Supplements Success for Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rudy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Anyone have any feedback or success with Vitamin B12, Niacin or other supplements for hyperacusis and tinnitus? I'm currently taking Magnesium. Thanks for the future input! :)

2. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Rudy

Do you have pain? I don't have pain with my H. But all sounds are much louder.
      Anyone tried N-Acetyl Cysteine/N-AC for H?

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mostly sensitivity to sound. If I hear something that is loud it does hurt my ear, not constant pain though. I tried NAC for a little over a month and no changes.

4. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      A lot of people with H. talk about pain, do you hear everything louder? I sometimes get pain in my ear but not from sound, I think it's T-related. My (low, not loud) T sometimes goes from one to the other ear. I want to do TRT. H. bothers me so much more.

@Rudy When you only have pain than it's not H? H is when all sounds are too loud. But some people with H do also have pain from sounds.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I personally think I do have H just not as bad. Squeaky breaks, dogs barking in the same room, slammed doors, sirens, alarms...all hurt my ears. There is absolutely no way I would be able to survive in a bar or movie theater.

6. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Any more recommendations for supplements to take for hyperacusis and tinnitus?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I recently had good luck with taking GABA and L-Tryptophan for bringing down my nerve "jumping" with hyperacusis and generally preventing my nerves from zapping so much. Unfortunately after recent setbacks, my luck ran out and now it's not doing so much.

8. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I can't take L-Tryptophan because I'm on Nortriptyline. Oh well.

9. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Travis Henry, I heard this guy called Dr. David Sinclair on the radio. He is pro NMN (Nicotinamide mononucleotide). They are starting to do human trials for the treatment on glaucoma as it’s been successful in regenerating the eyesight of mice after the optical nerve is severed.

He is a Harvard Professor. He recommends taking NMN, Resveratrol, Vitamin D, K2, exercise, fasting with calorie restriction, avoid sugar, bread, pasta, don't smoke, avoid plastic, excessive UV exposure, X-Rays, CT scans, sleep in a cold bedroom and cold exposure. Amongst other things. He has some interesting podcasts. His research is about repairing faulty genes and reversing the ageing process.

Worth a shot. I hope this is helpful.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Two anecdotes on NMN, one from myself and one from a noxacusis sufferer:

NMN worked really well for me the first bottle I took it and saw major improvements. Second bottle the benefits waned, then nothing, then I suspect it was giving me spikes.

The noxacusis guy had a similar story. Worked well enough, 3 weeks later it stopped and then got pain every time he took it.

Might work better taking all those other things in tandem with it. I just know for me and another person that's what happened. I don't understand why drugs or supplements work for a bit and then it's almost like the body rejects it after. Makes no sense.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      You may want to try Boswellia extract (500mg) for the hyperacusis if you’re having issues with sound sensitivity. I sometimes think this supplement kickstarted my loudness hyperacusis recovery. One week after starting it, I noticed positive changes in sound sensitivity out of nowhere. I’m still not 100% sure it was that...

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    12. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Did your noxacusis just go back to being as bad as ever after a while of using the NMN?

13. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      I personally don't have noxacusis, just severe loudness hyperacusis. So I'm not sure if my word means much. But for me my pattern on NMN was improvements, no more improvements/staying at baseline, then spikes and setbacks. Then returning to normal after I stopped (but still declining because, that's just how it goes).

Trying to think back on the noxacusis guy, I think he said that after the NMN stopped working and began to spike him, he said the setbacks were "worse than they had been", but then he went back to baseline pain after stopping them. Another guy with loudness hyperacusis got a tinnitus spike from it.
      Welp, time to add another to my collection!

• Like Like x 1
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just want to give some context, I was still quite sensitive after I noticed the random improvement, but it was at a level where I could finally start a gradual sound therapy treatment. From there on, my tolerance kept building, albeit slowly and non linearly. I’m not sure which factors played the more significant role here. Either continual use of Boswellia supplement, sound therapy, or just time? Maybe a combination of all this? I can’t say for certain, but what I can say is my sound sensitivity did in fact changed in the right direction one week after starting this supplement coincidental.

I’m still taking the supplement as a sort of good luck charm if you will because I really do feel like it allowed me to recover(in sound sensitivity). It’s not to say I’m fully recovered though, I still have some issues with loudness hyperacusis, but it’s in a much much better state.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    15. Shizune
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Good to know, I just got my sound generators adjusted to a comfortable level and was planning to start soon. Hopefully it was a combo of both and I can get the same results.

Do you use in-ear sound generators, sound machines, pink noise recordings? Some combination? And how long have you been keeping at it?

I'm very hesitant to start but I know I need to at least try.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I see that you take 500 mg, but what is the brand name?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, I did not use in-ear sound generators or sound machines. I basically took in sounds in my own home, to reintroduce and desensitize myself to it. The water faucet was the least triggering, so I started with that. Sound therapy was structured in the beginning, I starting with a 5 minute time limit listening to it run on low water pressure while I’m in the vicinity of the faucet (near my bedroom area). I increased the duration by 1 minute every 2 days or so until I made it up to 30 minutes (also increased the water pressure gradually). By the 30 minute mark, I was beginning to tolerate it really well. I had to stop shortly after because the utility bill at the end of the month came up to an insane amount and nearly gave me stroke. I moved on to outside city ambience sounds. I opened my window very late at night and just like with the faucet, I would set a time limit and kept increasing the listening duration. I also added soft music into the mix along with some podcasts using high quality speakers. I ditched the hearing protection in the house all together and started to embrace any discomfort I felt. This sound therapy took 4 months (early October - end of January). My tolerance eventually kept building and building during these months.

After January, I didn’t do much structured sound therapy as my sensitivity was stabilizing by then. But I took in as much sounds as I could when in my home. Whether it’s watching TV (Jeopardy daily), cooking, showering, playing video games at comfortable volume levels, or listening to relaxing music (Mozart). Anything really... The last 2 and half months I’ve seen a snowball effect of greater improvement. I can destroy cucumbers again.

It was balancing act between exposing myself slowly to sounds again and resting my ears anytime I felt that I overdid it. I would get ear fatigue after more exposure, so I would spend some few days with little to less sound exposure. I always sleep in silence as a way to rest up as well.

Good luck to you. I hope you’ll get some relief at some point.
      Now Foods

6A50C8E3-EE90-40FC-8237-89698DF5A2D6.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just thought I would leave this here. Labdoor is a great website that tests supplements to see if they contain the amount stated on the bottle. I stumbled upon it when looking for NMN, very glad I did, so many products had no detectable trace. Also changed my Vit D supplier.

Sorry, I should clarify, I got the information about NMN from this video:

22 NMN Brands Independently Tested | SHOCKING...

He mentioned Labdoor but I think he got this data from somewhere else.

I did use the website to check my Vit D supplement.

• Informative Informative x 1