Some Tinnitus Sounds Must Be Impossible to Habituate to

Discussion in 'Support' started by Basshell, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had loud ringing tinnitus for 30 years. I have had loud high pitch static sound for 5 years. The latter did cause me real trauma for a month but I managed to habituate. Neither bother me day to day.

However, for the last 4 months I have had a loud droning vibrating heavy bass sound in one ear. I know for sure with all my years of tinnitus that I cannot ever live with this sound.

Everything I read that is it's in the reaction not the nature and loudness of the particular sound but there must be certain sounds they are do intrusive you cannot habituate to them? Thoughts, experiences?

I believe that this sound I am experiencing is not neutral enough to habituate to.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Perhaps you need to read more: it's actually one of the common hot debates, especially in here. Many people do believe that the nature & loudness of the sound plays a key factor in the ability to cope with it.

If you do a little search in here you'll find lots of posts related to that.

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm asking the question here

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Basshell

You are correct that for some people tinnitus can be so severe, that it is virtually impossible to habituate to. It is for this reason I advise people that have "noise induced" tinnitus not to use headphones even at low volume and be careful of being exposed to overly loud sounds. Some people do not know the impact on a person's mental and emotional wellbeing loud intrusive tinnitus can have when it is sustained over a long period of time. It can be seriously debilitating to the point where one can contemplate suicide. Tinnitus under these conditions is very serious.

My tinnitus is variable from: complete silence, mild, moderate, severe and can reach very severe levels of intensity. When it is severe or very severe and this last for more than 2 or 3 days, I need to take clonazepam to reduce it. It usually helps.

Michael

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes definitely, I have certain sounds that are loud, but of a certain quality that I don’t mind, and others that have a pitch that is painful. Combine a few pitches that are undesirable, plus make it loud and unmaskable (hearing loss) are you’ve got yourself a situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine is severe everyday. I am very suicidal these days. Unbearable. I was the one who has got a white noise wearable generator. What's crazy is that my problematic tinnitus is this low pitched pounding bass sound so I can't see how the white noise can do anything. What do you think?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wearing one white noise generator can still be helpful. Try to keep the volume low. Talk to your doctor about how you feel as you may be advised to try an antidepressant which can help lower stress and anxiety.

Michael

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I just don't see how it can be effective if it is so far removed from.rhe sound and physicality if the sound I'm suffering . Can it still help ? If you havevehave high pitch tinnitus but played a really low rumblimg sound you wouldn't expect that to be effective ... ( Reversing the theory)

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand your concerns and doubts but I want to tell you a few facts about tinnitus that you may or may not be aware of. Tinnitus and the ability to deal with it depends a lot on one's attitude towards it . If a person starts off having doubts about the efficacy of a treatment or has a negative mindset about it, they have convinced themselves that it won't work and it won't. Try to have an open mind and give the white noise generator a chance and use sound enrichment whenever you're not using it, especially at night. If you are able to get counselling with your hearing Therapist that would help too. Please click on the links below and read my posts.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Try brown noise, more energy in low frequency range, less in high.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes I do use brown noise already. Best thing I could find for this type of tinnitus. Shame the WNG doesn't use it but still.

12. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well you could always just buy a 40 dollar pair of wireless ear buds and run whatever noise you like, they have better sound and range than a 3k dollar set of WNGs

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      or even better you could buy me some.

• Funny Funny x 2
    14. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @Telis Can you share some links with brown noise. Thank you. :)

@Michael Leigh thank you for always giving some great advice. I am 7 years in.... at 4 years the low drone frequency started and it has been an uphill battle trying to habituate to that. I did 1 1/2 years of TCBT and now I started CBT again. I have these terrible headaches with severe pressure. Its hard to believe something like this can happened to people. To me. I have tried so hard to remain positive and hope that things will get better. I habituated once to loud hissing and hoping I can habituate to this drone soon enough.

@Basshell How are you feeling these days? Has the drone calm down a bit?? I had it bad back in Spring after I pulled my neck and shoulder and Flexeril helped with pain and lowering the drone back to base. Feel better soon.

Once...
      When I am at the end of my rope and I feel I cant take it anymore. I take it to the Lord.

15. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I have no idea what to suggest. I just know that mine for the past ten+ years is either crickets or a shrill teapot, both extremely loud. I cannot figure out after all this time what circumstances cause the worse, teapot, to be here one day vs. crickets. I am leaning toward stress vs. diet.

Tonight it is the teapot. I hope to awake to crickets.

16. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I knew from day one that I’m in a serious trouble and that this is not a very common sound of tinnitus.
      It’s actually so much more than sound:(

17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Telis are you any better? Has it settled down at all?

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Habituation is a really stupid word.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    19. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I’ve got the low droning in my right ear. Disturbing at first but like anything you can just get used to it over time

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. brownbear

brownbear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden sensorineural hearing loss ? cochlear hydrops
      @Telis. You doing any better? Hope so.