Seeking Serious Help — Severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis — Can't Sleep without Benzos

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AndySop, Nov 16, 2018.

1. AndySop

AndySop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      september 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      Hi.

I have severe hyperacusis and tinnitus - I can’t fall into sleep w/o benzos at night - 0 sleep

I have had it for 2 months after concert and I’m only 20 years old and already feeling suicidal.

I have a family member - who is willing to put millions to help to find a cure - where should he put it in?

I could never imagine this nightmare. I’m not enjoying anything in life.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      You're still new to tinnitus, for many people, it improves over time! If loud noise exposure is the cause then chances are that your hyperacusis and tinnitus will improve over time.

Some things you could try
      • give your ears a break, protect them from loud noises, don't attend loud events
      • don't listen to anything through headphones
      • use a mouthguard if you grind your teeth at night
      • see a physical/massage therapist if you have issues with your neck, jaw or cervical spine
      • listen to white noise or natural sounds during the day and at night so that your brain can focus on something else
      • try your best to stay calm to give your body the best chance to recover
      Supplements you could try
      • Magnesium or Magnesium Citrate
      • N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)
      • Nicotinamide Riboside
      • Vitamin D, Vitamin B12
      Donation Options
      Please donate to research even if tinnitus and hyperacusis improve for you (which I'm pretty sure they will... I don't want to make empty promises but many people improve over time)!

@Ed209 @Markku @Steve @David Tagging all of you, do you have any other research donation suggestions?

• Winner Winner x 2
    3. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      Is there a big difference between Citrate and other magnesium?
      I tried Citrate and it would wake me up in the middle of the night, but I want to give magnesium another shot.

4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      @AndySop I am very sorry that you have a hard time with hyperacusis and tinnitus. Since you have it just a short time there is still a big chance it will fade or at least settle to a lower volume. Hyperacusis fades for many people after a while.

In any case to give you a bit of hope, go to the research news section and read the thread from the University of Minnesota. Also a similar device from Neuromod will be released early next year. So maybe a valid treatment is around the corner.

In case you or your family member wants to help with research, contact the site owners @Markku or @Steve :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Leoglobe
      Tolerant

Leoglobe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If you have a family member that could give quite a lot of money for a cure I think as well that you could get in touch with the admins of this great forum, @Markku and @Steve, that Autumnly mentioned previously. @JohnAdams input is also very interesting and so I would like to put him in the loop as well.

6. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      In any case I‘ll also quote @kelpiemsp‘s post. If I sometimes need hope, I just go back and read it again and again:)

7. vinceVv

vinceVv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants
      Be careful with benzos, they can be very addictive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AndySop

AndySop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      september 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      Thanks for your replies.

After I take acupuncture and also medication like Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan (知柏地黄丸) and 夏桑菊颗粒, both Chinese Herbal Medicines, my ear pain found some relief.

People can not get treatment for tinnitus at the hospitals in Denmark and I went to local Chinese clinic for acupuncture and medication. I will continue the treatment.

Of course better to consult your local Chinese clinic for overall assessment of your body and medication. As tinnitus is a reflection of overall health and caused by different reasons.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome,

I'm confused: you list "referee whistle" in your "Cause of Tinnitus" profile, but then you say it's due to a concert. Which is it?

There are various research efforts that take donations. @Ed209 had made a list when we were debating where Danny Boy's funds would be allocated. Our pick made sense for the amount we had raised, and if you are talking about millions, then perhaps another pick would make more sense.

Good luck, and take it easy with your hearing for a while. Things can get better in time, and they often do.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AndySop

AndySop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      september 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      I think is the referee whistle, since I bought a new one and only used that twice, and 5 days afterwards I went to a concert with earfoams and then suddenly a day after the ringing came.

11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you had a hearing test done at an audiologist?

12. Robban
      Fine

Robban Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Try a laser at Amon Kasier in Germany, it can help. I got better from laser in the ear but I am not tinnitus free.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AndySop

AndySop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      september 18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      referee whistle
      Yes I have done a hearing test. They couldn't see any hearing loss, and I was in the normal range.