Share About Your Avatar Here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by calin, Mar 15, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Please feel free to tell us about your avatar. You know... that picture that is next to your name.

And if you have a favorite one that is someone else's here, tell us!

Some time and effort goes into selecting avatars, so I know (and probably others here) I would be interested in hearing why you have yours.

For example, Karen has a butterfly. Is it a particular one she likes or just a favorite picture. Maybe a feeling she gets when she looks at it.

And click! What is that? It is cute, but does it have a name?

just1morething has a picture of one of my favorite actors.

I do smile when I see the kitten pictures! fish name and cat picture! cute!

Ok... please share!!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I'm a proponent of avatars, because it adds a note of personality to the member's posts. It's just easier to see and instantly recognize an individual by his/her avatar. When Karl changed his avatar not long ago, it provoked some comments, because members had gotten "accustomed to his face". ;) And recently, Louise noted that she had confused one member with another because both have a "Question Mark" where their avatar should be.

Here's why I chose the butterfly as my avatar: Butterflies make me feel positive and hopeful, and that is the image I want to convey. I believe that part of being a member on Tinnitus Talk is being helpful and supportive to others, and I hope my "image" helps me to do just that! Also, my sun sign is Gemini (June) and I see butterflies as the perfect symbol for us light-as-air, on-again, off-again Gemini folks!

I hope others will join us in sharing why they chose their avatars.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi Karen!

I am a Gemini too !

Since your avatar is a Monarch, I thought you may be interested in this bit of information about the butterfly. I heard it on Coast to Coast radio show.

A summary from the show:
      Since 1994, there has been a steady decline of Monach butterfly migrations, and this winter of 2012-2013, scientists reported the lowest number of monarchs in Mexico on record - only 2.9 acres. And it is Mexico where the butterflies need to lay their eggs on milkweed for their young larvae to eat before changing into Monarchs. The unthinkable is now possible: Monarch extinction. She interviewed Professor of Biology, Chip Taylor, the Founder and Director of Monarch Watch. He told her that Canada, the U. S. and Mexico have expanded GMO corn and soybean acreages filled with herbicides that kill milkweed and consequently kill the natural cycle of Monarchs. Prof. Taylor is working with other scientists to get the three nations to create milkweed sanctuaries in home backyards, city parks and national forests to save the Monarchs.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, fellow Gemini Calin!

Thanks for sharing this information about Monarch butterflies. It is so sad to think that these beautiful creatures could become extinct because of herbicides. I sure hope that these efforts to save them work. We need more beauty in the world, not less!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yes, I agree.

When I plant seeds in the garden I use the mix that draws butterflies and other flying critters.

If the Monarch goes, it threatens other environmental living things as well. They are needed for balance.

6. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Beatles last concert, one of my favorite bands. the BESTEST avatar on this site in my opinion is FISH'S cat pic I just smile everytime I see that pic.....lol

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      thanks!

I like fish's too!

8. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      My avatar is a cat named "Melonpi" and it belongs to a chinese blogger. I just found it on the internet. Since people liked this avatar I decided to keep it :)

rQaW9Qn.jpg

6j8OckO.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    9. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      22yrs old, returning home to Nevada after a six week cross-country trip, three strapping buds in a compact car on a shoestring budget (amazing what broke kids can do on little to no money!). Had to camp out the last couple weeks of the trip, east coast to west. Got up (probably hung over!), walked down to the shore of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park and snapped this picture on a super cheap Kodak instamatic. Found it recently going through a box of pictures following the latest life-altering move. Now living in beautiful northern Colorado.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's beautiful, Paul! And so is the story behind it. Thanks for sharing!

11. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      mine is just because I love the TV series M*A*S*H and have so from a young age.
      I was always a bit odd with my TV likes ;)

• Like Like x 2
    12. TJPositive
      Fine

TJPositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Another fan based avatar here. Mine's a young Stan Laurel as in Laurel and Hardy. Mum bought me a box set of some of their later movies (Jitterbugs, A haunting, Great Guns, ect) and I immediately took a liking to their comedy. I did a google image search on them out of curiosity one day and came across my avatar and saved it. While looking for an avatar I came across it and felt it accurately depicts a feeling most members of this board are probably familiar with; we'd all really just like for this damn noise in our ears to go!

• Like Like x 1
    13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Mine is me from a year or so ago now - with my boy - Dylan - he is a special dog, a rare breed of spaniel in the UK called a Field Spaniel only 50 or so are born a year! Dylan is our second fieldy dog, our first Harry died really tragically and young - it broke our hearts - Dylan was born around the same time - you normally have to be on a waiting list to get one of these dogs - but because of what happened to Harry the breeder let us have him and he helped heal our aching hearts.

• Like Like x 2
    15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      What a cool idea for a thread! I love everyone's avatars, and the stories behind them are even better.

PaulD: I have been at that spot on Lake McDonald, although wouldn't have known from your photo without your explanation. Isn't it beautiful?

