Sex, etc.?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mjs 89, Feb 3, 2016.

1. mjs 89
      Frustrated

mjs 89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st noticed in '88, really bad since Xanax >8 yrs ago?
      Hi. I blamed my T on a poor Rx decision for a benzodiazepine, as well as medicating far too long, and an extremely mishandled cold-turkey detox, but I think I've always had it. While other issues remain, I realize today that I need to change the way I think about T. In fact, I have to stop thinking about it altogether. Two posts have made a difference already.

In the first post, someone commented that while I was reading his reply, I was largely unaware of how my left foot felt. Absolutely true. Not numb, but now I truly understand that over-used comment "It is what is it." I started thinking of all the other things we sense, but ignore, like bad breath. We should be able to taste how nasty our breath is, but often, someone else does first! But why?!

In the second post, the author wrote about our tendency to focus on things we can't change, while ignoring others we really should.

There is also significant implied benefit to distracting our attention with activity or our hearing with white noise, however, both concepts are short lived unless we can believe that the change can be permanent. Why? Because as people in search of a solution, our natural feedback loop causes us to reevaluate whether or not the solution has, in fact, worked. Maybe it's age. As a kid, an injury was soon forgotten - even sprained joints - because we 1) believed that a fix was inevitable and 2) ignored the possibility of a recurrence...

...but T (as far as they know) is not necessarily the result of anything - it simply is. It exists because we worry about it. It gets worse when we worry about it. Does that mean it goes away if we don't worry? No! But at that point, who cares? Sure there are other problems associated with T - losing sleep, for example - but isn't the lost sleep really due to worry? I propose that ... scratch that...what works for me might not work for you. But this is going to be my approach:

1. I am not going to do anything for the sole purpose of distracting myself from T. If I do, that means I'm thinking about it.
      2. What? Still here? I told you no feedback loops.

My point is this. I doubt I will simply forget about or ignore T instantly. While you ponder this, sorry...while I ponder this, I am going to start listing all the times I don't notice T at all. Then I am going to duplicate and build upon those things, hopefully, without getting addicted to anything. Fortunately (and I'm not trying to be cute here...) one of those things for me is sex. When I'm "ready," I can and do ignore almost everything else. When I enjoy a meal or a drink; when I carry on a conversation; when I watch a movie. I just realized that is probably why I rarely enjoy reading or studying in a library. Too quiet. Exercising is good, too, at least WHILE I exercise.

But I want to know how I ignore T when things are calm and quiet. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I also wonder if maybe I should have had more fun when I was younger and "killed a few more brain cells." Then I wouldn't think so much. I mean, seriously, aren't you reading this - still - because you're really curious? Isn't that why you took time out of your life to even find this site? It is certainly why I am still writing! I write when I think - and the writing helps me ignore my T. Stopping an activity to regroup or start something else makes me conscious of my T. My God! Could my sleep deprivation and ADD actually be the result of my mind's lifelong attempt to ignore T?! An now it has simply moved from my subconscious to my conscious self? (I almost typed unconscious, right, Tin Cup?)

OK, it's ringing again, so before I go, I need to ask two questions I've been pondering.

1. Is there any way whatsoever for a doctor to confirm or test for subjective tinnitus? If not, how close have we come to figuring that out?
      2. Has anyone ever done anything - I mean anything - that has resulted in sudden, even if only temporary, reduction or elimination of tinnitus? Even something like acupuncture?
      OK, 3 questions.
      3. Has anyone who is 100% deaf ever reported having tinnitus?

Best of luck!

2. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      1. Outside of fancy brain scans that no doctor will ever order, no.

2. Not for me.

3.I don't think it is possible for someone born deaf to have tinnitus. They wouldn't even know if they had it.
      I think almost everyone with acquired deafness has tinnitus to some degree.

3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Unfortunately nature is that cruel. We have on this very forum a guy who was born deaf and with T. He started to hear some other sounds besides T only after a cochlear implant. If it's very important to you I could do some digging and give you his name even, but that requires quite some time and patience. Such a heartbreaking case that I had to force myself to think about something else, so I would forget, as I can't quite handle that. Severe vertigo too, pulsatile T too.

Speaking about not knowing about having T, I know about a kid that learned only when he got older and saw a program about T on TV (he is not deaf) that he has T. Up until that time he thought that T "is how the silence sounds like", as he put it. It was "silence" he didn'T really know the meaning of. (Those kind of things are holding me back to become a believer in God, but that is my problem).

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I don't know about question 1. Ask the doctors who get paid for the professional service. lol.

Question 2 - if your T is somatic in nature, then by moving body parts such as jaws, neck, muscles etc., will be able to affect T somewhat. There is also a phenomenon called 'residual inhibition' which can quiet T for a short time. Turn the faucet on and bear with the squeaky noise for a while, then if you have high pitch T with similar frequency as the faucet, your T may be suppressed for a short moment.

Question 3 - yes, I posted about Zoe Cartwright on page 14 & page 15 of the Positivity Thread in the Support Forum. She was a pretty young 15 when she turned 100% deaf and then developed %$#&*) loud T which is not maskable (because she is deaf). Yet she moves on with life and even made it to university where she made a short tinnitus film. Amazingly she loves her life despite unmaskable T. I also provided links to her film and her story on my success story:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/