Still No Sleep Even on 2 Sleeping Tablets :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by SusanGee, Mar 12, 2015.

1. @Telis It is the same for me, as far as sheer suffering over the past 14 months, but the noise is too loud for me to sleep at night. When I do get to sleep the noise wakes me up again, and again. I even run 4 miles in the morning followed by 45 minutes of Yoga, and I still don't reach exhaustion by the end of the day. I am also debilitated by this T and H, and I have had to go to 1/4 time at work. It is difficult going from being a productive person to not being able to process a thought. I understand. Days are long and punishing, and so are the nights. I look forward to bedtime, so that I can get my bedtime story, which puts me to sleep. But the noise still wakes me up a few hours later. I never thought I would envy a person's exhaustion, but I do. Thanks for sharing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well if you can work at all that's a good thing. I can barely hadle the sound of a lightswitch so remain pretty isolated. I don't know why you would want exhaustion on top of this crap, it doesn't mean I can sleep 20 hours a day and that I am relaxed, it just means I'm more impared during waking hours.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @svintegrity , we are definitely in the same sinking boat together with @Telis , @Vincent R and a few others!

It feels like I'm looking in a mirror. Only in my dreams I can escape this nightmare. But then again sleep eludes me. (which reminds me of a scene in The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon says the very same sentence, 'Sleep eludes me, Leonard.' and Leonard answers, 'Really? Maybe sleep has met you before.') I used to enjoy watching this show or reading books. Now.. thought processing is freaking hard. Gosh, I so need a break! Is there really no way to break this thing? I wish there was a button for REM sleep. Or an off button. Or an reset button. Something..

4. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      That's so cute, bedtime story, it makes me cry 'cause it reminds me of my childhood. I feel your pain @svintegrity . Thank you for sharing. ~hug

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. @Telis I meant no offense. I apologize if I caused any. I can barely work myself, as well. I am only trying to keep from losing a job for which I worked very hard, thus working as few of hours as possible without losing it. I can't be in the same room as someone opening the mail or crumpling paper. I stay pretty much isolated throughout the days too. I do understand. Again, my apologies, no offense was intended.

@NiNyu If you find the on/off or reset button, please let me know.

6. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Same situation when my tinnitus started. Lost 25lbs without even trying. Got down to 140lbs. I remember telling people I was nothing but a walking zombie. Amitriptyline(only needed a low dose)turned it around with the first pill. Hope this helps.

7. @labrat10687 How long did you take Amitryptiline? I lost 20 pounds, but I've gained back 4, because my husband forces me to eat. Down to a size 2, but happy to be climbing back up.

8. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      You are early in, you will get there. if your T is as bad as you say it is, your body will shut down eventually and look for that escape. It took me about 8 months. If your T isn't that bad and you don't notice it during the day as much, it might take you longer.

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      No offense taken at all. Thx. Hope you get some well deserved zzzz's soon.

10. @NiNyu Any sleep for you yet? I was able to get 5 hours, but it took my husband reading 4 chapters of Winnie the Pooh throughout the night bHave you tried books on tape? Might have a similar effect. Just a thought.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      they created dependence and longer-term audio/visual problems including more tinnitus

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clonazepam and diazepam mostly, but it doesn't matter. They all do the same things (though clonazepam is a GABAb agonist in addition to GABAa, which may explain why it muted my tinnitus more effectively than the others).

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Agreed. I know that it is recommended using diazepam to taper off of clonazepam, did you do that?

14. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Clonazepam and diazepam mostly, but it doesn't matter. They all do the same things (though clonazepam is a GABAb agonist in addition to GABAa, which may explain why it muted my tinnitus more effectively than the others).

Just curious, @linearb: What was your dosage? And how long were you on benzos?
      I do agree with you that these are serious medications. And I think doctors (especially general physicians, who do prescribe these drugs) often don't explain the risks and precautions to their patients, as they should.

