Struggling

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Neil Finch, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Neil Finch

Neil Finch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

My name is Neil, aged 43, qualified civil and structural engineer, never in my life have I had any ear/hearing problems... Until 3 weeks ago.

It just started as a very loud, high pitched noise like a jet engine in both ears and has carried on with the same intensity 24/7 since. The day it started I had been chopping logs outside but had a bit of a blocked nose/sinus issue the week before.

A work colleague had also developed ringing in his ears the week before I developed mine but his cleared up after 6 days so I was thinking it was just a virus.

I have also developed a sensitivity to loud noises and have had to take the last week off work due to this.

Went to my GP who said both my ears were full of wax, couldn't see my ear drums and this was causing my T. Was advised to use bicarbonate of soda ear drops for 2 weeks so that I could have my ears syringed. GP also put me on atenolol (said my BP was rather high) and betahistine, although I hadn't experienced any vertigo symptoms.

I have since developed hearing loss in my left ear, which disappeared after 1 day, but has now switched to my right ear, that I have had for the last 4 days.

So the day of ear syringing arrived today, my ears were checked first and... There was no wax in my ears at all... The worst news I wanted.

My GP now says my ears drums are red, with fluid behind them (which I can feel it moving when I move my head). He has now prescribed me steroid ear drops (otomize). I have used 2 applications of this today and it has given me an extremely massive spike in my T (I had been sleeping prior to taking this).

So here I am, 3 weeks in, 2.39am and unable to sleep and stressed out & worried sick.

I know it's the worst thing to be but I am at my wits end.

Anyway, I thank you all for providing a forum for me to vent my frustration and hope you welcome me to the group.

All the best

Neil

Ps I've probably missed loads of detail out but it is getting late!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ajith

ajith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear trauma
      Don't worry. Give it some time, Sir. Iam a lot younger than you ,29 and suffered /suffering from Tinnitus. Time heals everything. Stay strong.

• Like Like x 1
    3. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Exactly how i felt when i got my T, but I'm only 21, got it from a loud rave, i was drunk and stood beside a speaker.. believe me i regret that day, for the first 2 weeks all i did was panic, i isolated myself from everyone and everything, i had no will to live.. the only time i slept was when i was close to passing out.

I'm about 4 months in, feeling so much better, it's gone down in volume too.. I believe yours will too! Not gonna lie i still hear it .. But i notice it less and less as i do what i do everyday, i sleep normally too, without any sound in the background. It gets easier believe me. Many people in this forum can tell you that :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Welcome to the Tinnitus Talk forum Neil.
      You are new into this so give it time. I am unsure of whether you have T from loud noise exposure (Chopping the wood) or perhaps it is something else.
      Just give it time..

• Like Like x 1
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dude, I made stupid mistake as well and i REGRET IT SO MUCH. I listened to the ipod loudly while doing my routine running, also i was next to a speaker at a festival (speaker was on left, ear was on the left side). I wish i knew all this earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Don't be too hard on yourself, many people made this mistake.. The ability to notice ones mistake and to learn not to do it again is a valuable lesson :) We can't change what we did, but we can still make our future better, it's not over :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, well I am 27 and want to move on with my life. I didn't know what Tinnitus was nor Hyperacusis before all this began.

• Like Like x 1
    8. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Same here ! I've said this before but tinnitus should be far more talked about in schools or other places, like you i didn't even know it existed.

• Like Like x 2
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is truly the worst thing that has happened to me , it is like my life has been placed on a pause.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      If you'd see me the first week i got my T.. I was like a sick dog staring at nothing with so many negative thoughts.. Felt like my life just got wasted, but no, time truly helps.. When you get your T and it's new, your brain doesn't know what to think and that's why you panic, it takes time to get used just like with everything. There are people here with extremely loud T, and they are doing very good :)

11. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dude, that is how i feel sometimes, sometimes i feel like man i can do this..other times i am like well all that was for nothing, two degrees, three foreign languages, wasted knowledge...lost potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Haha.. I have no degrees, no job..Live on welfare and struggling to find a job..And because of T i had to sell my motorcycle.. now i have no way to drive to places other than a bus... Which where i live they have a very dumb system.. 2 buses from my town to the city.. i struggled to even buy and maintain my motorcycle but i loved it.. and i had to give it up.. I gave up listening to music trough my ear buds.. that one thing i also loved so much... BUT even with all that.. I'll keep going.. because even though my life sucks.. i still try to see the positive side, and help anyone i can because i know just how horrible life may get. So stay strong buddy! You have many reasons to go on.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      my life sucks now too, but this wish to still be happy is in me

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No doctor has diagnosed you with an ear infection?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sounds like an ear infection is causing your T. It might be a good idea to see an ENT as soon as you can...

