Slowly Given Up with Doctors

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa Robinson, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Flew back from Australia last week and of course ears have got worse again, popping when swallowing and so on. Doctors in Oz said fluid is behind ear drum in my right. Anyway last Monday when to the doctors here and he looks in my ear and says there is fluid. I said to him can I be seen ASAP by an ENT. A hospital emergency ENT I spoke to said I can be seen the next day. He pretty much said my ear wasn't a problem, I was like it's been three months now. He won't refer for next day only for me to wait months to see an ENT on the list. So anyway had some little bit of fluid discharge come out and went back again and now my cold has made things worse.

I am mad I don't want this end up turning into an inner ear disease. I've even phoned hospitals and they don't drain ears. What should I do? Doctor is refusing to refer me for next day.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Can you possibly go see a private ENT? Or is that out of the question for one reason or another.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I was thinking that. He reckons the ENT wouldn't do anything right away even if I got seen.

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      You seem to write quite a lot here on the forum - "fluid" being the topic each time.

If I recall correctly from briefly reviewing your introduction at some point, you had tinnitus since a year and before any of your "fluid in the ear" issues began. So logically speaking, the fluid isn't the cause of your tinnitus; you had tinnitus already (correct me if I am wrong).

Anyway, here is what I would do in your situation: see an ENT in the private sector if you feel the fluid is an issue - an ENT in the private sector should be able to take you in more or less immediately. Additionally, you could locate a professor of the ENT field if you want to be 100% sure of a competent and thorough examination. See him/her, explain your concern, ask for possible evaluations eg. tympanometry test, hearing test, CAT scan of the airways, visual inspection of the euchastian tube, etc. if you want to be 100% sure of ruling out any problems as well as getting the correct remedies.

This isn't complicated.

That's probably because there isn't anything immediately wrong with you. But see answer above.

You can also contact Dr. Nagler on this board.

Take care.

EDIT: As I was typing this, Markku had already suggested the same approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah the fluid isant why I have tinnitus. I've had that just over a year now. Just a bit down and getting so nervous that the fluid could cause complications :( just panicking which isant helping I guess.

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Why is this a problem? Mine pop every time I swallow. Always have.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      It's the fluid Thats bothering me more. Everyone reacts differently. My ears have never popped.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Lisa,

Many of us with tinnitus started out with a feeling of fullness in our ears. I had it for at least two years after my tinnitus got worse. Now, however, that feeling of fullness (the feeling like your ears need to "pop") is totally gone. We don't really know what causes it, but it could have to do with an imbalance in the Eustachian tubes.

Anyway, if the problem is fullness, I'm not sure an ENT will be able to help. It may take awhile, but could go away on its own.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      As far as I know your ears are supposed to pop when you swallow. Have you tried lots of water? Your tubes are probably just a bit gummy. Water helps if my ears click or pop a lot when I swallow.

10. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I am wary of what I am about to write seeming like a dumb kneejerk reaction, but anyway...

If you are worried about complications it may be best not to push too hard for a medical intervention. It is far from unknown for doctors to cause or worsen tinnitus. Depending on the individual doctor concerned, she or he may be more likely to propose an intervention that is not strictly warranted if that seems the only way to pacify your anxiety.

P.S. In support of above, 6 people have so far posted on this thread. 50 percent (Markku, Karen and myself) seem to have had this experience of medical interventions causing or worsening T..

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Same. Ciprodex ear drops mixed with a few other things handed to me to make me feel better. If I hadn't seen a doctor about my T it would still be very minor.

• Like Like x 1
    12. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Wow. Not exactly a rigourous study, but that is 66 percent at least.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Thanks for the replies. I just panic sometimes my ears feel full and other days it don't. Keep panicking I will get MD :( I suffer with anxiety so I tend to worry a lot. Doctors say I don't have MD but fluid being ears for long can cause problems can't it?

14. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Probably. So go see an ENT in the private sector and... perhaps someone who can help with anxiety (psychotherapist, hypnotherapist).

My suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah sounds like you just worry about things that are maybe non issues. If your ears feel full try yawning or chewing gum.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @Lisa Robinson
      So sorry for your heartache; I'd say don't panic but I find that I do the same thing at times. Don't panic (I'm a hypocrite :LOL:). Doctors can be like cars, they're great when everything is running smoothly, it's horrible when you have to get out and push (gotta love em'). It's just that we depend on them so much.

Have you been diagnosed with Eustachian tube disorder? It's more common in women (smaller/narrower e-tube -- gets clogged up easy and causes a fullness in the ears). Sorry if that is a useless observation/question, but it might be an avenue to pursue.

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mark, you may be onto something! I had fullness in my ears for at least a couple of years after my tinnitus was worsened (my doctor prescribed blood pressure medicine for me, and that caused my tinnitus to get much, much worse!)

My fullness went away on its own, but I often wondered if it had to do with the Eustachian tubes. I still think it did.

Lisa, yours might go away on its own, too, in time.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Glad to see you back home Lisa ,I've had ear fullness going on 9 years ,some days better than others ,how it goes with having T ,now the balance going also . I know it's not helping anxiety ,what it does ,I agree with Telis try drinking more water ,I do ,roughly 4/5 bottles of 50 mls every day ,start on water soon as I wake ,right up till I go to bed .Karen was right to it's the Eustachian tubes ,it's finding that Magic answer to getting them unblocked ,and staying that way .Hope now at home ,your see things getting better .I was told allergies are prime culprit for it .
      Mark may well be onto females having this more than males ,might be good poll to put up ,only work if we all take part ,purely out of interest ,how many males on site have balance issues to ,against the females on TT ,that's another big problem having T .Good Luck at your ENT Lisa

• Like Like x 1
    19. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US (I'm sure the rest of the world is similar) so nothing surprises me when it comes to doctors and medications causing a ton of harm.

