Should I believe this idiot ENT or the several drs I've seen?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maithe Marshall, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Okay so over the course of 4 weeks I've had several drs tell me "you have so much fluid" "you have pus and fluid" I got on antibiotics still have fluid.

Today this retard ENT THAT I F**ing HATE! He told me today he saw noting...
      Did a test and said it was normal..
      I do not believe him what so ever. He was a complete ass as well with me and told me "I can't do anything for he pressure in your ear I don't know why you have it" he said he could put "tubes" in my ear but that it would be in there for a year or 2. He didn't even put a otoscope in my ear..
      He put this metal thing and had lights attached to his old glasses...
      I know SOMETHING is wrong with my ears. I'm no idiot I've been told I have fluid by 7 drs I don't think a Air Force dr is uneducated I believe she knows what she's sees and what she's talking about...

So why would a ENT tell me he sees nothing? Should I just give up and realize I will have pressure the rest of my pathetic life now? Btw drs told me "I wouldn't refer my patients to him"

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Why you visit that ENT then? Don't you have a choice?

Can you go to another ENT for a second opinion?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      See he is the only ENT here In the town I'm sadly in. I have a referral to see another one but it's going to take 4 weeks for the referral to go through because this scrappy base my husband got stationed in didn't even give a crap about seeing me or helping me the dr on base is nice but she didn't even want to refer me the first time..
      I went back in today and told her I wanted a referral she gave me one. The reason I saw this f**ing retard was I wanted his opinion on how to get the fluid out but according to him "my ears are perfect"

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      And to see another ENT it's a 2-4 hour drive depending where I go. Luckily I'm leaving this crap town going back to DC where real good medical people are but who knows how long it will take to get to see one out there...

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I'm sure you'll find a good one in dc. Love that area hoping to move there soon actually. Anyway see an ent in dc hopefully they can help you out.

6. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      If you see a gp and get them to get you a referral let them know your situation and they can prob get you one relatively quick.

7. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Doctors are useless when it comes to tinnitus/ears in general, I went to the doctors 2 weeks after getting noise induced tinnitus (prolonged fire alarm exposure in a garden shed), he looked in my ears and he said the little bones in my right ear were shaking..he told me to take betaserc (menieres medication) tablets that would stop the ear shaking and in turn would stop the ringing, even though I told him it was noise induced....lol...betaserc did nothing, went back 2 weeks later, he said my eardrums looked fine!? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he had just googled the word tinnitus after..:dohanimation: no clue!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hmmm yea like you said best bet is to go find one in dc... Theres one on every street corner prob ha.. I live near philly and i could prob get an appointment with 3 different ones all in one week.. There soo quick schedualing here and im sure its like that in dc. Have you thought about just flying bac home yet?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Noooooooo flying according to my on base dr because the invisible "fluid" but I'm taking a train Saturday getting out of this shit area for good! Sad to leave my husband but mentally this area is depressing I can't do it. Plus the elevation is so high it's crazy and DC isn't. I hope I figure this out..
      I have so much pressure..

10. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Maithe
      Military doctors...nuff said (otherwise I will be forced to write bad words here). If your ears hurt, you feel pressure in them, other Dr.s tell you there is fluid -- then you have fluid in your ears.

I'm going to contact my audiologist and ask him the basic questions about fluid/pressure (et al); no worries, I won't mention your name or anything like that (I'll just ask the question academically). I'll get back to you with what he would advise.

Don't give up (obviously you are not); good idea seeking medical help elsewhere. Seek out an audiologist; even my civilian GP and ENT (plus another well renowned ENT that has tinnitus) were useless. My GP non-nonchalantly looked at a matrix for a few minutes and said 'Oh, you have meniere's disease'; and then basically told me where to take care of my co-payment. I don't have meniere's disease.

Try to find a good audiologist that works with T; and find an ENT that is worth a hoot (because you obviously have fluid in your ears).

Prayers Always!

Mark

11. Kris

Kris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maître I have had the same condition for a while now. I remember how much pressure I had in the first few months.

Regardless if there is fluid or not, there is very little in an ENTs toolbox that will help. Time is really the key here, and patience. Hard I know.

I recommend gettig a script for nasonex (I think it might be Flonase) in your country. An stick with it for at least a month, it takes a while to do anything. It will open up your nose and in turn your tubes, potentially.

