So, Now I'm 28 and Have Hearing Loss, Is This Guy Saying I Now Am Losing Brain Function Too?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Apr 8, 2016.

1. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Hey Mike - I am still looking for those posts where you say I have claimed information as my own contributions...

Looking forward to that.

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Guys, really. Stop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Go PM him if you want this information or start a new thread. Please take a hint and stop. He said he not responding to this anymore out of respect to the topic. He isn't responding to this anymore he stated. If you want a response or to continue this thread , go start another thread.

Again I would like this thread to stay open.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey Jdjd.He didn't go into too much detail but he did say after it happened he was furious,why me how do I go on now etc.He said he needed time to accept and move on and that's why he moved back home,just so he could see where he stood.Getting a hearing aid didn't bother him,there's no stigma here involving hearing aids,the Irish receipe for someone making fun of you is to laugh at yourself too,because if you can't laugh at yourself what can you laugh at.His answer was time,help,acceptance and moving with hopes for the future.Theres nothing you can really do for hearing loss like his,sure they gave him steroids but it made no difference.He's nearly deaf on that side,he struggles to make out sounds but he did say the hearing aid makes a big difference but it just takes a little getting use to.After awhile he said it's no different than putting your watch on your wrist in the morning.He's 27 going 28 now but I think he was 24 when it happened and he's doing great now!Hes looking forward to his wedding,loves his job and couldn't be happier.He bought one of those new ones,sit on your ear and they're made of a see through plastic,honestly you'd have to be looking for his hearing aid to spot it.Any more questions feel free to ask.

• Like Like x 2
    5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      One like this Jdjd,honestly you'd barely notice it. image.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Can we please keep this thread on-topic from now on? Thanks everyone :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, he basically lost most all his hearing? Did he say how much (like the Khz and DBs)? Does he hear music and stuff the same now with the hearing aid? Or how different is hearing for him if he said?

I'm guessing in Ireland, those hearing aids are covered with the universal healthcare in that country (don't have that in USA and many insurance don't cover Hearing Aids)?

8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      He lost a lot of hearing but I'll ask him exactly what frequencies and dbs etc if it helps.I don't know about how well he hears through his damaged ear but I know it's not great,often been in his house and he wouldn't have the hearing aid in,says that's how he tunes his girlfriend out lol,and he'd talk to us with his good ear tilted towards us if that gives you an idea.When the aid is in I can honestly say even with his bad ear pointed towards us he's never asked me once to speak up or repeat myself.I don't know how hearing aids are supplied here but I do believe the government gives you a grant towards them if your on the public sector.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Can I ask how loud it is? So, he is saying that without his hearing aids he can think fine just as well?

I just wonder if life will ever go back to normal. People say it will, but IDK. I had T before this and life was normal then. IDK about now if it will ever get normal again. Maybe it will. But I really don't know.

10. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      His T is a high pitch squeel with a low hum,he says it quite loud,hears it over conversation.He did say just after he lost his hearing he couldn't think straight or concentrate on anything,his mind was fixated on his ear regardless if he wanted it or not,he said his time with his folks gave him and his mind time to adjust.His job is quite hectic and requires a lot of thinking and decision making,and you know what?Hes damn good at it too.If hearing loss made your brain turn into a pile of useless goo like the Internet has convinced you it does,would Vodafone have someone mentally impaired in charge of such an important position in their company?No they wouldn't.Would he be able to handle the job if he was mentally impaired?No he wouldn't but yet he does and brilliantly at that.He's still the really smart and creative person I always knew.He coined one of the best descriptions for what happened to him another suits your situation perfectly,he said"Before I lost my hearing that was my normal,this is my new normal,it's not better or worse it's just different"It takes time Jdjd just like it did for him.Where do you live exactly,I'd love to get him to talk to you personally,not messages but an actual conversation over the phone so that you can talk to someone in the very same situation as you.PM me and we can make it happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      So yes, people can have loud and out of control T, deafness, ear pain, H etc and it's not considered a disability by most here at TT, in fact everyone goes on to achieve great things and live an incredible life, this much we have established. I've read thousands of heroic stories here at TT over the last year and a half, they never end. They could all be made for TV movies, just unreal, they bring a tear to my eye everyday.

