Still No Sleep Even on 2 Sleeping Tablets :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by SusanGee, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Took 2 sleeping tablets and even though yes I felt sleepy all night, the noise was a screaming so much in my head, it just wouldn't let me sleep.
      I'm at a loss right now. Dark days ahead !:(-

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      what kind of sleeping tablets?

3. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      try melatonin

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Download an app like relax Melodies or Simply rain and use some kind of background sound at night, just on low volume so your brain tunes in to something else than your T. Takes some practice to sleep with it but it really makes a difference when you get used to it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've got this thanks. But over the last few days my ears have become hypersensitive to any noise and the shower noise etc that had been soothing now just makes it worse and spikes all over my head :( feel at a loss

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. Had that during my first 2-3 months as well, it faded over time

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      i don't think I can bear another day/night of this. There is just no relief from it

• Genius Genius x 1
    8. One year ago i thought the same, time does a lot of work i can assure you. Don´t panic about it even if it´s hard.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Zopiclone 3.75 mg

10. They should give you at least 4-5 hours if you take 2

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Nope. Didn't get any at all. Felt sleepy all night but the noise at the top of my head was just blaring (and still is!) and I couldn't sleep past it.

12. I was on them at my onset of T and they knocked me out for 4 hours at least. Try a brisk walk for 45 mins or even better some exercise in the evening, that´s probably the best way to calm down a bit

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've been getting out for a walk every day for an hour or so and I'm so so tired but the noise just won't let me sleep.

14. Could be the anxiety that keeps you awake more than the actual noise. During my first 2-3 months i was a complete wreck, slept on average 2-4 hours a night. The human body can stand much more than you think. The worst thing you can do atm is to stress about your state. If i could do everyting all over again from my onset, i wish i had calmed down a bit. Not easy to do when the body screams at you i know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      For me the sounds that you play need to be high quality. They lose the whole frequency depending on what equipment you use. How are you playing these apps, is it through a speaker or earphones, what sort of equipment?

I have a lot of sounds and can make more. There is bound to be something that helps, just a matter of getting the frequencies right

The attached is something I just did for Markku. He was having trouble with noise tracks so I made this and it seems to help, give it a try at low volume and gradually increase to make sure it doesn't make you worse - we're all different with what noise is reactive to us so always best to be careful.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Yeah, the ability to sleep will return with time.

In my first few months with T I struggled a lot with sleep. I used Zopiclone, Diphenhydramine then Melatonin and nothing worked to get me a full nights sleep.

Now I sleep 8-9 hours a night without fail taking nothing. It's the anxiety that keeps you awake, not the actual tinnitus. Once you calm down you'll find that sleep will return.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Just playing through my iPhone laid at the side of me on the bed. It used to help in the first week but in week 2 it just made the noise worse.

Scared to take anymore sleeping tablets now cause I've just had a massive shaking fit for over an hour and very dark thoughts. So scared right now

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      B
      I really do try to breath through it and calm down but the noise is just SO LOUD. At a loss what to do.

19. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Hi sue,I used zoplicone made my t much worse I wouldn't recommend them at all.
      Give mitrazapine a try.

• Like Like x 1
    20. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Not much you can do.
      Give it (lots of) time, as everyone has told you it will get better.
      And do keep in mind that zopiclone (as all the rest of the 'Z' drugs) is only good for initiating sleep (not always though) but it won't keep you asleep for 8 hours.

There are other options:
      Clonazepam is a good sleeping aid. It has a long half-life therefore it is better at maintaining sleep. However it is a benzo.
      Amitriptyline is a pretty 'innocent' AD that has helped a lot of people with sleep since it is effective at a low dose.
      Remeron (another AD) has a good track record of not being ototoxic (mostly from anecdotal evidence) and it is effective for sleep at a very low dose (3.5mg - 7mg).

• Like Like x 1
    21. Aziz Khan

Aziz Khan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      This is so strange you need to be with your loved ones.try to be around people all the time. This is stress not noises I mean stress is what is causing you not to sleep not noise ... imagine we humans can sleep in a plane easily .. control your stress level don't think ne around positiv people only

• Like Like x 1
    22. Aziz Khan

Aziz Khan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      stress is the cause believe me .. you can contact me on whatsapp I had similar experiences ..recently I'm over it its horrible .. i know you'll get thro it . my contact 0097150 4660855 . I believe with support we will all get thro this

23. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The speaker is not good at all, you aren't getting anywhere near the full range of frequencies from the sounds you're playing.

Listening to masking tracks to take your thoughts away from it is a band-aid but can be so helpful in giving you moments of respite.

Do you have anything you can play the sound through, a hifi, some speakers? There are pillow speakers that may be useful for you, also sleep-phones (until it gets warm then I imagine they are too hot).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I was at my worst with anxiety / T, none of the drugs really worked at all, and caused problems.

What worked for me, was working with a compassionate dr who was very opposed to those drugs, would not give me any, and basically forced me to relearn to sleep.

Over a period of weeks he convinced me that not sleeping wasn't threatening or dangerous, and I got to a point where I could calmly lie in bed, and even if I couldn't sleep, I would tell myself "I am safe, I am warm, I am comfortable, and my body is taking care of itself and getting at least the minimum rest that it needs".

As a result of all of that, I can now reliably fall asleep without a fan and without pills -- something that I was never able to do in the past, even before I had tinnitus.

This thread on a benzo board was super helpful to me: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=78924.0

• Like Like x 2
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another thing to keep in mind: if you're not sleeping then your mood and tinnitus are much worse than they would be otherwise.

The way you feel is temporary. This will not go on forever. Your sleep will improve, your perception of your T will improve, and life will go on. All the crazy anxiety that you're feeling as you try to go about your day, is temporary and not "real".

• Like Like x 2
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks all. I'm in a&e right now. Husband called an ambulance after I I had the biggest shaking attack for over an hour. I don't know if it's panic attack or the sleeping tablets but I'm a pretty bad state at the minute. I really hope I can build the strength that u good people have

27. @SusanGee I am in the same shape as you with no sleep. I don't think it is anxiety causing me not to sleep. It is definitely the noise. It is like having an alarm clock in my head. Most sleeping meds made it worse. Not sleeping for long periods of time can be very bad for the body, so I understand your feelings. My husband reads bedtime stories to me at night, and my head on his chest helps drown out the noise. We usually get about three hours of sleep and then we wake up and do it again. I take melatonin before bed, but drugs like Mirtazapine only made it worse for me. I also use a sound generator , but my increased H has made the usual sounds that I listened to unbearable, so I have been playing around with different frequencies. I look forward to listening to what @Steve has to recommend.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. @Steve I couldn't get your attachment to play. Any suggestions?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It is def
      it is the noise with me also. I do try to stay calm at bedtime. But the noise just bellows. I'm not handling any of this well at all

30. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to hear that Susan. You can break through this, although it seems impossible to you now. The panic is something that does happen, it is really not that hard to put yourself into a state like this, could very well be linked to the sleeping tablets. I don't know the type you have but I can say that I was taking Stillnox many years ago and they seriously screwed with my nervous system, bit like a benzo withdrawal.

@svintegrity I'll upload it to YouTube in a bit and post a link. The best thing with the H is to find which sounds are irritating you so that you can find some tones or recordings that are more pleasing to the ear.

• Like Like x 1