Severe Dry Eye

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Ray552, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Anyone else get dry eye after onset of tinnitus and/or hyperacusis?

2. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      No. :( Are you sure you don't have dry eye because of lack of sleep?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ray552

Ray552 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      My sleep is actually decent now somehow so no not cause of that.

4. GSC
      Owned

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Staring at a screen?

5. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Might be blepharitis which can be a cause of painful dry eyes. Not related to tinnitus though. @Ray552

6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have severe dry eyes. There's no known link I can see on searching other than with an acoustic neuroma, which is rare. Perhaps worth mentioning to a doctor though.

Dry eyes and tinnitus are both common conditions so the development could be coincidental. However, I do think there is a link with dry eyes and raised inflammation the body. I have wondered at times if the same could be said for some cases of tinnitus. I note amongst those with problems with implantation of a particularly device during surgery, dry eye is common after implantation and sometimes resolves after removal of the failed implant. I have often wondered about a link between tinnitus and these poorly defined issues of chronic raised inflammation. Tinnitus post device implantation is also common, but not so strikingly common as dry eye nor have I heard of it resolving post device removal.

Some people give accounts of tinnitus reducing after cutting out dairy. Dairy free diets are used to lower inflammation in cases of arthritis.

Just a wild theory really. I deal with severe dry eye using a thick gel called vita pos, plus systane balance. Most severe dry eye is down to lack of lipids holding the tears together more than lack of tear production. Mild dry eye can be dealt with using liquid drops alone without the addition of a gel or lipid spray.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      If you have dry eyes you shouldn't sleep with a ceiling fan on. During deep sleep you sometimes slit your eyes a little and expose them to the blowing air.

8. Tanni
      Heartbroken

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Similar thing happened to me about the same time as my Tinnitus getting worse. Every day now I wake up and the area around my eye is swollen. Both eyes also sting really painfully sometimes, especially if I cry/get tears in my eyes. Went to opticians and they assured me I wasn't going blind, and that it looked like allergies so to go see a GP. I went to see a GP, and they said that from eyeballing it they weren't worried about it. :rolleyes:

9. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      My dry eye started about six years after my T. But I don't see any reason to think they are related. By the way, four treatments of IPL helped my dry eyes immensely. Here is the only forum I know of for DES:
      http://forum.dryeyezone.com/

10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did while I was using Trobalt (went away after stopping). I recommend the thick lubricating eye ointment to be used at night. It's like in a mini toothpaste bottle and you squeeze a little bit into each eye before you go to bed.