SoundCure Serenade Tinnitus Treatment System

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tha_b_man, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Scott

Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Did the Soundcure Serenadetherapy work for you?

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Scott, I'm in the process of testing the device right now. There was a delay in getting the device for testing, because my audiologist only had one. Now, I think she has two! That's how new it is.

So far, it is just OK for me. I have both ringing and pulsating, and it does not really cancel either out. It provides a bit of relief when my tinnitus is at its worst (like right now!), and for some people, it may have a residual effect. But not for me, so far.

Soundcure Serenade is a device that is programmed (through testing by the audiologist) with two "S-tones" that are close to that of your tinnitus. There are two more tones on the device; one is pink noise, one is white noise. It is simple to operate, and provides a continuous sound that you can listen to at any time of day or night.

For some people, the effect (so I'm told) is immediate. Not so for me! I'll update again at the end of my trial. Thanks for asking!

3. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      I just heard about sound cure today ! Please can you tell me anything about it ? I'm at the end of a short rope . Can you email me at mikebrakebill@live.com please !!!!!!!!!!

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mike -- I responded to your message about Soundcure. :)

5. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      It didn't work fork me, it only works for people with Tonal Tinnitus upto 10khz. Mines high pitched around 12 k so perhaps second generation machine might do it but then again how do you get a frequency over 10k past the ear canal ?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Joe, Mine is high-pitched, too, so that's probably why it didn't work for me, either. How long has Soundcure been available in the UK? It looks like they are really aggressively marketing it everywhere now.

I hope there is a second-generation update to this device; will be interested to hear how/if it works differently!

7. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      To all,

The Veterans Administration called me today and said they wanted me to come in and try the Serenade Sound Therapy. This is something they are working with Veterans for Tinnitus. It has trickled down to the VA in Middletown Ohio. So they have someone coming in and I will be the first one in the area they will try this on. From what I have read it has been around for a while. I am just putting this out here to see if anyone’s ever used this and if it did anything for them. If anyone wants to comment please do.

I have put some information about it below.

Tinnitus Sufferers Hoping Serenade Sound Therapy Can Relieve Ear Ringing

By Larry Greenemeier | June 15, 2012| 11

Tinnitus, a condition that causes people to hear sounds such as ringing in the ears even when all is quiet, afflicts at least 10 percent of American adults. Although there’s nothing doctors can do to alleviate this discomfort permanently, new approaches to treating the problem are in the works. One of the latest is a sound-therapy device designed to produce unique tones that distract the wearer’s brain from more irritating sounds. The SoundCure Serenade Tinnitus Treatment System has received a hearty endorsement from the American Tinnitus Association (ATA), which invested $138,000 in the technology’s development and this weekend is hosting a fundraiser in Portland, Ore., to raise additional money for tinnitus research.

SoundCure, a Silicon Valley startup, made the Serenade system available this past March. It is a handheld device with headphones that produces low-frequency modulated sounds the company claims provide more relief than the standard treatment—unmodulated tones or high-pitch white noise. The tones are customized for each patient based on that person’s specific level of tinnitus, although the reprieve is temporary, experienced only when the Serenade is in use.

Reports of tinnitus are rising because of widespread use of personal entertainment and communication devices, particularly in children, according to researchers at the University of California at Irvine’s Hearing Research Center, where Serenade was first developed. In a paper published online in April by the Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, the researchers, who describe tinnitus as a “brain disorder,” said their device was most effective when the volume was set at a level just softer than the sounds produced by tinnitus (pdf). Tinnitus is also the most common disability among Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Other approaches are attempting to provide more permanent relief. With help from the U.S. Department of Defense, Draper Laboratory in Cambridge, Mass., is fleshing out a concept for a small delivery device inserted near the membrane-covered window—no more than three millimeters in diameter—separating the middle ear from the inner ear. Once at the membrane the device (essentially a polymer capsule, although Draper is not developing any of medicines that might be placed inside) would release a drug into the cochlea, the tubular organ residing in the inner ear that enables us to hear. The plan is to embed wireless communications into the capsule so that a patient or doctor can control the dosage. After the capsule finishes delivering its supply of drugs, it would dissolve.

