Should I Stop Taking Ativan or Not?

Discussion in 'Support' started by quietatnight, Feb 6, 2017.

1. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I been trying to figure what I should do ?

I have been on ativan for many years with no problems, but decided it was time to stop taking it, so the past few weeks I have been taking less and less trying to slowly taper off of it. I thought I was doing fine, then all the sudden 3 days ago after taking what was going to be my last ativan and 30 minutes later my tinnitus just out of know where spiked up crazy loud. I have no idea why ? It never did that in the 20 years that I have been on and off of it. I was wondering if maybe I stopped it too soon ? and I'm having some kind of withdraw issues, if that's the case should go back on it and then try tapering off of it again later but slower ? I have also heard that it "can" be ototoxic ? but but according to the data sheet My ENT and pharmacist all say that it is NOT. So I'm not sure what to believe on that. I have a hard time thinking that it could be that all the sudden after taking it 20 years. I guess this could just be one of my general spikes and stress related over trying to get off of the medication.

If anyone has had some experience with this please let me know.

Thank You in advance for any input.

Louie

Quietatnight

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tinnitus spikes as a result of benzo w/d are practically textbook. sometimes going really slowly, or cutting over to a longer-acting benzo and tapering that, lets you taper without severe problems -- sometimes not. Sometimes the tinnitus gets better months or years after withdrawing sometimes it doesn't. Benzos are well known to have vestibular effects and I know that the prescribing literature for Alprazolam talks about hearing loss and tinnitus, so it sounds like your doctors/pharmacists are a little out of the loop on that.

How old are you? And, if you have taken this for many years without problems, why do you want to come off it now?

I was on benzos for years and don't necessarily think it did me any favors -- it probably predisposed me to the tinnitus I have now. That said, I continue to think about getting back on them, because any time I let myself take a dose, it makes me feel okay with the world in a way I rarely do otherwise.

Also -- "several weeks" is definitely not a slow taper. If you google the Ashton manual -- if you've been on benzos for 20 years, you're probably looking at a 6-18 month taper period to go off them in the way which is generally medically advised.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      linearb

I am 63 years old, and like I said I have been taking these kinds of medications for many years, most of the time I don't even take them the same every time. One day I may or may not even take ativan the next I may take 2 depending how I was feeling that day. But I never had any problems before now so I just don't understand. It's just crazy. I think at this time I need to try and figure out what is causing the increase in my tinnitus. whether if the ativan has become ototic to me in some way or just a withdraw issue. I need to find out. It's seems crazy to start back up on them if the ativan is trying to attack my ears in some way and just make it worse. On the other hand if the increase is due to a medication withdraw then it would make sense to get back on it right away. I don't know if I'm being clear or not here. It is a double sided sword at this point.

Is their some way to tell the difference ? I feel that's a good question.

Louie

Quietatnight

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What if it was an independent event, maybe simply due to aging. I mean our ears don't get any better with age, so you'd expect potential changes in Tinnitus as you get older (it's not uncommon for people to report that their T gets worse with age).
      Maybe it's something else that is completely unrelated to your benzo intake.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      GregCA

That is a very interesting point, I never even thought about that. I could see that happening as we get older.

Thank You

Louie

Quietatnight

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Any medication that effects the brain can cause tinnitus starting it or coming off it.
      It should settle like a spike so do what you can to relax and stay calm as anxiety can be a withdrawal symptom making you restless so remember its the withdrawal and not you...
      Be kind to your self and lots of fresh air to help keep your chin up.....lots of love glynis

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if it were me i would instantly reinstate to the full dose, ride it out for a couple weeks and see what happens. I think it's 10:1 that the benzo reduction is causing the spike, and I would personally not mess with that.