• Like Like x 1
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neil Finch

Neil Finch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My new friends,

Thanks for the messages and support, it is greatly appreciated.

Just managed to get 4 hours sleep, but our muTual friend has just awoken me.

Just a bit more info for you: -

My GP has gone from diagnosing ear wax to labyrinthitis to otitis media within 24 hours, basically he doesn't know, I don't think he has had experience of tinnitus as he was telling me it's my fault for being anxious and stressed. THIS IS NOT THE TYPE OF PERSON I WAS. I have only had this condition 3 weeks and feel I know as much about it as I would like to.

Possible causes

I used to go to a lot of raves, between 17 and 21, but stopped when. Y beautiful daughter was born, but that was 22 years ago. I use earphones like most people but not all the time and not too loud, I have the tv on quiet most of the time as my hearing has always been very good.

I thought it was settling down, had a couple of days recently where I woke up and it was quiet for an hour, to be honest I had been sleeping generally OK apart from a couple of times, but since using the otomize spray yesterday it appears to have irritated my T to such an extent it has become unbearable (this last night has been hell).

Regarding seeing an ENT, unfortunately here in England on the NHS it takes months to see one, unless I pay to go private, which is the first thing I'm going to organise Monday morning.

I have a very good office job but am currently in the state of mind where I think I may have to leave the job, there goes the mortgage, car, pension etc.

I'm normally a very outgoing type of person, I used to do a lot of mountain biking but had a hernia operation at the end of July and am still recovering so hopefully that will get better.

I've always pretty well looked after myself, 7-8 hours of sleep a night, drink lots of water, don't eat red meat (not for over 20 years), eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, as I said normally get lots of exercise.

I am hoping it is just a virus or bacterial infection that will subside but as I've been telling my family and friends this last week - I have never experienced anything like this in my life.

As I explained to my mum the other day, it's like I'm standing on the left, my tinnitus stands in the middle and reality is on the right hand side.

This is so tormenting!

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well if it's a bacterial infection, you stand better chances with an appropriate treatment. Left untreated, you could be facing much bigger problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Neil Finch ,
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk.
      I would try steam inhalation and take Sudafed to help clear mucous out of your tubes even try a antihistamine incase you have a allergy and can reduce mucous.
      Keep relaxing music on around you and try stay relaxed as anxiety can fuel tinnitus.
      Keep posting as we are here around the clock to support you.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Neil Finch So sorry that you are not feeling well. It is important that you remain calm. Stress and anxiety only make it worst. Try to go for a full body massage, this may help your body to calm down. Try hot baths with Epsom salts and Sleepytime tea or Chamomille tea at bed time. I take a teaspoon of magnesium with my tea and it helps a lot. Stay away from loud noises to rest your ears. I pray you get better soon.

@glynis recommendations are excellent.

Wishing you better days.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Daisysmum
      Insomnious

Daisysmum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      compacted ear wax and ear infection
      Hi Neil

Please don't quit your job.

I've just been forced out of uni because of the time I have been off.

My tinnitus story is something like yours. It has been 4 weeks now though. I think I was given a bit of a runaround by the doctors back home where I am a temporary resident. The first drops and spray I was given irritated my ears and made it worse.

My introductory post and I guess this one too - is very sorry for myself... :(

It never lets up. Its in one ear, the one with all the stupid wax and infection.

Well less stupid wax now....

Today it was quieter in the afternoon. I finally got to sleep because I was exhausted and it was a lot better. My husband was over at the uni and it was so good to see him and not put up with the whine. The syringing made it worse. now it seems to be getting bad again.

I do know what you mean about the NHS. I'm in Scotland. I used to get a few ear infections when I taught swimming. With one bad one (no tinnitus though - this is the first time ever) I had to wait 12 weeks to see someone at ENT.

I wish you the best and I hope it is an infection and it goes away.

Take care

Christine

22. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Acoustic trauma is quite common cause of T but it is only one in many reasons. You mention you had sinus or cold issue and that is also known to trigger T. There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear or Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, extreme, extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, etc., etc. Sometimes it is not easy to pin down to an exact cause. If we are lucky that the cause is determined and if it is fixable, then T will tend to fade. Goo luck. God bless.