Scared, Need Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Abe, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      I'm real scared and I don't know what to do. The past few days my tinnitus has been getting real loud at night and it's preventing me from being able to sleep, it also feels so loud that its hurting. Will my T remain like this forever? It's normally very quiet. I'm 18 btw, never been exposed to loud sounds or anything like that.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Abe Although it's difficult try to calm down and see your doctor and explain how you feel. Many things can cause tinnitus but the most common cause of it is exposure to loud noise or music. I know you have said you've never been exposed to loud sounds. However, do you attend clubs, concerts, or listen to music through headphones regualarly? Do you play computer games wearing headsets? Some people do not realize how loud the sound is when using headphones or going to the places that I've mentioned.

Please click on the link below. I have written an article for poeple new to tinnitus. It called: Tinnitus, A Personal Veiw. You might find it helpful. It is a long post but try and read all of it even if you have to read it in segments and return to it later.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Well I have had T for about 3 years now bout its been very quiet until just a few days ago, I never use a headset and my volume is very quiet, Ive never been to a club or conerct before. I was using headphones for a few days before the day it got louder. But the volume on them was low, Maybe that caused a spike?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Abe Many people think using headphones and keeping the volume low will not make the tinnitus worse. However, I have counselled a lot of people whose tinnitus has spiked due to listening to headphones at low volume. It is true, not everyone will be affected by using headphones at low volume when they have tinnitus. But I wonder why would anyone want to take such a risk, knowing how distressing tinnitus can be. The post below is also in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, but I will paste it here for convenience. I still advise you to read my article in full when you are able to.

I wish you well
      Michael

Headphones and Tinnitus

The views on whether a person with tinnitus should listen to music through headphones are controversial. Some people show no adverse affects while others do even when the volume level is kept low.

As I have already mentioned we are all different so the only way a one can know is to experiment for themselves if they want to. In my opinion, when the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise/music and it has become intrusive - by this I mean a person having to seek help at ENT, then they shouldn’t listen to music through headphones no matter how low the volume is set.

Most music has syncopation throughout its frequency range, so it’s constantly changing in pitch, rhythm and timbre. The beat of the music and volume can also change while listening. This evokes pleasure and can stir our emotions. This happens whether we listen to music loud or soft, although certain types of music does sound better played at a higher volume than others, and vice versa.

Once the Cochlea in the inner has been affected by noise exposure, it is much more sensitive to sound. This is one of the reasons hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) is often experienced with noise-induced tinnitus. The wearing of WNGs (white noise generators) as part of TRT treatment can often cure the condition. I will be covering Hyperacusis and Habituation in more detail later on.

The organ of the Corti, which is attached to the cochlea, has approximately 20,000 hair
      cells. These hair cells move to the vibration of sound and are just one of the components in the auditory system that enable us to hear. Someone that already has a sensitive auditory system due to noise-induced tinnitus and listens to music through headphones at a low volume, risks irritating the Cochlea further; this can make the tinnitus louder and more intrusive.

In my opinion, it can be misleading when some health professionals tell tinnitus patients, listening to music through headphones is fine as long as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well and know a lot about the anatomy of the ear and therefore, it is not my intention to try and undermine their abilities or expertise. However, It must be said, that many of them have never experienced intrusive tinnitus. This leads me to say, one of my ENT consultant’s who is an Audiovestubular physician, and someone that I have a lot of respect for, once told me that I know more about tinnitus than her. She explained because of never experiencing tinnitus.

I have spoken to many people and corresponded with them by email and at Internet forums, complaining their tinnitus has become worse because after listening to music through headphones even though the volume was kept low.
      My advice to anyone that has tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise is not to listen to music through headphones, as the auditory system is more sensitive. However the choice is entirely up to them.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Can my Tinnitus still go back to its normal level? Also just something to add I have had a checkup on my ears and the ENT said there was no signs of hearing loss.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hopefully your tinnitus will go back to normal. I advise you to never use headphones/ headset again even at low volume.
      All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Any idea how long a spike could last?

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Everyone is different I cannot say...Give it time and keep away from loud sounds. Read my article as I believe it will help you.
      Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Alright, Ill take a look

10. DrewATL

DrewATL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vestibular neuritis
      I feel you, mine is fairly steady today after a multivitamin, go figure. It's interesting what can effect mine during this bout with Vestibular Neuritis. Sending you good vibes.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      this would make day 3 with the spike, I also want to add that my ear has a slight fullness and discomfort

12. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection + Noise Induced
      Hi Abe, I recently had a spike that lasted 5 days. Then another that lasted 4 days. My current spike is 6 days in, I hope it settles back down. (also fullness of head, slight "pain")

I guess I'm trying to say it's very different for everyone. From what I've read here some spikes can last weeks or months, and I understand how hard it is to be patient and wait, and how heart breaking it is to wake up and not see improvements (or to feel an increase!)
      But try your best to take care of yourself, your mind, and take it one day at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Is it normal that it seems to increase in intensity late at night?

14. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure if that's normal, but that's been happening for me too lately. It is a scary thing to wake up in the middle of the night and it's blaring loud, I feel like maybe its not so much that its louder but we just notice it more. Some times I manage to calm myself down, but other times I feel like staying in bed makes the anxiety worse. Try to get up for a little while to distract yourself, maybe watch a little tv or drink some herbal tea.
      Tonight I'll be trying to take half my dose of xanax and melatonin, so if I wake in the night I can take the other half.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      it seems slightly better today, btw i like your picture its a good show

16. Ludvik

Ludvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Abe, yeah I love Bojack. A friend said I remind her of Todd (but I don't really see it hahah)

I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I've started keeping track of my T daily - rating how loud it is throughout the day and how I feel about it. On one hand it makes me more aware of my Tinnitus, but on the other I think it's beneficial to journal our thoughts and feelings through such harsh times.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Update: This were better, but tonight all of a sudden My ear feels full and the ringings back. The hearing dosnt seem degraded at all it just feels like theres a finger in my ear. Also It seems relieved a little for a few moments if i move the ear around but then the feeling comes back

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      I just called my after hours care team and they said it sounds like theres some pressure or fluid build up and that it will clear up in a few days

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      there is also a slight pain it and alot of sounds seem louder now

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Take a basic painkiller for pressure pain and try steam inhalation to help clear your tubes....lots of love glynis

See your doctor for a check up before the weekend if still have pain.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Got my ears checked out and the doctor said I had fluid build up in my middle ear

22. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Try Sudafed and steam inhalation it should help...lots of love glynis

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Well, it was a pretty bad night Was ona nd off all night from the ringing. I dont know why its so bad tonight

24. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Hope you're feeling better and things have returned to baseline... it's one of those nights for me as well...

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Abe
      Sad

Abe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I dont know
      Things are still loud Id imagine it will probably be like this till the fluid drains which could take months form what ive heared