• Agree Agree x 5
    20. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Ear infections often clear up on their own. A little fluid should be nothing to worry about unless you have pain and serious inflammation. As for myself, I get plenty of rest, take hot showers, eat hot soups and drink warm teas and take in extra vitamin C in pill form and from fruits and vegetables.

When none of that works the doctors will often prescribe medication if in pain. You need to be careful because some antibiotics and even non-steroidal medications can be Ototoxic, so talk to your doctor about these concerns. Perhaps all you need is a decongestant nasal spray or Antihistamine tablets for now, but even these carry some mild temporary Ototoxic risks. I'm not sure I want to say what brand of meds you should take because I'd hate for your Tinnitus to get worse and blame me for it.

In short, taking a Antihistamine can dry up that mucus and maybe fix the fluid buildup. The bigger picture here though is what is causing your inflammation to rise? Perhaps a food journal could help narrow down suspect foods in your diet. You could start by eliminating milk and dairy products, eggs, wheat, corn, peanut butter, dried fruit, sugar, honey, and concentrated fruit juice. Consuming too much sodium can offset your inner ear fluid levels as well.

I'm not sure how accurate this information is but I'm quoting part of it.
      Reduce inflammation and stop tinnitus
      http://www.naturalnews.com/031021_tinnitus_inflammation.html

"These pro-inflammatory mediators cause an increase in vasoconstriction and platelet aggregation. This decreases blood flow into the smaller capillaries of the body such as the inner ear. This inflammatory process also increases the lymphatic fluid in the inner ear. This combination increases pressure in the inner ear which stimulates the auditory nerve enough to create a series of action potentials that the brain interprets as sound."

"Begin eating an anti-inflammatory diet that consists of phytonutrient dense fruits & vegetables, healthy fat sources, and grass-fed/free-range animal products. Keep sugar & grains to a minimum. Use coconut, olive oil, grass-fed meat, free range eggs, avocados, nuts/seeds, and non-starchy vegetables as primary fuels throughout the day. Load up on anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, ginger, dandelion, oregano, garlic, & green tea. The primary fruits that should be used are low-sugar, anti-oxidant rich sources such as berries, lemons/ limes, & grapefruits."
      I've always suspected that some healthy foods might be making my tinnitus worse. Seems like the more I try to consume high antioxidant and nutrient dense foods the more problems I run into with Tinnitus. I just figured out last year that I'm allergic to sesame ezekiel bread. I was trying to avoid gluten and ended up in a scary situation of not being able to swallow solid food for days. Just another reason to keep a food journal because it could take a few days to notice problems and leave you scratching your head in confusion.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    21. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I just thought there is something called 'Otovent' that you could look into @Lisa Robinson. I cannot vouch for its safety or effectiveness, but it might be worth looking into a little bit.

22. I have some very good friends who are Consultants and GPs who are very good at their job. Sadly some GPs have no time for us as they have very little knowledge on Tinnitus, All they know is there is not a cure yet ( I am working on a real one today, flipping amazing day I have had) So they just tell you to go away, and to find people like me or groups like this and others to find help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good Point! It is, after all, a medical practice -- YIKES!!

So far they have done ok for me; however I choose a lifestyle that allows me to avoid them as much as possible (even though I find them to be amazing people).

It's the business (for profit) component mixed with medicine that gives me pause...

- fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh meat prepared well, some dairy products and nuts, exercise, hard work and a life lived in truth; the rest is up to Him

• Like Like x 2
    24. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I like your philosophy, Mark! That seems like the best way to live -- eating right, exercise, hard work, and faith. What could be better!!

I try to avoid doctors as much as possible these days, myself. I did find a primary care physician that is into natural medicine, so I don't feel I'll be overmedicated any more.

I agree with Marlene that maybe it would be good to take a poll to see how many people (male or female) have fullness in the ears and dizziness. That would be interesting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Mark McDill
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Karen
      Good idea!!

I think it would be an interesting poll, combined with some of the remedies people have found effective.

Pretty sure that if I did have fullness in my ears I wouldn't know -- cause I have so much extra/wasted space between my ears :LOL:

Mark

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      I have tried cutting a lot of salt out of my diet and taking my vitamins. I drink plenty of water too. My tinnitus has been ok since being home, in Australia omg it was awful I was in tears so it's gone down. The popping ears, on and off fullness happened and fluid since the flights. 24 hours is long time on a flight.

27. Excession
      No Mood

Excession Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @Lisa Robinson

Hi, I think you need to work on trying to open and clear the Eustachian tube if at all possible, this should help drain the fluid that has been trapped behind your eardrum. Try inhaling steam orally a few times a day, also if you think you have any allergies you could try a corticosteroid spray like Beclometasone Dipropionate to help clear the nasal passage.
      One more thing that might help is going running, the repeated impacts of hitting the ground can sometimes dislodge trapped fluid in the ear.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

28. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Try one of those facial steam machines. Good for clearing blocked ears. Do it three times daily. Should clear them quickly.

29. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My doctor told me that if I get a head cold it's possible for fluid buildup and because I have T, I should pop Benadryls and use my Flonase nose spray to decrease the ear drum "Bulge" she sees when people have fluid.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Why do ears burn though? Is that a worrying sign?