Sea Anemone Proteins May Help 'Restore' Damaged Hearing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by chamferman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. chamferman
      Musical

chamferman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/ 2013
      • Like Like x 6
    2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Birds and reptiles can restore their hearing. It's good to know they are able to find more animals with this ability.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
    4. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Hmm not quite restoring hair cells though. The article says that the sea anemone proteins only help repair bonds between hair cells that haven't died off yet. So this may be more of a preventative measure if it ever came to market.

5. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes quite true it clearly states that it might be a treatment for acute damage before the hair cell permanently died ( i think its about 4 to 7 days after trauma)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Damaged doesn't mean dead. I can hear fine but I bet some of my stereocilia are not at 100%.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I agree, but lets not forget there is still no certainty what precisely is damaged or even dead in the inner ear after NIHL.
      Most of all, this is another opportunity to understand protein repair mechanisms that exist in other species, but not in mammals.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Whose coming swimming?;)

• Like Like x 1
    9. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I agree, I have horrendous hyperacusis and tinnitus but according to my latest hearing test there's no real measurable loss. 20-1000 Hz is fine and 1000-10,000 Hz is also perfect with a hearing threshold of 17/18 kHz bilaterally. It isn't hair cells that's causing this but the auditory nerve and synapses, mark my words.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I don't know what is causing it, but I am ready to stuff sea anemone guts in my ear and cook some up for dinner.

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
    12. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Imho it must be something that is sensitive and easily damaged.

ce1111.jpg

13. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guess this is one of the advantages of surviving the dinosaur age.

Surviving the sonic impact of a giant meteor may have weeded out those who couldn't regenerate from the acoustic blast.

14. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      Inner ear hair cells look a lot like sea anemone, even when it's just on a diagram.
      Sea-Anemone.jpg
      Eating raw sea anemone might actually work.

• Funny Funny x 2
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      spongebob.gif

16. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      According to traditional medicine, if those proteins are consumed, your body will know how to use them to regenerate damaged hair cells.

17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      upload_2019-1-22_6-47-28.png

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      If you really doubt that traditional medicine works, eat raw sea anemone and prove that it will not change hearing thresholds or tinnitus volume. You can be the one to disprove my theory.

If you can afford it. It's pretty expensive.

19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're cracking me up bro. I did the curcumin thing. You eat it or shove off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      I already plan to. I was just pointing out the similarity in appearance again.

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      they look like damaged haircells for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      lol I can't tell if you're joking or not, but the tentacles look like healthy and fully functional hair cells.

23. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
    25. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why don't you just eat some rabbit ears.. you know... just the cochleas

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    26. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      Why rabbits? Mammals can't regenerate damaged hearing, but birds, reptiles, and sea anemone can. If anything is going to work, it would be sea anemone. They regenerate their hair cells much faster than birds and reptiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From that article:

"When the cells were exposed to the sea anemone proteins for an hour they restructured themselves and recovered enough to absorb a marker dye."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3722702/Hearing-damage-restored-sea-anemones.html

The cells have to be exposed to the protein.
      When you take drugs orally, very few of it actually diffuse across the Blood Labyrinth Barrier (BLB) into the cohlear fluid.

"3.1. Systemic route
      Generally, drugs are delivered to the inner ear via the systemic route, but only a few drugs can reach the target site of action at therapeutic concentrations in the inner ear because of the presence of BLB. In order to achieve therapeutic levels of drugs in the inner ear, high systemic doses are required, which are often associated with undesirable side effects"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211383513000178

So, the protein that acts on the hair cells represents a very very very small proportion of the total mass of the anemone and then after that only a very very very small proportion of that would cross the BLB and enter the cochlear fluid.

for the drug ly411575, that also regenerates mammalian hair cells, the systemic (oral) dose was 50mg/kg of body mass. For a 150lbs adult that would be about 3.5 grams of the pure anemone protein per day for multiple days. It would probably take many pounds of sea anemone to be able to extract 3.5 grams of that protein, and you would need a complicated chemical process to extract that specific protein anyway. Your best bet would be to apply it locally to the round window membrane of the cochlea via the middle ear, and by it, I mean the pure extracted protein from the anemone.

So no, you cannot eat enough raw sea anemone to make this happen. I just completely shut down your argument so just stop it. You are wrong. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. So just stop.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can’t believe the sea anemone thread is still going.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. Max17903
      Cloud9

Max17903 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Band
      I wasn't very sure this would work, but after what you've just said, now I'm almost certain it will.
      The important thing is that some of it still does.
      Side effects only come from drugs. Not a problem when consuming food, even in quantities larger than normal.
      A very small proportion is still something. If it can cross the BLB, then it can still work.
      Every sea anemone will contain a small quantity of repair proteins, and a small amount of that small quantity will cross the BLB. Eating a little bit of sea anemone every day, over a long period of time, will produce noticeable results. This will likely take months or years.

It is completely possible for a human to consume multiple pounds of food in one sitting. Have you ever heard of Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest? Go to the results section and take a look at how many hotdogs people can eat in one sitting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan's_Hot_Dog_Eating_Contest

This means that it could be possible to ingest the correct dose every day. If you are really impatient, you could eat nothing but enormous amounts of sea anemone for a few days, but it's not necessary to do this.

When the tentacles are damaged, the repair proteins are secreted, so you could purposely damage/cut off small pieces of the tentacles and collect the secreted proteins. They make the surface of the sea anemone slimy. This could help you ingest larger quantities of the anemone protein for faster results, if you wanted to.
      I will post the results of this whether people still read this thread or it's completely abandoned. If you are so sure I am wrong, feel free to stop replying and you won't hear from me again. I will get an audiogram before eating the sea anemone, and another after a few months of eating sea anemone.

I think I will probably try to get as much as I can out of each anemone by cutting off small pieces of the tentacles to collect more repair proteins. If doing this for a few months or even over a year does not make any difference in the audiogram, then that's proof that this doesn't work.

Until that happens, I can't say for sure it will work, and you can't say for sure it won't. I strongly believe that it will, and you strongly disagree. We'll eventually see who's right. Only time will tell.

30. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay, forget I said you could eat 3.5 grams of this. That was just hypothetical.

Guess what??

When you eat proteins your digestive system breaks them down into amino acids. Therefore none of the anemone proteins would ever even make it to your blood stream let alone across the BLB.
      Your body makes its own proteins from the base components of the proteins you eat, and digest.

Protein Digestion and Absorption

The argument is completely over at this point.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019