Portland’s 2012 Jack Vernon Walk to Silence Tinnitus is being held June 16 with ATA contributing twice the amount of each donation of $25 or more to tinnitus research.

Serenade image courtesy of SoundCure, an Allied Minds company

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Mike,

I did use the Serenade device for about 3 weeks, on a free trial basis. Since I have both pulsating and ringing tinnitus, it didn't really help me that much. It did make things easier in the evenings, however, when my tinnitus was at its worst. I used it to help keep myself calmer when my tinnitus was loudest, and when I was watching TV. As Karl noted, something about the sound emitted by television overexcites the neurons associated with tinnitus. At least, that's how it is for me. And the device did help some during those times.

I decided not to purchase the device because I didn't feel it had helped me enough to warrant the cost ($1,500.00). However, everyone is different!

As a veteran, you may be able to purchase the Serenade at a reduced price. If so, it would probably be worth it for you to at least give it a try. If you do try it, would you please post a follow up with your comments about how it worked for you? Thanks for starting this thread!

9. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Mike,

If you have a chance to try the Serenade device, go for it definitely. I have read about this device before and it looked very promising. I hope it works for you.

Fish

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I also briefly tried it however, it works best with tonal tinnitus which I do not have.....I hope it works for you also.

11. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      I am going to try it on the 20th of Nov. tuesday. I have tried everything else and I think it is worth a shot. I Dont think it is going to cost me anything. So that is one good thing. My honest thoughts on it is that it is just a Ipod with different sounds and its not going to make a different,but I hope I am wrong. I will keep eveyone posted. There will be one day when someone comes up with something that puts this noise to an end. I just hope it is sooner and not later for everyone.

12. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      I have been using the serenade for 9days 3/5 hours a day . Sorry no help but its still early .....

13. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      I've been using the sound cure serenade for 11 days and have not had any success , is there ANYONE out there that has used this ? I'm surprised that this seems to be getting little attention because its the only treatment approved by the FDA and its been out now for 8 months . It has a 30 return policy so I'm curious as to why the lack of interest . Thanks everyone .

14. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, there are a few on here like Karen who used it for a short time. She can better give her experience with it.

I tested it out initially but decided that the 30 day trial was not long enough to fully evaluate it or expect results. I think with Soundcure, Neuromonics, Notch Therapy, you have to give it some time to see results-months and unfortunately, they only give you 1 month to evaluate it. The brain is plastic and changes, if they are going to happen with these therapies, are going to take a while to occur.

Personally, I am not a big fan of sound therapies such as this. Neuromonics which is similar to SoundCure has been around for years and if it worked so well, I think more people would be using it and you would see many more reports of successes outside of their study results. Also, if these devices were so good, why do they price them out the reach of so many? You can't tell me it's because of years of research and development. The iphone 5 deconstructed costs $167.00 to build with much higher quality parts. There was a lot of technology R&D that went into the development of it. Even with out a contract the new Iphone is $650. So why are these tinnitus sound devices $3, 4, 5K?

If you are using it, I would give it the full 30 days before making a decision on it. I have talked to a few people who got good results from similar devices and some that got no results. If you have single tone tinnitus that doesn't fluctuate, you will probably have the best chance of improvement using this. It's like everything else out there to treat tinnitus. Certain treatments work for some but not for others. Too many tinnitus variables.....different types of tinnitus, origins, causes and therefore you need multiple types of treatments. Since we are all different, you have to try different things....who knows this may work great for you in the end.

15. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      I'm just amazed that there's almost nobody that's used this and it's approved by the FDA , I've tried endless Internet searches but get almost nothing !!! This device has been around plenty long enough to have more than the one person I've talked to be using it !!!! Thanks for your response .

16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Soundcure is still relatively new. It has only been available in my area for around 4 months.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mike --- Do you have any update for us on how the SoundCure Serenade is working for you? Any changes or improvement?

18. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      Another week down and no results , I called my doctor so I could talk to other patients and she said yes but that was 4 days ago and nothing yet . I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this . How can we confirm that this device really is approved by the FDA ???? Anybody ?????

