School

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, Jan 14, 2014.

1. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Is anyone else here in school? How do you deal with loud professors and classmates who slam things constantly. I've been wearing my earplugs but it makes it hard to concentrate or listen.

Also I started taking magnesium citrate pills today, how many Mgs should I take a day?

2. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Im also at school:) But I cant really help you here. I think you can either buy very "light" earplugs or maybe simply wear pieces of cotton inside the ear. If the professor is too loud I think you could sit in the back of the class. Does your T really get louder with banging noises? I dont think a banging door exceeds the allowed level.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Wait, are you wearing the earplugs because of tinnitus or the hyperacusis?

If it's because of the hyperacusis I would be careful because that can exacerbate your condition. Try not to think, "These sounds are hurting my ears" that will reinforce it. I would recommend not using earplugs, but I understand after a certain point it might become exhausting and you'll need to put them in.

If it's because of the tinnitus I would also be careful because it can cause your nervous system to "wind up," so to say, and make you notice your tinnitus more thus reinforcing it. Likewise with the tinnitus, try not to think, "These sounds will increase my tinnitus."

So what are you studying? Mathematics?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @NeoM I guess a little for both. After having the loudness of the microwave door slam slut hurt my hear and cause my T to rise I don't really want to take anymore chances. :/ I don't wear them in every class, just 3 of them.

I definitely realize that is makes my T so much louder though when wearing them, especially since I then have a difficult time understanding the professor and have a hard time concentrating due to T.

I'm actually studying Communications - and sadly it looks like what I was originally going to school for will now not be an option with T, so that sucks.

5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Demi, I think moderate noises are probably not bad:) They could actually keep the ear fit. In a classroom I think it is around 60-70 db. Also, I of course dont knwo what you want to do excactly with your degree. But - my friend studied communication as well and is working in the sphere currently. Her job involves writing press relaeses, keeping the staff informed, that kind of stuff. it is quiet and not very stressful job:) Also, you can always protect yourself if there are loud noises;) Yes I know that yours is a case of noise induced trauma but stress can only make it worse:))) I hardly think any doctor will tell you that Tinnitus means you are going deaf or it necessarily has to get louder. It doesnt have to. And actually the number of people who have chronic tinnitus is quite small:) In many cases it leaves. Dont give up your hopes because of a "scumbag brain". As the moto on this site says: turn your wounds into wisdom.
      :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Nah, it didn't hurt your ear, that's a misconception. If hyperacusis was caused by ear damage then sound therapy wouldn't work, but it does. Play low level pink noise in the background.

Plus, studying communications is not off. Also if you are still struggling after a while you can try treatment options.

As for the magnesium, I don't know, probably 400mg would be good enough for the day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Thank you both @Stina and @NeoM for the positive words. I just hope I can get back to the place of habituation I was at 6 months ago. :/

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Here they tried around 500 mg:) http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01273883
      Excess is also dangerous! Be aware:) Also it nuts and leafy greens. They have tons of vitamins.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey Demi, have been a journalist for 40 years and work at a large daily newspaper. I can still do my job, with a fe adjustments, just fine with T. So communications is not out, no way.

As for magnesium: 400 mg is a good starting dose, although some take more. Search this site for "magnesium" and you will find good advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I am not in college yet, but I have been thinking of going to one for film making. I am just worried about my T getting worse, @demi when you don't where ear plugs in class does it make your T worse?