The one thing that I constantly wonder about though is all the disability handed out for tinnitus. Are all these war vets just leaching off the system? If they are, shouldn't people be outraged? This is a lot of tax payer dollars down the shitter for a bunch of people that are not actually disabled. Or are they just weak minded and overly sensitive unlike the many strong individuals here? Maybe they have mental issues? It can't be the tinnitus according to the majority here. I'm confused, maybe someone could ahed some light?

Most say that you can beat this with the right attitude, maybe some yoga or meditation, a little drive and determination yet we are paying piles of money to disability to support others. Why? Couldn't these people be out working instead of taking our money and sitting around being useless. Maybe if they came here and read some of the stories and weren't so negative?

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In general they are out working; tinnitus pays out at 10% of full disability for vets, compared to 30-50% for loss of hearing (http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_87.doc).

I don't think they're leaching off the system as much as feel entitled to compensation for a lower quality of life as a result of service; that said, tinnitus does have a reputation on a military forum I read for being a relatively easy disability claim since it's purely subjective. I know two veterans with some degree of HL and in one case loud tinnitus from firing cannons; they both have full time day jobs.

13. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Telis just forgot to use smilies...You know he has real debilitating T (in contrast to jd09)
      It is just his way of saying what people with killer T think about Jd's daily threads.

14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As linerab said it's 10% disability for vets meaning they get 10% pay tax free for life and that is not affected by their occupation. This is another thing I find myself biting my tongue over. I'm sure a lot of vets have T, its a very noisy environment, and I'm sure those with loud intrusive T would rather a cure than the disability, but it would be naive to think some don't take advantage of the fact that nothing has to be proven. I hate saying this because I know how frustrating it is to be told it's all in your head and it's not a real injury. The same thing happened to me at work, only there is no disability option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      Can tell you are an American with that attitude to welfare. :) Here in New Zealand we are proud of having a social safety net for people who need support!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Ok, thanks for sharing. I would be interested in chatting for a bit, not sure with the timezones. Maybe through email or text may be easier. I guess, I would like to know how he made it through.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, I say lets not start another argument on politics...as this thread has gone down a bad road repeatedly whenever it's done.

Yes, I would say no need to do the crab in a pot thing (where you pull the other down instead of everyone rising up). I would think instead of asking why others get benefits, one should probably ask why you don't.

Also, taking away the benefits would be very counterproductive. With it being the largest cost to VA benefits, it may motivate government to begin funding research to come up with a cure for hearing loss and tinnitus. They already appear to be funding some things for this. Taking away benefits would not help finding a cure. The large cost motivates the government to find a cure.

Anyways, again though, please lets not go down politics road...I don't mind but some others seem to mind (and it sidetracks things).

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Yes, I wish that America would take up this belief with healthcare for example. I sometimes don't understand it, but I feel like it will sidetrack the thread...I would just say stay away from politics.

19. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Yes change is sometimes a good thing, but we need emotions to keep learning and growing. The neurons of our hearing, which in turn make up the auditory nerves that allow our brain to emotionally process information through the frequencies picked up by our hair cells, are what allow us to learn and experience life everyday. We hear ringing when our brains have lost input between the nerve fibers of the auditory nerve and the hair cells they were connected to. As the nerves retract back and eventually the spiral ganglion neurons retract back into the auditory system/limbic system of the brain, the ringing starts to disappear because of neuronal deaths. Unless Neurotrophic Factors are initiated in the brain, these neurons/brain cells which allow your brain to emotionally learn information from sounds, will be gone and replaced by outgoing nerve fibers as the brain's plasticity moves to the frontal lobe and your decisions and processing skills take place there instead of between the Pre-frontal cortex and the limbic system. As our brain changes to this new degree of functioning, it uses those new out-going nerve fibers to process sound logically, which is also why you may notice the amount of ringing has died down over the period time that has passed.

Our consciousness is only what our brain is. The senses it's stimulated by, how it's stimulated by those senses, and the memories it's established through neuronal growth are how we view life and how we process our surroundings.

20. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you mean work less through the functioning of mitochondria of cells or dna sequencing or do you mean the cognition of one's brain?

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Like Like x 1
    22. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What do you think is the cause of one's cognitively malfunctioning brain?

23. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Death of brain cells, DNA transcription errors, accumulation of toxins in cells, regular background radiation over time, environmental problems, drug exposure...

We simply are not built to last forever, and the effects of aging eventually impact all body systems.

• Like Like x 1