Sound Machines and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Nov 19, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Sound Machines

I have recently been asked about the benefits of using a sound machine after someone read my post on another thread, please find it below.

Sound Oasis makes the best sound machines in my opinion and they are specifically designed for people with tinnitus although anyone will benefit using one. The quality of their digital sounds will be far superior to any homemade sounds that you compile if your intention is to use them for sound enrichment.

A sound machine can be used night and day but do their magic best when we are in deep sleep also known as REM. It supplies the brain and auditory system with sound enrichment. Over time, the tinnitus is pushed further into the background making it less intrusive and will make the path to habituation easier.

I have three Oasis models. The S-650 is very popular and the one I usually recommend people buy. It comes with a variety of sounds on two sound cards. Additional cards can be purchased. The S-850 travel, is more expensive and compact. It has 18 on-board digital sounds and doesn’t use cards. Some people might be bothered by the clock’s blue backlight at night-time. It dims but cannot be turned completely off; the S650 backlight can be set to switch off automatically.

My S-3000 deluxe, was bought over the Internet but has been replaced by the S-5000. Both are similar but have different colours. Silver & black. These models are much larger and sophisticated than the others and can only be mains operated. They use a three-speaker system, that has a subwoofer for increased depth and definition to the sound. According to Oasis, over 140 on-board sound combinations are possible. They have FM/AM radio and an external sound source can be selected via the auxiliary input. There are a host of other features.

The purpose of using a sound machine is to have it playing in the background without drawing attention to itself unlike a radio. For this reason, music mustn’t be used at night for sound enrichment, as it will draw the Brain’s attention and delay habituation.

In my opinion and the advice of Professor Pawel Jastreboff, developer of TRT. Sound enrichment particularly at night should be used by anyone that has intrusive tinnitus. I would go as far to say, it is imperative to do so if you want to help yourself. Over time you will get used to having sound around you both during the day and night. I find it strange to be in a very quiet room now having used a sound machine for so long.

Michael

PS: Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to their T and stopped using sound enrichment at night, only to find their tinnitus becoming intrusive again. The rule of thumb: avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using a sound machine.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have been using sound enrichment at night lately. I have to admit, there is something different about the way my brain/ears feels after some hours of very quiet nature sounds while I sleep. I find that my T feels more like loud static when I wake up vs this high pitched drilling, mind you it reverts back to the god awful normal pitches after about 3o min upon waking.

Maybe I need to try this more, I was turned off masking as any of the colored noises made my T react. The very quiet nature sounds do feel pretty nice.

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      A sound machine takes time to get used to Telis. The quality of the sound machine is also important. I cannot stress enough that they do their magic when we are in deep sleep REM. Stick with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Michael Leigh @Telis
      I never used sound devices during sleep.
      Also my wife would not allow.
      I can sleep without sound. And I listen to sound all day, but giving my ears some rest in the night.
      Do you think sound in the night is really needed?

5. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Martin69,
      I thought the same, give my ears a rest. It appears to be the opposite. The lack of sound makes your hearing turn up it's sensitivity. Michael is very T experienced and will be able to explain better. Best wishes Phil

6. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You seem a bit confused about sleep stages.
      REM sleep is not a deep sleep state. The brain is very active during REM sleep.
      And all those sound machines seem pointless nowadays. There are tons of free apps for ios and android devices, not to mention some thousands of relevant videos on youtube. Just hook up your phone/tablet to a half-decent pair of speakers and you have 10 times the sound quality of any 'sound machine'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yeah I agree, a sound machine seems kind of like a thing of the past.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Everyone with tinnitus is entitled to do whatever they want. If they wish to sleep in a silent room without sound enrichment go ahead. If they want to listen to music through headphones then please go ahead. If they choose not to take any precautions when around loud sounds it’s entirely their choice, and when their T doesn’t improve or get worse then they only have themselves to blame.

There will always be people that want to challenge someone’s point of view in forums because that’s what they’re good at criticizing. Look carefully though, rarely do these people have any good advice or a suggestion to help someone due to their lack of experience on the subject and the inability to express themselves clearly and coherently through writing – at best they can just about manage a three line paragraph and their writing style leaves a lot to be desired. Yes, I’ve met many that use big words and a vocabulary that's clearly above their intellect in their vain attempt to come across as knowledgeable.

Such people continue to argue and every piece of advice a particular person gives they challenge it with questions like: where is the scientific evidence and medical research? Tinnitus comes in many forms and no two people experience it the same. What works for one person may not for another because we are all unique.

When I first had tinnitus twenty years ago I was in a terrible state, many people may not have this condition as serious as me for I was medically retired from employment due to it’s severity. Referring to a comment my Audiovestibular consultant once told me when I asked her to be candid about my condition: “You are the second worst patient that I have met with such severe tinnitus, but I will never give up on treating you”.

My advice is based on many years of personal experience and they are only suggestions. If someone is having a difficult time with their tinnitus and want to try some of them they might get some benefit.

Michael

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Martin69. Please read the book: TRT (Tinnitus Retraining Therapy) It is available from Amazon. Written by Professor Pawel Jasterboff and Johnathon Hazel. Jasterboff was the developer of TRT. In the book it explains all about the benefits of using sound enrichment at night. How it's important not to sleep in a quiet room. A sound machine can be attached to a pillow speaker for privacy.
      Michael

10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      If I didn't use a sound machine at night, I'd never sleep. I bought one the day after I recieved my little friend. I actually have three units throughout my home. I'd go insane, sitting in a quiet place for more than a minute!

Mine are simple Hometics units, $20, with battery backup and six nature sound settings. The "summer night" setting is the best for me. It has crickets sounds. Luckily, we have crickets, cicadas and tree frogs, year round here in rural Florida. I spend quite a few hours outside at night, decompressing. They are my, back to sanity angels.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Who are you refurring to? You write these negative posts directed at others because they are critical thinkers, have different opinions than you, or maybe just have questions? This is called a discussion, you seem like you want to be a preacher here, and not have discussions. You come off as dismissive and pretty arrogant.

Maybe if you listened to others, didn't get offended and start spewing out provocative posts as soon as someone suggests something different than you, you might actually learn something.

There are a lot of people (from what I have seen) here at TT that know a hell of lot more than you do, but for some reason you seem to think that you are THE authority on tinnitus, and that nothing that you say should be questioned.

Can't people ask questions or have a different opinion than you without you throwing out jabs? Are we not adults here that can throw ideas/opinions at each other? Maybe we can even disagree with one another without you throwing hissy fit?

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      We're all different, but snake oil doesn't actually work on anyone, and the only way to separate snake oil from things that have an actual physiological effect, is to do research. I am sorry if this is inconvenient for your pet theories, but the reason you will encounter skepticism if you peddle theories without evidence is that very little of human anatomy is well understood or intuitive, and research is the only thing that separates medicine from quackery.

Sound enrichment is clearly psychologically useful to a good number of people here, and I think it should be fine and reasonable to discuss it without resorting to controversial or questionable stuff like Jastreboff's theories.

• Winner Winner x 1