Sound Reduction Theory... Does It Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blue28, May 19, 2017.

1. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      So I'm wondering if reducing sound input to your brain (ie by using earplugs) over a long period of time can help reduce tinnitus when there's associated hearing loss? My theory is that if we protect our ears from sounds and therefore reduce input or brains will get used to this new input level and no longer search for the lost hearing once we remove the ear plugs as there will be an increase in sound/input, thus stopping tinnitus signal. I ask this as my tinnitus is quieter the day after using earplugs all day. It screams, of course, the whole time I have plugs in and for a few hours after too.

Also I found this in another thread...
      Interesting. Hearing loss that does cause tinnitus is reversible? The hearing loss or the tinnitus?Not sure about the 48hrs part though.

What do people think about all this?

2. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I go back and forth on that theory as well. It's really hard to say. I do know Mountain Creek is big on silence, he's mentioned it numerous times. It seems plausible that our ears in this "sensitized" state are continuously reacting to sounds that we would consider low. Or, it's just a recipe for hyperacusis... BTW, isn't a day 24 hours? :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Who is that?

Several months ago, I tried wearing earplugs 24 hours a day. My theory was that this way I would not be shocked by T, every time I would go to sleep. I was trying to habituate sooner. At about the same time, I began HBOT treatments. During these treatments, they look into your ears before each session. The doctor discovered that I was developing an irritation on my ear drum. It is likely that earplugs create an environment inside of the ear where bacteria can multiply. In any case, you may want to keep this in mind. As a result of this irritation, I stopped wearing earplugs all of the time. I still tried to protect my ears from loud sounds.

You may want to take out the earplugs once an hour, or try not wearing earplugs at night.

If Sound Reduction works for you, please let us know!!!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would also recommend shooting range muffs instead of ear plugs. They are much more comfortable and do not amplify the T sound as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are these muffs similar to Peltor muffs (31 dB)? What is their NRR? In my experience, Peltor muffs are not as comfortable as ear plugs...

6. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Wearing an ear plug all day just makes the obsession with tinnitus get worst...I'll pass

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      the studies on rats have shown that hair cells need some stimulation to get better after trauma

total silence is not the answer

the body does not like extremes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes...that's why I said I wasn't sure what the person meant with 48hrs...

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I read the studies on rats too. I'm still on the fence about all this. Plugs/muffs don't totally block out everyday sounds, but they do make my tinnitus much louder when wearing them. My tinnitus is very loud though, it resonates in my whole head.

Didn't someone on TT wear plugs for 3 years or something and their tinnitus went away?

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Blue28
      Reducing external sound to the auditory system in brain in the manner that you suggest, I believe could make the auditory system more sensitive to sound causing hypersensitivity or hyperacusis. Not a good idea in my opinion. However, if external sound is too loud then appropriate earplugs should be worn but only temporary and shouldn't be used to suppress normal everyday sounds. If a person is finding normal everyday sounds is causing sensitivity to their ears and auditory system, (hyperaucusis) this needs treatment and there are ways to do this. My link below might be helpful.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh I agree with some of the things you've said, and I only use ear plugs when necessary (long journey in car etc), but I noticed that the day after having plugs in my tinnitus was quieter.

I have hyperacusis and it seemed to be improving on it's own, just by being sensible and listening to gentle nature sounds at night. However, every time I am exposed to any remotely loud noise (my daughter crying, for example), my hyperacusis is reset and I feel I have to start again. I also get a lot of fullness and pain in my ears.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Blue28
      If you are managing your tinnitus alright, I think you should consider using white noise generators if funds allow. That way, you can adjust them to supply low level white noise to your ears and auditory system constantly up to 8 to 10hrs a day. This will desensitize your auditory system and cure your hyperacusis and treat your tinnitus at the same time.
      Normally this therapy is part of TRT and a person should be under the care of a hearing therapist. However, as I said, if you are managing to cope with your tinnitus (not being overly stressed by it) white noise generators is the best solution for treating hyperacusis and tinnitus, when caused by acoustic/noise trauma. Please read my post below: Hyperaucusis, As I see it. White noise generators are expensive but worth it.

It's your choice
      All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried WNGs last year for 2 months. At first they were ok, but after about 6-8 wks my ears became more sensitive to noise so I stopped using them. I'm not sure what the answer is, I have very intrusive tinnitus, which seems to be getting worse.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Blue28
      Your experience with white noise generators seems very strange and unsual. My tinnitus and hyperacusis was so severe when people spoke to me my ears hurt however that was 20 years ago now the hypercusis has been cured with WNG.

When you wear the WNGs did slowly build up the wearing time and keep the volume below your tinnitus? Try wearing the WNGs for 2hrs then take them off for 2hrs. Slowly build up the wearing time over 1 month or so. It is important not to mask your tinnitus so that it can't be heard. Some poeple constantly adjust the WNGs, when they are out on the street for example as they can't hear them becuase of traffic noise. Try not to do this. Once the level is set leave them alone.

