

Yet, I hear it at work (doesn’t help I’ve moved into a less stressful/less busy job where I have time to do things like think!), over the TV, when I’m outside, in the pub and over my masks.

I’m not saying I’m always looking for it, sometimes I just hear it and sometimes I become aware of it, like when at work reading a document I suddenly realise my ears are ringing…but when I close my ears off, its almost like it goes away! I can feel my brain working every time I go somewhere thinking “can I hear it now?.....how about now?....and….now?.

My ears also seem full…but I’m putting this down to stress as I didn’t notice that last week when all this started, and this only stared as I thought I could hear something in my car (other ear!).

Any tips on how to approach this the second time?

It's almost like my brain is making it up...(i don't think |I have measurable hearing loss, so don't think my hearing has gotten worse and my brain is filling in gaps in white noise).

I’m just trying to go about my life as normal, constantly reminding myself that most of you on here would swap places with me in a shot.

I still sleep with the masking on, but quieter (as louder seems to mean I hear it more…not that I think it’s reactive), and, my sleep is okay.

I still wake up nervous though.

I can’t ignore it, I can’t embrace it…. I’m guessing I’m just going to have to endure it until my brain gets board of it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would have your ears and hearing checked and then mask with relaxing songs or music when you need a break from the sound.
      Keep away from exta loud sound and give headphones or ear phones a break if use them and then only on the lowest setting for a short period .
      You have done really well habituating the first time and im sure reducing stress and staying positive will help you get through this .
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      DON'T try to listen for the tinnitus. Don't try to justify why you can hear it here and not there. This leads to the tinnitus just further annoying you. This can also cause us emotions, that might further annoy our tinnitus.

You are training your mind for negativity, when you are trying to listen for the sound.