Sudafed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Misery, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I knew I had at least slight sinus issues as of recent. The meds the doctor prescribed (Nasonex and an antibiotic) have done nothing for my sinus issues or T. The pharmacist told me the best thing to clear out the sinus/eustachian tubes is Sudafed. I've been taking it continuously for two days now and I'm shocked at how much is clearing from my sinuses. My T seems to be decreasing possibly as a result. If you believe your T is caused by otitis media/sinus issues/etc... Have you tried Sudafed and what were your results?

2. Liesel

Liesel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2013
      I took sudafed when my tinnitus and ear pain symptoms were at their worst. It was actually a bad thing for me. The sudafed kept me awake and alert, increasing my anxiety and thus the perceived volume of tinnitus . I felt better after going off of it. Though to be fair this is probably a case of TMJ bothers eustacian tubes bothers middle ear, so I don't know that sudafed should have had an affect on me anyhow.

3. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      have you tried antihistamines? I'm giving them a go and I've also bought some sudafed which I will also after I give the antihistamines a good go try. Keep us updated on whether the sudafed works coz that would be totally amazing if it does!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I was on Sudafed and Advil when my T started. I was then put on a steroid and then an antibiotic, cause they thought my eustachian tubes were infected. I've still got T. May I suggest as it was told to me do not take Sudafed past 3pm so it has time to leave your system for better sleep at night. I'm not sure if it was the meds I was taking or the viral infection I started with that started the T. But I won't use either Sudafed nor Advil now. I use nasal sprays daily and a nasal sinu-rinse whenever I get allergy or sinus issue. Don't know if Sudafed is ototoxic but Advil is.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Hmmm. My T started well before my use of Sadafed. So far, my ear is feeling less full/congested and my ringing is very faint now and, I know it may sound crazy, but my T now has a pleasant sound like faint windchimes off in the distance.

I believe pseudoephedrine is known to have a low level of ototoxicity.

I also tired antihistamines like Claritin D, but noticed no relief for my sinus/ear issues or T.

I've been using Sudafed day and night. I seems to me more drains from my sinus during the night than day, but maybe I'm wrong.

6. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Misery. I'm so happy things are better for you. I'm going to try Sudafed as well as antihistamines. I don't know what else to try. It sounds the same even after nearly 4 months and its so loud I cry all the time. No one around me cares and says I should get on with my life. I cant :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I'm so sorry, Neenie. It will get better for you, I'm certain.

Today my T is a little more intrusive, but it's okay. I'm okay. I'm still hoping for it to go away or for myself to habituate. I'm optimistic. I can say one thing with certainty. I have not heard the loud clicks in about one week. I'll take it, as that was something that really called my attention to the T. My T doesn't disrupt my life 95 % of the time. I won't allow it to. I hear it or can hear it anytime over just about anything, but I choose not to. I don't mask during the day. I'm fine in "silence" hearing my T. I'm oddly curios about the sounds. I have ambient sounds on very low only when sleeping. I can still hear my T, but I can drown out the T by focusing on the ambient sounds.

I'm still using Nasonex and Sudafed consistently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. royhoward

royhoward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You do have people that understand and care about you! We do! Crying is understandable. Try walking. It is good for your body. Hang in there brave one.
      You'll

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Just to update...

Things seem to be heading in the right direction. My ear is feeling less and less full as time goes on, less popping too. The ringing is becoming more faint over time. I woke up with my T ear pressed to the pillow and I hardly heard the sound. It's most definitely a big difference from what it was like in he beginning.

I hope we can all experience decreases in our T.

10. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hey... Im so happy for you, i really am... why don´t you change your mood then from misery to something else?? every time i see your post´s i dread looking at them!!!! as i have enough of my own misery... please change that horrible post!!!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      lol so sorry! Misery is just the name of a beloved pet cat that passed, not me at all.

Thank you, Carol.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Updating...

Last night I feel asleep with my sound generator on to the lowest possible setting. I woke up during the night on my T ear and turned off the generator completely to listen for my T. I could hardly hear anything so I left the sound generator off and quickly fell back asleep. This is the first night I turned the sounds off. This was a noisy weekend (Christmas party, birthday party, noisy restaurant). I used ear plugs for each of the occasions. I hear my T currently as a "tape hiss". I'm still using Nasonex and Sudafed daily. I'm still very hopefully this will eventually go away or that I will completely habituate.

I sincerely hope everyone is doing well in their situations.

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Reading the above posts, it does seem to help with the fullness feeling

14. dazraf

dazraf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      How long did you take Sudafed for? it says on the label not to take it more than 7 days as it increases congestion?