If you build up the wearing time very slowly and keep the volume of the white noise generators below the tinnitus you should be alright. Remember, sometimes things have to get a little worse in order to get better. I don't think you should have stopped wearing them. A sound machine should be used at night too. This is where counselling which is the 2nd part of TRT would have helped and is very important.

In any case I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.
      Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your advice @Michael Leigh, I'll consider it. I do use white noise at night, nature sounds etc.

Tbh I'm terrified that noise (normal, everyday noise) is having a detrimental effect on my hearing. I had an audiogram and it's slightly worse than a year ago (-10db or so across several frequencies). I don't know what to do for the best. My ears feel constantly full with pressure.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've seen a number of sources state that masking noise at night shouldn't hurt one's ears. I am still very worried that it might have a detrimental effect...

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I usually listen to gentle wave noises or running water, I programme it for 1-2 hours, enough time to get to sleep. Then it's silence, well tinnitus silence.

I have tried to listen to the sounds all night but find my tinnitus is worse when I wake up.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I tried programming my sound machine to turn off in an hour. But then I noticed that I would wake up about every hour. I suspect that somehow I would wake up every time it shuts off. I will experiment having it on the whole night long...

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Bauer I also wake up. I take gabapentin before going to bed, if I don't take it I wake up around 3am. If I take it I can usually sleep until 5-6am.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I remember considering taking gabapentin. I even have a prescription for it from my doctor. Did it help at all with your tinnitus?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would say it helps a little. The odd time I have forgotten to take it at night I ALWAYS wake up during the night or very early. I've tried this again since and proved my point.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      One of the worst things for someone that has intrusive tinnitus is to sleep in a quiet room. I have written many posts about this, in my started Threads. when using a sound machine at night the tinnitus must not be MASKED The sound must be kept lower than the tinnitus and it should be set to play all night until morning. If the brain hears silence in the night it will make the tinnitus more intrusive during the day.
      Michael

24. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Here is a hint - our ears were designed to sustain the noise levels of 10,000 years ago.

Which means no portable players, night clubs, concerts or firearms but also no soundprooof bedrooms.

Our ears were designed for some level of constant natural sound like birds or whatever was around outside back then .

Some level of constant sound all night long should be fine as long as it's about what you could experience in nature.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Couldn't agree more @Bobby B

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you, @Michael Leigh . Your other threads are very informative. I am thankful for a lot of information in your posts, including a mention of Sound Oasis products. Back when I was looking for a sound machine, I was trying to see whether there were any more expensive varieties. Somehow I never found any Sound Oasis products on Amazon. I will seriously consider getting one of these machines, as I am not completely satisfied with my current model.

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Bill Bauer I feel confident that you will benefit from using a sound oasis sound machine at night and recommend the S-650. If you want the best then buy the S-5000. Many people do not realize the benefit of using sound enrichment at night and are quick to say they can't sleep in a quiet room and are not prepared to give it a chance or even try. When the tinnitus was caused by "noise exposure" and hyperacusis is present. If no sound enrichment at night is used, sensitivity to sound "will always remain a problem" if the condition doesn't cure itself naturally. In most cases the tinnitus will remain intrusive.

Although sound enrichment treats the auditory system at night, it mostly works on the brain's "auditory gateways" that have opened up due to the noise trauma that has created hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound). Using sound enrichment, over time helps to close (desensitize) these auditory gateways treating the hypersensitivity. It must be stressed this process happens while we are asleep, therefore we are totally unaware what is happening. One must give this treatment time to work and to get used to going off to sleep with sound enrichment setting the volume low. It is advisable to use nature sounds and not music, as music draws "attention to itself" and isn't the best source to use at night.

The answer to treating hyperacusis and tinnitus caused by noise trauma, isn't to use: earplugs, earmuffs and noise cancelling headphones. This treats the symptom and doesn't treat the main cause and therefore, hyperacusis and tinnitus will always remain a problem, as mentioned in my article: Hyperacusis, As I see it; where an individual chose to disable the Air bag on a car that he had purchased. I will not be getting into the debate about that particular issue again as it rumbled on endlessly last time and got nowhere. People will do what they want to do regardless. I am mentioning this to anyone that suffered noise trauma and ended up with hyperacusis and tinnitus and wants to try and treat it. The best treatment for this in my opinion, is TRT. However, it is expensive and many people are unable to afford it so, all they can do is to try and help themselves if they want to.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh thank you for your informative response, I read it with interest. I tried WNG, as I mentioned but it was not with a TRT support, and I felt they weren't helping (they were on a loan basis so I no longer have them to use). I do not have the means to pay for TRT, and it's not offered anywhere near where I live, so I have been listening to nature sounds on an app on my phone for the past year. I do however have the app turn off after 90 minutes as it drains the battery on my phone and I don't want to leave my phone plugged in all night (risk of fire from charger). I am interested to know more about the sound machine you mentioned, and wondered where it can be purchased. I have looked on Amazon, but all the models I see seem fairly basic. Maybe I'm wrong?

29. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      I take gabapentin also and find it's a good sleep aid. It also lowers anxiety for me upon waking.

• Like Like x 1