Stress-Induced Tinnitus Turned Into Awful Engine Like Sound, Audible Over Everything

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mags, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi everyone,

I really need some help. I've had tinnitus for over 3 months. It started very mild. But I kept getting new tones. It's been mild/moderate and totally maskable.

Over a week ago most of the tones disappeared and some went down in volume.

However, they were replaced with an awful engine like sound that is audible over mostly everything. It is also somehow louder around kitchen appliances e.g. fridge, microwave or aircon.

I'm freaking out to be honest.

My tinnitus has been stress induced and my reaction to it was huge. I know that I've made it worse by being stressed about it.

All the doctors have been telling me that it will get better over time but it actually got worse.

What are my chances for the new tone to settle a bit/drop in volume?

It seems to be coming from my head and when I put earplugs in, it actually gets quieter which is weird as before it was the opposite.

Anything I can do to make it better? Thanks in advance!

2. MCN

MCN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - ENT says "Hearing Loss", I say "what?"
      Hi @Mags, I hope you are better.
      By reading the quote above I got the impression that your new tinnitus is reactive.

Is there any time during the day your new tone gets better/worse?

3. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you stop the engine noise by covering your ears, talking, humming, taking a deep breath?

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Mags, it sounds like your auditory signals are misfiring.

Have you started any medication or come off any, like antidepressants or sleeping tablets or started any new ones?

Love,
      Glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yes I think that the new tone is reactive. I can't stand being around a fridge or microwave. It's definitely better when I'm in a quieter setting.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi Kriszti, yes, I can make it less noticeable when putting earplugs in or music on. It's really weird as my old tinnitus was heard most with earplugs in...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi Glynis.

A day or two after the new tone started, I started taking a low dose of Pregabalin to calm down. It's only 25mg and it's been helping me with panic attacks. So not sure if this is linked in any way. What do you think?

Before that I took Clindamycin for two days for an infection. Only 2 days though. I think my auditory system has become quite sensitive which could be due to high anxiety I've been experiencing for the last 3 months since my tinnitus started. Like focusing on sounds to cover the tinnitus.

It's been now 10 days with that new tone and no idea why it can be masked with earplugs?? Other tones I've had for 3 months have either disappeared or decreased in volume but the engine like sound is much louder :(

8. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Have you done hearing test lately to see if you have hearing loss?

I find that after my SSHL, a new loud rumbling and roaring, yes like an engine sound, has developed from the left ear which has a sudden hearing loss. But I guess other conditions may trigger this type of ringing.

Yes, I also find the ears are reactive. It may be some form of hyperacusis. I had this sound sensitivity issue when my tinnitus first hit years ago. It faded over time though. So I am not too concerned this time around. It may just fade like before. Patience plus positivity and keeping calm will help us improve. I guess we need to give the body some time to heal itself. Trying to resist our reality with anxiety and stress will only aggravate things.

9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Pregabalin works on the brain for epilepsy and anxiety.
      It could well be down to the medication but should settle down.
      It works well for anxiety and quite quickly too but it takes about 8 weeks for your brain to adapt to the meds. Your tinnitus should settle down again.

Love,
      Glynis

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks for your reply Billie. I don't have hearing loss. I think what I'm experiencing is a form of mild hyperacusis. I have an ENT appointment tomorrow so will ask about it. Although they will likely say nothing new. Hehehe.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mags

Mags Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you. It feels like I've become sensitive to sounds. And Pregabalin really helps me sleep so hopefully it didn't cause the new symptoms. And it is a low dose anyway.

Thanks again.

• Hug Hug x 1