Drink heaps of water and try not to focus on your ears - a mistake I made but am now managing quite easily.

It will get better, it will just take time.

Oh and in y opinion, avoid ventilation tubes. Give your ears a chance to fix themselves naturally.

Like you, I have never had any ear issues, ever, until the pressure and buzzing developed in march last year. Things are waaaaay better for me now.

12. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      Maithe,

I can relate to your situation somewhat. All of my problems started with a bug that gave me congestion and an earache in my left ear. That was back in December. I still have on and off pain, pressure in the ear, and somedays I feel off balance and slightly dizzy. I've had 3 doctors look in my ear and say they see nothing but there has got to be something. If it was just a feeling of pressure, I could believe that the tinnitus is causing that. But pain and dizziness, no. Plus that ear pops and clicks some when I swallow etc. There has to be something wrong.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Oh okay got it! Yea train sounds more safer then.. And the elevation thing could also play a roll in it ya never know maybe once you get bac to your hometown and get to an actual doctor that will work with you, things will go better and you can then discuss any treatment options and get a good opinnion about things! Then your T may just slippp awayyyy :) good luck!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Really? I thought about getting a incision in my ear where it drains the The fluid and it heals within 2-3 days

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Most health insurance cards have a 24/7 nurseline phone #. Maybe they could advise you?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I have military insurance! Not sure if they do:/ there's a few military bases where I'm from that have hospitals, urgent care and a ENT I'm going to go Andrews and get checked out.

17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess you could go to the ER and get another opinion if urgent care is closed for the day. It may give you peace of mind. I know the ER sometimes diminish ear ringing like it's no big deal, but you have to do what's best for you.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      it actually makes me sad to know that drs don't care..

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most of them don't know how scary tinnitus is, unless they have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Yeah the ENT said his ears ring off the walls..
      But he was so mean about it.

21. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      Maithe Marshall Please if you can Please go to Dr Weeks hes the Best ENT in the US I have my full trust in him after seeing Him on the DR tv show he did the Balone Plasty on Diane Taylor on TV she had the same thing as you and i do and he made her better that why hes the only ENT ill see hes worth the $500 consultation fee even tho i am in no position to pay it i will in order to get better

hers her video

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/home_page?init_type=Feature&init_id=5437?l=3ca81cb4-65b3-4e93-979f-00709b39366e

and BTW im in no way with Dr weeks or getting payed by him to promote him i just really have trust in him

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
    23. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      in san diego California i live about 3-4 hours away and im going to go see him i dont drive so im taking a rail system to see him

24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sometimes the muscles of the neck & face can go into spasm from forward head posture (FHP) that most of us have being in front of a computer, causing or exasperating our tinnitus. @Sound Wave has a very good thread on that. I was prescribed a muscle relaxer med today for muscle spasms.

Improving your posture and doing some exercises to help counteract FHP could lessen your noise.

• Like Like x 1
    25. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Your options:

1) See an ENT surgeon, and not an ENT doctor.
      2) Have a test done where you swallow three times while pinching your nose as part of the tympanometry exam.
      3) Have a CT scan done of your sinuses and airways (MRI scans are not useful for this specific evaluation).
      4) Have a visual exam of your Eustachian tube done (done via the nose). This will need to be done under full anesthesia (even though it is just an exam).

A private doctor/surgeon will be happy to do that for you. A public doctor will probably not (unless your head is about to fall off).

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Thank you for the info.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Please tell me how it goes!?

28. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      dont think in germany its any different! when it comes to ear problems ,no one seems to have a clue! 5 doctors-5 opinions!same here! ;(

29. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Treating T, and especially somatic T, requires a multidisciplinary team of experts. Ideally you need at least an ENT doctor, dentist and a physiotherapist. Sometimes even more. It's a lot to ask from a single person. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Not so much of trying to treat t I am trying to get this so called "fluid" out which I believe I have because I've only had 7 drs tell me I have fluid, so much fluid my eardrum is bulging I don't think that's something they would misdiagnose. But this stupid ENT has never seen a "issue" with my ears..
      But I've only heard bad things about him..my husband staff sergeant ( there military) told me that he has a blister on his eardrum he went to the same ENT who said "I see nothing" he knew something was wrong! He went back to his home town and a dr told him you have a blister on your eardrum and he has to have special drops in his ear.

It's okay in headed back to virginia to get looked at