Share Your Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Experience: Any Impact on Your Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by teacher34, Jan 3, 2021.

1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Managed to avoid vaccination until late November this year. Before the Pfizer vaccine had never felt better health-wise and my tinnitus was almost unnoticeable.

Fast forward one week and the onset of loud somatic tinnitus along with thudding pulsatile tinnitus. Back to 2016 night terrors for me.

Like the original poster, I believe the pulsatile tinnitus is caused by inflammation. I recently took the antihistamine Promethazine to aid sleep and I noticed there was no pulsatile tinnitus the following night. May try an anti-inflammation diet and/or Ibuprofen to deal with it. For me it is the pulsatile tinnitus that is the problem.

And for the record I will never take another vaccine.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      A month to the day since my first Pfizer vaccine shot. Tinnitus is still way above baseline and the new second tone in my right ear is still there unfortunately.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      8 days since Pfizer booster. The first 12 hours after the shot I heard a completely new but very faint tone in my right, and non-dominant tinnitus ear. It came and went twice for about an hour each time. Haven't heard it since.

Tinnitus remains unchanged.

For what it's worth, I took NAC, Quercetin, NAD+, Vit D, ALA, Vit C, Melatonin leading up to and after the shot.

4. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      I got the Pfizer booster two weeks ago. No effect on tinnitus and hyperacusis, but felt like shit for 2 - 3 days. I hope we don't have to repeat this every 6 months now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Now nearly a month after my first Pfizer shot, pulsatile tinnitus has taken over. Loud unmaskable pumping on aloud drone.

I actually wish my normal tinnitus would grow louder to cover the banging. I have never had anything like this in the past.

For me the Pfizer vaccine was poison.

It must surely be out of my body by now but is the damage it caused repairable, I wonder.

• Hug Hug x 3
    6. Berest

Berest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1,5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid
      I was vaccinated on December 7 with Moderna (first dose).

After 11 days I started hearing a new sound and the pre-existing tinnitus got worse to such an extent that I can no longer sleep without masking.

I'm not getting vaccinated with the second dose.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      It's been 5 days since my Pfizer booster - had a moderate spike that still persists. I was going through a spike before taking the booster, so it's difficult to tell by how much exactly the tinnitus level increased. The change is most notable when wearing ear protection - by now I can hardly do it without wanting to take off the earplugs/earmuffs immediately. Time will tell if/when the spike will abate.

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Davy
      Alienated

Davy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I got tinnitus after my 1st Pfizer vaccine in July. Waited until last week to get my 2nd jab as I was very hesitant because I was worried it would make my tinnitus worse. I was right as my tinnitus has doubled in sound. Wish I never had got it and 100% won't be getting anymore...

• Hug Hug x 3
    9. cherubrock

cherubrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Covid-19 Vaccine, first and only dose
      I got the first Moderna shot in February and started noticing tinnitus a week later. It hasn't gone away since. It also gave me subtle muscle twitching which is finally getting better but the tinnitus is the same mild to moderate intensity.

I'm definitely not getting the second shot. I might get Novavax which is filing for EUA soon, but I want to wait for more data to confirm that it doesn't worsen tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      It has been 10 months since my second Pfizer vaccine, which caused severe tinnitus and mind boggling hyperacusis. It has not subsided.

On a non-tinnitus side note the vaccine also caused anxiety attacks that last for hours and visual snow. The anxiety attacks have improved slightly I think.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. LeighO

LeighO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No change in my tinnitus after 2x Pfizer and 1x Moderna booster. All I had was a sore arm after all three.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. ibeca

ibeca Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ciproflox or walking past an extremely loud jackhammer.
      Update from me, 15 weeks after the first shot of Pfizer.

After the shot, I got hyperacusis, louder tinnitus and a new clicking sound, and pain in my ears.

Other than that I had fatigue and dizziness for 8+ weeks, flu feeling for about 4 weeks, and inflammation throughout my body.

The clicking sound has improved a lot, and the hyperacusis has improved a lot. Ear pain is finally as much as gone.

Tinnitus is still louder than pre-vaccine.

I only still have inflammation in my hands and hip, and a bit of fatigue in my muscles. But not nearly as bad as it was.

I have hope that the tinnitus will improve.

I have not gotten my second shot yet.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Goofyfoot

Goofyfoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna COVID Vaccine
      Happy New Year All!