15. @LadyDi I totally agree with you. Risks and precautions are not adequately explained about drugs by GPs or even internists. Often PAs even prescribe these medications. I was prescribed two meds. that have a serious interaction by a PA. Forgunately, I never take a drug without researching it first and didn't take them. I have the same question for @linearb about dosage and length of time on the benzos. LadyDi, you mentioned taking benzos at first too. What was your drug, dosage, and duration?

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @svintegrity: I took Xanax (alprazolam). It is good for panic, as it works quickly. It does have a short half-life, though, so people with ongoing anxiety issues usually need something like clonazepam (Klonopin) that stays in your body at a steadier level. The other problem with Xanax is it now has become a recreational drug, so a lot of docs are wary about prescribing it (as, to be honest, they should be anyway).

My psychiatrist gave me parameters, which were very helpful. He told me: You need to take at least this amount to get any benefit. But you should not take above this amount without consulting me. So that allowed me to take the lowest dose possible but get relief on bad days.

My levels, in the beginning, were: no less than .25 mg, no more than .5mg, three times a day and once before bedtime. So that was a total of no less than 1 mg, no more than 2 mg, in a 24-hour period. I never, even once, took the maximum. So in total, I started at about .75mg to 1.25 mg in 24 hours for about 12 months. Then started slowly cutting back. I ended all daytime doses, except as needed for emergencies (which are rare), at about 15 months. I now have ended all night-time doses as well. So I am completely off alprazolam at 18 months after I started. I no longer have a prescription for this medication, although I have a few pills for my very few emergencies. I haven't used one in more than a month.

As you probably know, benzo doses aren't equivalent. So .5 mg of alprazolam and clonazepam are about equal to to 1o mg of diazepam (Valium) or 1 mg lorazepam (Ativan). Roughly. Equivalences are somewhat debated. Also, everyone's tolerance is different, which is why it is very important these medications be prescribed and monitored by a mental health professional. My very workable .1 mg of alprazolam daily might knock someone else on their butt -- or might not even make a dent in someone else's symptoms. Also, a benzo that works for me might not be effective for you.

Also want to add: I coupled my medication use, as I worked on coping with my tinnitus in the beginning, with cognitive behavioral therapy, using guided meditations on tape, breathing exercises, etc. My goal from the beginning was to get to the point where I didn't need drugs. That meant I needed coping tools other than just telling myself to calm down,which didn't work. I recommend everyone develop these skills, whether it be through therapy, exercise, Mindfulness, etc. Whatever works for you that doesn't come out of a pill bottle.

17. @LadyDi Thanks for sharing, and for taking the time to answer. Agreed on all counts. My T is a very unusual case, which took a year to get the differential diagnosis. I believe it was on this thread that I posted earlier about the importance of a differential diagnosis for T. What works for one person, may not work for the next. So very true. And developing coping skills that work for each individual is a necessity. My best to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Yesterday was a very bad day; as you know. I was lying in bed for hours and hours, forced to listening to this cruel whimsical never ending noise. Eventually I drifted to sleep. I slept a few hours but woke several times. Strangely the noise was there each time but not at its worst. I suppose I'm lucky today?
      Winnie Pooh, what did he do?

Audiobooks, not sure if that could work. I tried listening to some Big Bang Theory episodes but it made my T just spike. :(

Oh, yes! When I find this button I will create a new thread so that everybody knows about it.

I hope my body shuts down ASAP. 8 months that's too long. I need peace. I so need peace. :cry:

19. I understand. Audiobooks actually made my T worse, but I have talked to some people with T who like audiobooks. Glad you were able to drift off to sleep and that your noise "is not at its worst" today. Winnie the Pooh are the bedtime stories my parents read to me when I was growing up. I guess I have come full circle now that my husband is reading these books to me throughout the night to help me get some sleep, because this loud T is always waking me up. Graham crackers and milk, anyone? Keep looking for that button! I'm counting on you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      So you had total silence?

@svintegrity , thank you. ~hug I'll take a cracker and camomile tea. And then I want to here about Winnie the Pooh.
      Promised! I'll keep looking.. there must be a way somewhere in the dark.

