Sound Pillows?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Forever hopeful, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi,

I am a true side sleeper but have been sleeping on my back since I got T, as I can't stand the ringing when I put my ear to the pillow. Has anyone used a sound pillow? If so, do you like them? I wonder if they would keep you up with the sound so close to the ear? Trying to decide whether or not to make the investment or just get a sound machine.

Appreciate any feedback.

D.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Forever hopeful,
      The pillow with speaker is ok with one tiny speaker but carnt wash it.
      You can buy pillow speakers that can go inside the pillow case or under the pillow so can have one by each ear and are really strong and last years.
      The BTA ones are about 15 pound and well worth the money....lots of love glynis

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Just my experience, @Forever hopeful:

I have tried, and own, both pillow speakers and a sound pillow. I bought the speakers first. While they are ok, and I do use them traveling, I find it hard to orient them under a pillowcase. They keep slipping around and the sound is either too loud or too soft.

As far as my sound pillow: I LOVE it! I bought my model on recommendation of my audiologist. I told her I didn't think I needed it, as I already had the pillow speakers, but I was wrong. My pillow has two speakers inside. Sound is even, the pillow is very comfortable. The sound pillow people also will sell you a white noise machine to plug the pillow into, but you don't need it. Save yourself some money, get the TMSoft sound app on your smart phone (another great investment) and plug the pillow into that.

Over time, the speakers have come somewhat loose inside the pillow filling and shift around a little. I can push them back into alignment but probably will need a new pillow at some point. Still, I have slept on it almost every night from almost two years. I consider it $40 well spent.

Here is the model I purchased: www.soundpillow.com.

Sweet dreams!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Lady Di,

I assume you put a pillow case over it right? And that you can wash?

5. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Hi @Forever hopeful .
      I have exactly the same problem and question. Interested to read glynis and ladydi responses. Anyone else? We all have pillow preferences and i wonder with a bit of sewing whether we could add speakers to our existing pillows?

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi all: yes, I put a regular pillowcase over my SoundPillow. It has a long cord that extends out, for plugging in to whatever noise device you use. But you just let that cord come out from the open end of the pillow case.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. As always, this caveat: experience may vary by user.

7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Dave AUS: Yes, I guess you could try stitching some speakers in regards to pillows. My experience has been, however, that the speakers should be inside the pillow for it to be effective and comfortable.

8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I bought one in the beginning and it was a total piece of crap. The sound was terrible and the pillow itself was bad as well. I think there's a market for a flat, small GOOD QUALITY speaker that one can put inside their own pillow of choice. If somebody knows a good one, let me know.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sound wave ,
      The BTA do them for about 15 pound and very strong and worth every penny. ...lots of love glynis

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I used to use my iPad. I found an app to play sounds and I would place the iPad under my pillow or put in under the pillow next to me. It worked fine and the iPad battery lasts 10 hours. The newer iPads are small and pretty thin so you don't really feel them under your pillow. The nice thing about under your pillow (with any under pillow or pillow speaker device), it doesn't disturb the person next to you (if you are sharing the bed).

Later, I moved to a white noise sound machine plugged under my bed and that worked great. I used this one which was excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-DOHM-DS-Natural-actual-Machine/dp/B000KUHFGM.

I never used this one but the reviews look promising and it does 20 different white noise/fan sounds, has a timer and works in USA and international - http://www.amazon.com/LectroFan-Sound-White-Noise-Machine/dp/B00JU8P8VY/ref=pd_sim_121_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HVE91DHTQHWX3ANJ8D9&dpID=41U-6rE-I1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320,320_

11. Josef Mills

Josef Mills Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1997
      I have two gadgets. One is a kind that cuts out the light, and has two small speakers built in to place over you ears. It has preset sounds like waves, wind, babbling brook etc. Press the button, select which sound and volume. Listen away, it turns it self off after about an hour. I also have a head band that doubles as a sleeping blind. It also has the two small speakers built in to place over the ears, but this is a plug in version. For iPhone etc. the first one I found on a charity shop, the second one I found in EBay. But sound pillow is good too, just no as portable

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Like Glynis I also use the BTA pillow speakers. They come as a pair. They have lasted a long time and have adjustable volume control. I put one either side of the pillow and so if you turn left or right you still hear it. One spillow speaker on its own is pretty useless. I listen to an hypnosis CD.

• Like Like x 1
    13. ChiefSteve

ChiefSteve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I want to try this for myself. Where did you buy one for $40? The cheapest that I have found online after a while of searching is $149.00 at http://audiologysupplies.com/tinnitus-treatment-sound-pillow-sleep-system/ Am I looking for the right thing?

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The one you linked to includes a proprietary MP3 player with some nature masking tracks.

Here's the $40 version:
      http://www.soundpillow.com/product/6-new-sound-pillow-w-volume-control-atamilitary/

That price is for ATA (American Tinnitus Association) members or military people.

It's $10 more for others:
      http://www.soundpillow.com/product/5-new-sound-pillow-with-in-line-volume-control/

If you already have a phone / mp3 / audio player or such you don't need the more expensive version, since you can just connect your own player to the pillow.

Note that I don't have experience with this product but @LadyDi's experience seems very encouraging!

15. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does the sound pillow help with loud tinnitus?