It's been quite a while since my last post in April, but I've been reading though all of the great discussions here and wanted to jump back in. I wish I had better news, but my vaccine-induced tinnitus has not subsided yet after nearly a year (February 10th was my first Moderna shot). I've thankfully habituated, but I'm pretty confident it hasn't decreased over the course of the year. However, the concurrent hyperacusis I experienced finally subsided after about 3 months, so it has not been all bad.

Over the last year, I've seen an ENT and Audiologist who specializes in tinnitus, with no substantial results besides their acknowledgment that tinnitus has some correlation to the vaccine. Also, because I'm on immunosuppressant medications for a different condition, I've been acutely facing the booster dilemma. Like many of you, I am currently in the Novavax camp and hope that more delays in its authorization doesn't narrow my decision.

I also wanted to share a few resources that you may not have seen yet. These seem to be small signs that the vaccine-tinnitus link could be moving in a somewhat positive direction.

This news investigative article from a few days ago has some email contacts that some of you might interested in. You can either email the investigative reporter to share your case and/or you can contact the Stanford study researcher to see if your case can assist with their research into the vaccine-tinnitus link.

One COVID-19 vaccine notes tinnitus as reported side effect (abc15.com)

Also, here is the Johnson & Johnson Fact Sheet for Recipients and Caregivers from December 14th that lists tinnitus as a risk to getting the vaccine on Page 3. At least one of the big three companies has at least acknowledged it, similar to the way several European countries have.

Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Fact Sheet for Recipients and Caregivers (fda.gov)

I'll continue to post any of my updates that could be relevant to you all. I hope you all have a great 2022!

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Got my Moderna booster about a month ago.

No real change in tinnitus just like the prior shots. My mom, however, is now complaining about tinnitus where before she barely acknowledged it, but she's starting to paint clothing again and use a hairdryer on it which I have told her is really reckless. Not to belittle people's anecdotes but I do think in this thread that there is a lot of correlation being framed as causation here, just as there is on the reverse wide with sham treatments.

There is, however, pretty strong evidence that COVID-19 itself can damage your hearing (or other senses). There was never any real question in my mind on vaccinating.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Got my Pfizer booster today. Previously also had Pfizer for 1st and 2nd dose.

So far no change in tinnitus or hyperacusis. Hoping that continues to be the case. 1st shot of Pfizer I had no issue, but 2nd I got a 2 month hyperacusis/noxacusis flare up. Already dealing with a current noxacusis setback so another on top of it would suck.

Will report back in a few days.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Just got my 3rd jab, the booster. Like the second jab, 24 hours later I have flu like symptoms. No change in tinnitus yet. I don't suspect it will spike.

Phew, this is rough, but hey at least one headache out of the way. I would love to take an Aspirin but you know how that goes... lol.

Netflix and egg drop soup it is!

Be safe.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Alexandor

Alexandor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I got my booster three weeks ago and wanted to share my experience.

I had Moderna for my first two shots, and got spikes each time. They subsided back to baseline over a 2-3 week period.

For my booster, I decided I'd try and supplement with liposomal Glutathione, ALA and NAC, as I read these supplements can potentially protect the auditory system from damage caused by ototoxicity. I started the supplements two weeks prior to the shot, and kept taking them for two weeks after the shot. I didn't experience any spike at all. The booster was Pfizer.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Ksharky13

Ksharky13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect COVID-19 vaccine - Moderna booster in 12/2021
      I wanted to add my input here, for what it's worth.

My wife and I got our booster shots in early December. I had Pfizer first 2 doses, then had Moderna booster. My wife had Moderna for all 3 doses. Neither of us had any issues with tinnitus after the first 2 doses.

About 6 weeks after my booster I had sudden onset of a spike in my normally very unnoticeable tinnitus.

About 6 weeks after that, my wife got the same sudden onset of a high pitched tinnitus. She's never had any history of tinnitus.

We are both very healthy and have taken care of ourselves our entire lives. I am 62 and she is 60. We were looking forward to a long and well-earned retirement together. Now we may be facing a stressed and depressing "golden years" thanks to a rushed vaccine and subsequent "silence" when it comes to reporting and warning people about this devastating side effect. Lord only knows if this is permanent, or worse, will continue to to get worse over time and eventually lead to hearing loss. We were simply doing what we thought was right in order to protect ourselves and others.

I implore anyone who has had a success with their vaccine induced tinnitus eventually resolving, please come back and post it here. People need hope. Good luck to all out there who are dealing with this situation. Let's stay vigilant and demand answers and treatment.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3