Support Group Worth Attending?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael R, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Michael R
      Woot

Michael R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There is a support group meeting in my area tomorrow that I found out about on the ATA website. I've had T for about 4 and a half months now. I was wondering if anyone has been to these support group meetings and if they are positive and perhaps uplifting in a way. I really don't want to go out of my way to go somewhere that might make me feel worse about my condition, I am not habituated but do have alternating good and bad days. Anyone any thoughts?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Michael R ,
      It should be a positive experience for you and make some friends going through the same feelings and dealings with tinnitus and given sound advice in person.
      I run a tinnitus group with another lady and would recommend them...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Michael R: I was not a big fan of the support group in my area that was listed on the ATA web site. But I definitely would encourage you to go. We are lucky to even have support groups near us; many people don't.

Groups will vary greatly, according to the mix of people they attract and the facilitator. I would recommend you try to go at least two or three times before you make up your mind. A good support group can be invaluable. I have been involved with several, just not one regarding tinnitus. The worst that can happen is it will not be a fit for you and you will move on.

One caveat, though: One reason I didn't like my support group is that it was run by a couple who sells hearing aids and maskers. I sensed one of their main reasons for having the group was to sell product. So: I would ask questions about who is sponsoring the group and why. The ATA does not check these things out. Anyone who says they have a group can have it listed.

I would be much more interested in going to a group facilitated by a kind and helpful fellow T patient, like @glynis. Alas, she lives across the pond.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've personally found general chronic pain support groups more useful than the tinnitus specific ones I've gone to -- but I also have a wide range of issues...

5. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I go to a support group here in the UK. I look forward to going and for me has been the best treatment for my tinnitus. I always come away feeling like I'm not alone and have others who really understand. Family, friends and work colleagues dont understand the suffering it causes. Only those with this wretched condition truly understand. I am fortunate to have a great group of people. I guess each group varies but I wouldn't think twice about giving it a go. For me it has helped me more than any doctor has.

6. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Tweaker
      We are setting one up in the north west, Blackpool, Lancs. can you give us any tips / topics you discuss. Thanks Phil

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Our group is free and weekly and just a 30p charge for a hot drink.
      It is listed on the BTA support group under dDeaflinks .
      We talk about tinnitus and other non related things to help positivity and on hand all week if they need to talk to us for support....were a cheery lot and sometimes cheeky ....lots of love glynis
      Thank you @LadyDi for your kind words too...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    8. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      This is Very good for T suffers a weekly meeting. UK seem to better organized when it comes to Tinnitus. Is there a walk , for eg. like brest cancer ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Phil sorry I didn't notice your post at the time. We invite speakers along such as audiologists, NHS services such as mind, relaxation teachers, mindfulness teachers and BTA workers, etc. We chat and share tips and experiences and have a laugh too. Did you set a group in the end?

• Like Like x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I used to go to a local group in my area but I stopped going. It didn't feel like people were talking about the same condition that I had to deal with, and so it ended up having a negative impact on my mood, as most of the "recipes" that were applicable (sometimes with success) to the rest of the people there were completely and utterly useless to me.

That being said, I suspect it all depends on the severity of your T and whether you find many common aspects with the rest of the attendees, so I'd say it's worth checking it out a few times to figure out if you can find value in it.

11. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Tweaker
      We have a quarterly support group at the education centre, Blackpool Victoria Hospital . The next meeting is Thurs 10th May 2018 at 1:30pm. The sessions are run by Alan Kenyon, Hearing Therapist, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Regards Phil