Swollen Tubes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamie G, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/swollen Eustachian tubes
      Hi,

About a year ago I had an ear infection. Towards the end of the infection I started hearing a ringing noise and during the next week, as my hearing returned to normal, the ringing got worse and worse. My ENT took a look inside my nose with a camera and identified that my right tube was swollen (the T is nearly all in that ear). He prescribed nasal sprays (Avamys and Otrivine) and this really helped for a couple of months, reducing the noise to about 10%. I thought it was basically sorted forever but after a while the T flared up again and I returned to another round of the nasal sprays. Within days the T had again diminished to nearly nothing, and for one day I couldn't hear it at all, even in a silent room. However, like before, it soon returned to an uncomfortable level after the effect of the sprays wore off.

I returned to my ENT and he again identified my right nasal passage as being swollen (he couldn't actually fit the camera up there) but just casually suggested I try the nasal sprays again. I feel like there is something more that can be done, but he doesn't seem willing to give me any useful advice or attention. If anyone here could offer some ideas or suggestions for a more long-term solution I'd be really grateful.

Extra info:
      - I find using decongestants such as a Vicks inhaler stick helps alongside the nose spray (possibly it reduces the swelling/cause of swelling).
      - On the follow up after my first round of nasal spray (when the T had virtually disappeared) the ENT checked my tubes and said they were no longer swollen.
      - In the periods I use the spray I often get popping and crackling in my ear which I guess suggests the swelling is reducing and pressures equalising.
      - I have normal hearing in both ears.
      - The ENT said I had a septum deviation but that this didn't matter

Sorry for such a long post but I thought the more information I give the better!

Thank you :)

Jamie G

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Ernesto

Ernesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hit in my ear
      Hi Jamie,
      My case is similar, I had a tinnitus but in the past few months it worsened I think due to Eustachian tube dysfunction.
      When I use Flonase (also a Nasal spray, I think it is the same than Avamys) I also feel as the popping or cracking in the ear when swallowing worsens... I thought that could mean that the nasal spray is not working and makes the symptoms worse...
      I see you think it is the contrary, but precisely the popping is a symptom of Eustachian tube dysfunction. could not this mean that the spray is not working so well or causing more congestion? I wonder if I should continue the spray or stop taking it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Ernesto,

From my experience I have found that a mixture of anti-inflammatories and decongestants works best for my case. Although I can't be certain exactly what is going on, I'm pretty sure the popping and cracking is from my tubes trying to open up further as the swelling begins to reduce. How long have you been using the spray for? I doubt they would cause any more congestion. I just hope there is a way to get my tubes to stay open and unswollen rather than always swelling up again...

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe a antihistamine might help to keep mucous away....give it a try as it can reduce mucous and keep your tubes clear....lots of love Glynis

5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I have used this natural nasal spray with lots of success.

Naturade
      Nasal Spray - Saline & Aloe with Natural Sea salt and soothing Aloe Vera

I bought it at a Whole Foods market.

It soothes that "sore" feeling in my tubes.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your advice so far :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does anyone else have any ideas? :)

8. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'd try the natural saline way, but whatever you choose, don't use steroidal spray for prolonged period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @slipware Thank you, I am trying saline nasal spray which seems to help a bit. I agree that steroidal spray is definitely not a good idea long term.

10. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      How is it now?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @slipware I don't know if there is any long-term improvement, my T varies so often it is hard to tell if it is helping... but I am keeping with it anyway because I suspect it may be doing some good :)

12. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm doing the same, I'll try anything.

13. PassingThru
      Balanced

PassingThru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My primary care doc said I can use Flonase long term w/no side effects. I've been on it for about 2.5 months and it helps tremendously (ENT says it doesn't start working until 4-6 weeks in)...I think eventually I'll be able to wean myself off, but for now it's better than swollen tubes. I tried the natural saline and it made my symptoms worse. Changing my diet (anti-inflammatory) has helped just as much as the Flonase. I think the only way to not use Flonase long term is determine what is triggering the inflammation in the ET (allergies? diet?) Mine are a combo of allergies, diet, and humidity...this was discovered after months of journaling my symptoms. I bought a humidity monitor for my home ( a couple bucks from Home Depot), DL the Allergy.com and WebMd Allergy apps to keep track of local allergens, and totally cut out foods that caused drainage or ET flare ups (for me...grains, processed sugar, salt, dairy, fatty meats) added a probiotic, more organic fruits, veggies and eggs. Added daily cinnamon for inflammation ( I drink before bed with warm almond milk and organic raw honey...also helps calm my nervous system down.) Stress reduction is another key factor for me. I've heard from a Youtube Tinnitus guru that T is caused by overactive adrenaline. He believes most people with T have been in the "fight or flight mode" for too long and their adrenaline is too high. I think that was true for me, as T started right after an abnormally stressful couple of months in my life.

One more thing...as my diet has been cleaned up for the past 4 months, I've discovered that I can slowly tolerate some foods again...in small amounts. I have a small slice of fresh baked bread made with all natural ingredients once a week with organic real butter, and it doesn't cause problems. Today I had about 6 pretzels which was a big deal. I'm going to see an allergist just to rule out any real food allergies, but I think the sudden sensitivities were just caused by inflammation in my body in general...from eating crap for years.

Sorry so long, hope I can help someone with all I've been through.

• Like Like x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamie G
      Cheerful

Jamie G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PassingThru Thanks for your post, it's really appreciated. My ENT advised me to take Avamys for 6 weeks originally and I have used it again for short periods of time with success. However, the T always comes back quickly after finishing and I'm worried that using nose sprays long term is not a good idea... though maybe this is something I can look into. It's frustrating because my T goes away with such simplicity and ease for a few days but my ENT has no suggestions for anything long term! Although it has been a year and a half now, I still can't pinpoint anything (except perhaps stress and tiredness) that makes it worse. And I can't think of a reason an ear infection would suddenly cause me to have allergies to certain foods etc. I have always had an intolerance to wheat and dairy but when I have cut them out of my diet for a few days it is hard to feel any immediate change so I always end up giving up.

Best wishes,

Jamie