I just did mine in a hurry: I wanted to start talking to everyone here, as I was just a couple of weeks into my tinnitus, figured I needed an avatar and I keep this one on file. I write for a living. And I like cats; my Little Boy Kitty has a coat just like this one. Maybe I'll change it to something snappier someday.

And what about your avatar, Calin?

• Like Like x 1
    16. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      This is a picture of the older of my two boys, taken about seven years ago. Struck by how much my son resembles me, a friend once said that this is exactly how I would appear if I were placed in a hydraulic press. -Golly

17. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I change my avatars a bit like I change clothes ... but my current one is me :)

18. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      My friend's parents own a farm with an animal petting spot and he had a freaking Wallaby! I had to play with it... even though it was very scared, he seemed to like me enough.

19. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Well mine is the international flag for a diver down or the cover of a Van Halen album 1982 (diver down)

I also use the blue and white flag which is mostly used in Europe and Russia. The shark is the Great White and sharks have been around for 17 million years which makes humans & other animals mere puppies in comparison.
      Peter Benchley (who wrote Jaws) made a lot of money out of it. Although to his credit now he is a shark conservationist who deeply regretted writing the book in the first place. People need to be educated and certain Asian countries need to be seriously spanked over these issues. What person in their right mind would catch a shark and cut of all his fins and shove the rest back in the ocean? And the same countries are responsible for culling dolphins.
      I'm a diver yes but it has made me a conservationist when it comes to looking after our oceans.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I just changed my avatar to this photo of myself horse riding. It is something I like to do whenever I have the possibility. This picture was taken on holiday in Iceland.

• Like Like x 2
    21. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      in my current avatar, "I'm wearing Amendola", I like to say... kind of like the Red Carpet, but my own twist. I am a bit obsessed with football (American variety), and I live in the Boston area, so sporting my Pats jersey.

• Like Like x 1
    22. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Mine is just me sitting in my office LOL working on some application-- not terribly exciting. If you could see my entire desk you would see 3 computers (one- 27" iMac, two PC's), 9 monitors and a MacBook pro set up all at once....probably contributed to my T :D problem....If I change my avatar again, I will need to come back here and explain it...:LOL:

Cheers :beeranimation:

23. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      My avatar is of Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. Perhaps something about his so otherworldly approach to existence helps keep me calm.

24. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      My avatar is probably fairly intuitive. I generally like intuition as well as simplicity. In mathematics, it is generally taught that if there are several solutions to the same problem, choose the simplest one. When it comes to making progress - be it science, business, or just life in general, I hold dearly the following quote from Albert Einstein:

"If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got"

There is not much point in walking the trail already walked by many others before you - if they all failed. When I developed tinnitus for real this year, I quickly realized that there is no cure available (despite the many "offers" available). If I am to get better, it has to come from something different, something new, something that hasn't really been tried yet. I decided to look into stem cell therapy (without knowing too much about it at first).

Based on my modest progress so far, I decided to go for a second stem cell treatment. The doctors at the hospital came back with a standard proposal for how to treat my condition. Being who I am, I of course questioned the doctors' proposal - and asked them to re-evaluate my case with "all options on the table". For USD 7.000,- they will increase the stem cell treatment with two additional units of stem cells. Here is hospital's feedback:

Dear ["attheedgeofscience" ],

Sorry for late reply due to pick up [of] patients from XXX airport.

After internal medical conference this morning, 8 units of high volume stem cells are highly recommended by our doctor team and Dr "X" [medical director]. Large volumes of stem cells can expedite the healing process; totally you will receive 62.5 x 8 = 500 million stem cells in the course of treatment and the treatment cost is USD 26,000.

Our doctor team and Dr "X" feel very confident and optimistic [about] the curative effect for your condition.

Dr "Z" already returned back to dest YYY, Dr "X" is substitute for Dr "Z" as Director of Hospital.

Regards/"Q"

We shall see if my next treatment becomes the missing jigsaw puzzle piece...

• Like Like x 2
    25. Emily
      Badass

Emily Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mine was pulled in from Facebook otherwise I probably would have picked a "nicer" shot. It's me with Norman Reedus photoshopped in...because I am obsessed with the Walking Dead...particularly Daryl Dixon... :)

26. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      My avatar is how I feel all the time.

27. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Mine is my cat T bone. He turned my husband into a cat lover. He is a cool cat.

28. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      SueR, why is it called football when they barely kick the thing?

29. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Good question, @Per ! I didn't name the game... that's why! ;)

Prolate Spheroid Contest - better? kinda has a ring to it, don't you think? ...maybe not. LOL

30. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      And to further be annoying: Why is that epileptic shaped thing called a ball, as in football? A ball is round. Anywho, it's a weird sport. They call a similar activity rugby in some other countries, but they preform it with no protection. It's popular in France, England and Australia. I've never followed it myself. Snow sports is the thing up here.

To contribute to the thread going on here my avatar illustrates how my brain feels like with T&H. A lot of constant electrical activity with neurons firing at a mad rate.