Tinnitus and Terrible Pressure in Eustachian Tubes After a Viral Infection in Lymph Node

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Anita Smith, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Anita Smith

Anita Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I' a 48-year-old female from the UK, with tinnitus and constant Eustachian tube pressure.

Doctors are not hopeful. I have had 4 GP visits (1 over telephone) / 2 ENT visits (with numerous tests) self-funded (wait list for NHS 6 months).

It all started when I had a viral infection in my right lymph node. I was left with terrible pressure in Eustachian tubes, and high to low pitched ringing in both ears (right one is constant, left intermittent).

Some days are better than others. Today I could just scream. "Medical experts" are as useful as a chocolate tea pot. I have now been signed off from the ENT, advised to go back to GP (for counseling if I feel the need). There is no medicine that releases the pressure. Frustrating, but just shows that the medical industry haven't got a clue.

So back to my own investigation and research for myself. Any information anyone has would be most welcome.

Many thanks,
      Nita

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. hopefuldede

hopefuldede Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      I am from Northern Ireland so I am subject to the same healthcare system as you. I have had ETD since November 2022. Some days are bad, some are ok, and some I can manage as normal.

I have everything you mention, plus crackling and popping (like a crisp packet sound rattling when I yawn).

3. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      Have you tried 10 mg of Sudafed? In the United States, you can get 10 mg over the counter. I would try it if you haven't already. It is a decongestant. Please stay away from the sprays. They can cause a spike in your tinnitus.

4. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      A recent U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory panel has concluded that over-the-counter (OTC) oral phenylephrine is ineffective as a nasal decongestant.

Sudafed sales and others with this ingredient only lines the pockets of the pharmacological industry.

Don't waste your money.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's a bit more nuanced than that: there are 2 kinds of "Sudafed" for congestion. One of them has been the target of the FDA's advisory. As far as I can tell, the other one (which requires showing ID to the pharmacist) has not been deemed to be ineffective.

This matches my experience as well: the good stuff would always work for me, but the other OTC stuff would not. I stopped buying that one a long time ago.

More info here.
      Do you have a source for that statement? I'm curious because I've been using sprays for a long time as needed, and never noticed any change in my tinnitus. Of course, nothing ever changes my tinnitus, so there's that.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Supersix
      Balanced

Supersix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss ETD Left Ear,Profound hearing loss R
      Long-term use of nasal sprays can cause side effects, including ear ringing. I won't use any of them as they cause a spike, especially Afrin. My Eustachian tube is sensitive to sprays.

I buy the 30 mg SUDAFED, cut them in half, and only use them when needed.

7. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Good stuff. I stand corrected.