Since We're Supposed to Stop Using Headphones, Can You Play Music and Podcasts Through Hearing Aids?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr_Orange_3737, Apr 8, 2021.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I have read that noise cancelling headphones do not provide any noise protection.

• Like Like x 1
    2. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes they have some nice features now.

3. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Do you have a source? I can certainly represent that with noise canceling headphones on I can listen at much lower volumes so I am skeptical of such claims. Moreover, not providing protection and causing harm are different.

Noise-canceling headphones can help prevent hearing loss, if you use them right

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Here is a break down of the different types of sound signatures for headphones.

https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/audiophile-guide/sound-signatures-explained

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Unfortunately I can't. My posts are intended for guidance only and are not absolute. If you wish to try some of my suggestions, see what works for you.

Best of luck.
      Michael

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As I have previously said, my posts are intended for guidance only and are not absolute. I believe you are tying to find scientific answers to your questions regarding tinnitus and the way it reacts. You won't find any because each person will experience the condition differently. People that have noise induced tinnitus do share certain similarities and I have previously explained this to you, particularly those that return to using any type of headphones after habituation. They risk making their tinnitus worse each time they use headphones, earbuds, headsets. At first everything may seem fine but things can suddenly change without warning.

Some doctors will tell patients that have noise induced tinnitus what they want to hear: using headphones is fine as long as the volume is kept low. The truth is these doctors don't know. Do not be lulled into a false belief because they are medically qualified they know about tinnitus. They are physicians and I believe experts in their field of medicine, but most know very little about tinnitus, particularly noise induced which they have probably never experienced.

I have noise induced tinnitus and have made it my mission to do my own research into the condition and what can make it worse. Corresponding and counselling people affected with it, I have concluded that using any type of headphones after habituation and being exposed to further loud noise, are the two main causes that make it worse.

Some people that have noise induced tinnitus use headphones, earbuds, or headsets without any problems. However, I have said things can suddenly change. Type headphones in the search box at the top of this page and read members posts. If you are looking for concrete surety that using any type headphones at low volume is safe, then I don't believe you will find it.

In my opinion, anyone that has noise induced tinnitus is risking their health using them.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I have been arguing this for years! Haha! It doesn't make sense that 60 decibels from an external source is different from 60 feet away. Its all the same sound. No one has every been able to prove otherwise.

Below is a thread where I show Apple's new safety features regarding headphones.

iPhone's Headphone Safety Feature

8. Flet
      Alienated

Flet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Me too. This particular thing bothers me, the idea that ANC in an earbud is actually playing a sound too high/low to hear, but at too much of a volume that I can't control.

Personally, I would think that something like that would be illegal and immoral, and if discovered would be all over the news. Plus, I just purchased some Beats Studio buds to be noise cancelling AND because of the posts just above discussing the Apple ecosystem (Beats ANC earbuds will work in letting me know the dB and timing etc...).

Beyond listening to music as my absolute #1 hobby (it's more than a hobby, it's my life), I also can not NOT use earbuds very often as work discussion zoom/teams meetings make it a necessity.

So please help.

9. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thank you Michael. Yes, I typically look for scientific explanations. I don't doubt your advice or your experiences but when things lack a scientific basis, I tend to wonder whether there could be other causes. I am definitely giving up headphones for about 90% of my prior use cases. There are a few that I will take the risk on, including very very low volumes when doing certain activities like exercise where without them, I'd be miserable.

10. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I feel your pain. I love gadgets and true wireless headphones were once of my favorite hobbies. As much as the music, I enjoy the tech. I'm not going to use IEMs anymore and possibly not even over ears. I am considering using noise cancelling headphones for a few specific situations - primarily exercise. I could go with IEMs or over ears for this but IEMs will be preferable. I have tried by Bose ANC True Wireless both with no sound and with very low volume. I have not noticed any aggravation of my tinnitus but I am concerned that something could be going on with the ANC that we don't know about. I still have to believe that ANC plus a lower volume is preferable to no ANC and a higher volume. By way of example, I ride a stationary bike with a fan. If I just put the ANC headphones on, everything is MUCH quieter. How can this be a bad thing?

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many years ago when I first got tinnitus, I didn't want to believe that is was listening to music through headphones at too high a volume caused it. Eventually I had to be honest with myself that it was my fault. I was using headphones too much and listening to music at too high a volume without realizing it.

All I can say is to be careful when using any type of headphones even at low volume. If the tinnitus spikes or slowly increases without you noticing it at first, it might not reduce to its previous baseline level.

Michael

12. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thank you. I will. I too have no one to blame but myself for this situation. Stupid teenager going to too many concerts. Over the years I've Cleary not done enough to protect myself. I cannot be sure what has caused this increase - its probably just a combination of not being careful enough generally - and at this point I'm not expecting a reduction to baseline. So from here on out I need to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's not quite how ANC works though. Here's a good primer (pay attention to the wave labelled "COMBINED" as that's what hits your ear drum):

How do noise-cancelling headphones work?

• Like Like x 2
    14. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea that article states that noise cancellation protects your hearing by allowing you to listen to headphones at a lower volume, but nothing about protection from outside volume levels.

Noise cancellation may reduce some low frequency sounds but that's about it:

Noise Canceling Hearing Protection – Does It Really Exist?

Noise-Cancelling Headphones/Earbuds versus Hearing Protection Devices (Fact Sheet, PDF)

• Like Like x 1
    15. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Okay but the point still remains. Something is better than nothing and if it allows me to listen at lower volumes that has to be a good thing. Most importantly, does it harm your ears? It does not appear to be the case but I'm a little confused about that.

16. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I think I misinterpreted what you were asking, so I apologize for that.

17. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Nah - I appreciate the response. I think I am deducing that ANC doesn't "really" lower noise levels but I think it does in fact allow you to listen to music at a lower volume which has some value. As for whether ANC could be harmful to tinnitus, I'm not seeing that. This does throw a wrench in my plans to use ANC in nosier situations however since it doesn't look like it offers any protection.

18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I haven't seen any scientific study that demonstrates harm, but I have come across claims of harmful outcomes from it on this very forum.
      Scientifically speaking, ANC does really lower noise levels. That's because the destructive interference process reduces the amplitude of the sound wave hitting your drum, and therefore, its intensity. It doesn't do as good a job throughout the whole audible spectrum (it's not as good with high frequencies as it is with low frequencies), but it's still a win in terms of sound level reduction.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Flet
      Alienated

Flet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This gives me some hope. Thanks.

20. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I am going to check it out! Thanks for the info. I use my Apple Watch for walking and steps every day.

Best,
      twa

21. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have the Noise complication on my Apple Watch face so I can check the decibel level of my environment quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    22. nay

nay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert without earplugs
      Mine goes off whenever it's windy outside!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Yes, I'd never thought about this while cycling before tinnitus but now, I realize it absolutely is too loud in the wind. I googled it once and there was a bit about cyclists commonly having hearing loss.

24. nogg
      Angry

nogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer noise
      Indeed. After my hyperacusis and tinnitus started, I HAD to wear earplugs when riding a bike I could still hear traffic sounds quite well, so it didn't cause any safety issues. But, as my condition worsened due to other things, I've had to give up bicycle riding altogether.

• Like Like x 1