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mike, the American Tinnitus Association might be able to shed some light on this. In the ATA newsletter (link below), it says that Soundcure Serenade has "FDA clearance". I wonder if that is the same thing as "FDA approval"? The ATA apparently provided a grant to Soundcure to develop this device, so they have been positively supporting it.

http://www.ata.org/news-pubs

Does anyone know if "FDA clearance" and "FDA approval" are the same thing?

20. mike brakebill

mike brakebill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2010
      I went to the FDA website and in a nutshell it says that this is a masking device equivalent to neurominics . Go to there site and search sound cure tinnitus and its all there in the official report . More of the same . Sorry .

21. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hmm! Thanks for this information.

I didn't have much luck with Soundcure, either, and I was hoping that you, or someone else here, would say that it worked for them!

Soundcure was quite new when I had my 30-day free trial. The audiologist only had 1 device for awhile, then got another one. The other patient who tried it actually purchased it. It apparently helped him, or at least he thought it would.

I hope it is working for someone out there!

22. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I didnt want to say but I've had one of these for a week now.

It was tuned in via the software and when I HAVE IT IN it sort of cancels out the T noise.

When I take it out I think the T is softer but I'm not sure about this.

I am still really unclear as to whether this is supposed to be a short-term relief thing or whether if you keep on using it its supposed to reorganise the neurons to give long-term relief.

I have 2 weeks left on the trial to decide whether to return it for my money back (minus £200).

If I had loads of money I would keep it as it is good for cancelling the noise when you put it in. But for a long-term 'cure', when its all the money you have, not sure.

23. Don H

Don H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Mike, are you still using the Soundcure ? Any updates?

24. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I also tried SoundCure and was not impressed. I'm somewhat pissed off about how some products with slick advertising budgets are being touted.

I am also puzzled with the buzz about Microtransponder. This thing works on the vagus nerve. I can see how a device such as this may be effective for pain. However, I can't see how the vagus nerve has anything to do with the auditory system. Microtransponder seems to be a "product looking for a condition", tinnitus being one of several potential markets.

The ATA is desperate to make progress and find a cure. Recently I got an email from them, asking me for more money, saying that there have been so many great advancement like the above. I will pledge again, but I don't consider these two therapies "great advancements".

It's almost like we're living at a time when men were attempting to fly. Some of those early flight pioneers built crazy looking contraptions, looking like birds and bats. At that time somebody must have said, "What great progress we're making! Look at these great looking bird-like and bat-like contraptions! We're gonna fly soon! One of these damn things has gotta fly! It's in our business plan! This is the year!"

What we need are the "Wright Brothers of Tinnitus", who can invent a 100% effective cure for tinnitus.

25. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Mike, I've had the Soundcure for 4 weeks and have another 1 week to make up my mind. My T changed since I got it and now I done get the suppression I did in the first 2 weeks. I've also realised I cant pitch match my T. There seems to be too many pitches and sliding up and down of the sound along with general background noise. I think having a stable tone is important for devices like these as they 'notch' the sound at the pitch you match. I still like the way I get (partial) masking in the ear with it but 2k is too expensive just for that when there must be other in ear maskers around.

26. paul806

paul806 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december 2012
      can anyone comment on the effectiveness of ATA approved soundcure device?

27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tested it for about 3 1/2 weeks, and it didn't really work for me. It seems to work best for those who have single-tone tinnitus, from what I've heard.

Are you considering testing the device?

28. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      I have used it for 2 months off and on it really did not make much of a difference. It may have Changed my tone to a more constant noise. Not much. I will be keeping mine. I got it through the VA. At this point I do not think it is worth it.
      I will keep using it when I can. If it really did something that help the noise. I would use it 24/7. But so far no big difference. I will keep everyone posted of any changes if any.

29. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hello,
      I am trying it now along with Gabapentin +Klonopin. I just joined this support group today. The audiologist I am seeing wants me to use it more and decide if I want to purchase it. Inconclusive at this point. I had tinnitus to varying degrees from 2008. This is my first use of sound therapy. T is very hard to take. Could I ask how you acquired your T if you know?

hiss1

30. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Hiss1,

Are you just starting with Gabapentin and Klonopin at the same time as the Soundcure? Or have you already been taking the drugs before?

I'd be really interested in what the Gabapentin does for T.