Since I Was 5 — Tinnitus & Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kate-Molly, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Kate-Molly

Kate-Molly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear operations
      I have had 4 ear operations all to do with grommets as far as I am aware (I had them from 5-14years old, I am now 22).

Ever since I remember I've had tinnitus in both ears (loud high pitched ringing) but recently I actually accidentally came across the meaning of pulsatile tinnitus. This is also something I've had ever since I can remember but I had no idea it was a form of tinnitus until I read it online.

Does anyone else have both forms of tinnitus? Or had tinnitus form through operations? This is how I assume I have acquired it!

I don't know if going to the doctors is necessary as I've had it for so many years but online it expressed some concerns about pulsatile tinnitus. What do you think?

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. I don't have pulsatile tinnitus but other members here have it or have both. You may want to post your question at the Pulsatile support forum so others can see your post. One notable member @Karen is quite experienced with pulsatile tinnitus. Perhaps she can advise you on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Kate-Molly ,
      Welcome to tinnitus talk.
      I know a small betablocker or hearing aids can help pulsitile tinnitus .
      I would see your doctor and ENT and see if they can help you.
      Have a lovely Christmas...lots of love glynis

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes I have both, although the PT is not constant for me - it comes and goes. Comes to visit every few weeks or so. Like the low frequency foghorn - that one also comes every once in a while, stays for a few days, then goes away again.
      Right now I "only" have the loud unmaskable high pitch. I guess I should be thankful.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Kate-Molly,

Like you, I have both regular (high-pitched) tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus. I had regular, fairly mild tinnitus for many years, until I took a blood pressure drug back in 2010. That's when my pulsatile tinnitus started, and my regular, high-pitched tinnitus got much worse.

Usually, pulsatile tinnitus has a vascular cause, but it is possible that, in your case, having the grommets inserted, etc., could have brought yours on. I believe my pulsating started because my ear was already sensitive and vulnerable, and yours may be the same way.

As Glynis suggests, you could consider trying a low-dose beta blocker, or try a hearing aid on a 30-day free trial to see if it might help.

If you still concerned about the cause of your PT, you might want to go to a doctor to be checked out, just to rule out any vascular issues.

I did that, and no specific cause was found, so I have been living with mine for the past 6 years. I wish you well, and hope you'll post again to let us know what you decide to do.

Very best wishes,
      Karen

6. Zieken
      Volatile

Zieken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, Kate-Molly!

I've had it since I was a kid too, just figured I'd say hi. I had a lot of ear infections as a kid and got tubes and stuff. I believe my tinnitus started with the scars left on the eardrums so maybe something similar to you, as far as I know I only have non-pulsatile tinnitus though. I have heard that chiropractic treatment on the neck and back can help with the pulsatile tinnitus if you wanted to look into that.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      many years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown....
      Hello Kate-Molly
      I have both forms of tinnitus. It can be very intense...especially with the pulsing when I am hot or stressed.

I'm older than you in my fifties and I have been living with tinnitus for many long years. More recently it has become louder. Like I mentioned, I also have vascular or pulsatile tinnitus (I think the same thing) and recently had an MRI (I have been putting off but needed for a medical certificate).

I have a bulge on the right side of my brain in the jugular artery. So this empirically explains the whooshing pulsing sound close to the right ear which is where I feel the fullness and experience incessant ringing (I am also deaf in this ear).

Like many here, I try to manage the "outer" environment as best as possible: it's not easy as I get fatigued really easily. But a day at a time and a positive attitude is key.
      A calm, quiet setting if possible, good diet and less inflammatory foods.
      walking in nature
      yoga when I feel up to it

Anyway, thought I would share that.
      Blessings to you