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no; no such thing. but, clonazepam plus ear plugs == "the normal sound of my head" that i've always known.

i don't necessarily think i'd get the same results if i went back on it at this point; working hard to not find out.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      " I'll keep looking. There must be a way somewhere in the dark."

@NiNyu: Is in the middle of the night where I am so can't do a detailed post. But want you to know that saying this is huge. If you believe it, you will get better. Promise. More later.

23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      you will get your sleep back - Telis is right.

24. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      A lot of support on this post,I like it

Sue needs it the moment.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      playing with your iphone in bed is the worst you can do ... you are actually putting your mind in an agitated mode in the place where you should sleep, + the light of the screen will start of brain chemicals to keep you awake. If you can`t sleep and you want to play with Iphone atleast get up and move to another room. Your bedroom should be clean, tidy, no electronic gadgets and used only for sleep and whatever beauty belongs there ... you have to really make your bedroom a sleeping temple. Do some breathing exercise or listen to some relaxing music ... drink heaps of water! ... and sleeping tablets work only for the first 3 weeks and actually give less deep sleep. After 3 weeks they become addictive. So best is to just let yourself get so tired the body collapses. But atleast don`t do anything counterprodcutive. big kiss, good luck :puppykisses:

• Like Like x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SusanGee

SusanGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi nills, sorry I didn't mean I've actually been playing with my phone in bed. I actually can't think of doing much right now let alone play on my phone. It's the stream noises/white noise etc that I've been playing through an app on my phone but I think like someone else has mentioned i probably need some good speakers for it to get the tone right maybe.
      I took diazapam yesterday and I think that and sheer exhaustion put my out for nearly 12 hours on the sofa ! Quite a fit full sleep and must have woke up 20 times but at least it gave me some much needed rest. Anxiety still on a high though and I am still and struggling to see a way through. Boy this is hard

• Like Like x 2
    27. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, very happy you got some sleep Susan. It is a tough one ... Just do this one little test for me ... sit down on the sofa, without any radio or television playing ... close you eyes, take a deep breath and tell your self inside ... `I am peace` ... and believe it in that few seconds when you say it... you know what? you will feel peaceful in that moment ... all our anxiety comes from our wild mind, it is creating a lot of emotions and feelings through our own beliefs.. sometimes it is as simple as consciously changing the beliefs .. it will take some effort but it will bare the best fruit. You can do this. I know this beautiful singer and she has a song I sued to sing along with ... it was so peaceful doing it ... I`ll share it so you can try it. Just enjoy the experience ... sing along! :) it will do you more good than anything at the moment ... and don`t be shocked if there will be a flood of emotions doing this, because you are breaking through the walls of your mind that is holding you together, but sometimes it`s good to let go ... and just keep going :)

and this goes for anyone else who like to try ...

Ong Sohung Live In Concert by Snatam Kaur

• Like Like x 1
    28. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I also had sleeping problems due to stress last year and in fact I still have them occasionally when I become stressed (Im writing my stupid Master's thesss and it is extremely stressful). Anyway , I also took sleeping pills, sometimes more than 1 but the problem is that 1) Taking too many sleeping pills can be dangerous 2) in time you will develop tolerance and you will need bigger and bigger doses or change the drug. The tip that works for me is to have a regular sleeping schedule (going to bed and waking up at the same time) . If I a not able to sleep I simply lie awake for around an hour, then get up and do things (read, write my thesis, listen to music).Sometimes I can't sleep the whole night but then the next night I will be so tired that I will fall asleep. So my tip to you is to avoid pills of possible unless you have someting very important the next day. Your body will tire itsself out and you ill be able to sleep normally.

• Like Like x 1
    29. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Everyones body is different and it depends on how much anxiety there is. Under extreme cases I've not been able to fall asleep at all without some type of pill to help me out for days on end. I think the stresses created in the modern world are nowhere near what nature intended for us.