Someone Should Do This Kind of Research

Discussion in 'Support' started by RaZaH, Mar 30, 2014.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Why has no one done research with ONLY audio professionals ? (Maybe it has been done ?)

A lot of them have T and they are well versed in the audio profession, familiar with frequencies, super aware about their hearing, what changed exactly when they got hearing loss, very familiar with the masking concept and audio concepts in general. I wonder if this has been done?

This could possibly get rid of some of the "noise" when people not familiar with audio are giving explanations of their experiences. Also, this could possibly shed some light on a few of the mysteries , one of them being the "myth" that you can have T and no hearing loss which I personally do not prescribe to. They would certainly have an easier time pinpointing their T freq. Also a "log" of changes in T in time would be much more reliable.

It would be interesting to see if there was a difference in the data aquired from "normal" people :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have tinnitus and no measurable hearing loss even at super high frequencies. According to the ENT that last measured my hearing I have "hearing like a god damn wombat". I do believe I must have some kind of damage to the auditory system, or else I would not have tinnitus. Apparently they can't measure it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      BTA did research on that,you have hearing damage but on an AV wave scale or psychological scale.
      Just like me I can hear up to 18 000Hz but I have a mild case of Tinnitus and hyperacusis.
      Still hoping mine will bugger of seeing as how I have only had it for a month now.

4. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @Hudson
      I hear you. I did not have it before joining the military, was exposed to noise unlike most for 22 yrs, have slight and mild hearing loss, had slight T on release, did not know even what T was to say I had it, denied twice on claims thru Veteran Affairs, oh I did not mention I worked at home for 12 years after I got out, not as a construction worker or other occupation that they could use as an excuse to deny a claim, so where did it come from? All the other potential causes are not possible. They rely on an audiogram. You can have T without hearing loss, hearing loss with no T or guess what you can have both, like me and Veteran Affairs says well your hearing isn't bad enough to have caused T! So they can claim no relationship to service, no compensation and no medical support like hearing aids with maskers.

5. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      One of my theories on Tinnitus is its a form of brain damage brought on by instant or constant loud noise. A hard hit or many minor to moderate hits on the head sends shock waves through the skull and can cause T. Sound has a direct line to the brain and too much or an immediate loud noise shocks the brain in the same way one or many blows to the head can do.

6. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @JayM

Perhaps mine developed from pounding my head into the wall so many times from getting no help from health professionals!

7. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Here I am, 3 years late. :)

Were you suggested that research be done on individuals like myself who work in audio for a living? Because we'd be able to track real-time changes in our T and/or hearing?

Yeah, I have access to an acoustically treated room and all sorts of various equipment that will reproduce 20hz-20kHz easily. I know exactly in what shape my hearing is. I measure as "perfect" in the standard tests of up to 8kHz, but I have got a high frequency roll-off starting at around 14kHz and by 17kHz it's pretty much gone. But my personal T tone isn't that high, it's more in the 10kHz zone.

Sometimes when I am in the studio, if I get a fleeting T attack, I'll pull up a tone generator and match the tone just to see what it is. It always feels like it makes the fleeting T go away quicker too.