Taking a Nap

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike, Sep 26, 2012.

1. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      I have had Tinnitus for 7 months now. I have found that during a low day if I rest and fall asleep during the day
      I will wake up with it Louder than ever.
      On 3 Occasions I have had tinnitus very loud and fell asleep for 5 Min. and woke and
      it had got so low I could barely hear it.
      This is very rare when this happens. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

• Like Like x 1
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Nope, mine is always loud if I nap.

3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Mine is usually the loudest it will be that day just after waking - it's like a barometer for T. I don't nap because I really want to sleep at night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Are you napping in a prone position?

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      Before I got Tinnitus I would come home after work and sit down in my recliner and sometimes I would dose off for about 20 minutes my head would be tilted down to the right while I sleep. I have done this for years. Then I was good to go till bedtime. Well I dose off just like that after work around Feb -16-2012 and when a woke up after about 10 min. I had this loud hisssing sounds in my head.That is how my Tinnitus started 7 months ago.I never go home and rest anymore till it is time to go to bed. Mine seems to be in my sleeping patterns. If it is low and I was to nap then it would go Sky High.
      If I wake up in the mornings if it is loud it will stay loud all day ,If it is low it will stay low all day. There is no in between during the day.When I do go to sleep it just starts all over again the mornings. I hope this makes sense. I don't mean to just rumble on.

6. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Mike
      Your T matches mine. I get a few days with almost none & then it starts again. Also the morning T denotes the rest of the day. And you described the start as 'hissing in your head' (which differs from screeching in the ears that many have). Mine was like electricity in my head when it started and even now it's mainly a buzzing electrical noise when it's loud.
      Click

7. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Mine also starts as a minor hiss in the morning. I can now tell if it will be a loud or low day based on how "active" the hissing is when I wake up. Mine used to start low and increase throughout the day, but now it pretty much stays constant. Last week I had 3 low days followed by 2 loud and then 2 low. This week it was loud Monday and Tuesday and today it is low. My eating has been very consistant so as not to cause spikes but so far this is all still a mystery.

Click I have a hiss in my right ear but if I plug my ears I do hear the electrical sounds in my head also. Usually if I am having a louder hiss day, I cannot hear the electrical sounds in my head unless it is very quiet. When I have low hiss day, the electrical sounds can be a little more noticeable.

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My hissing also gets louder when I lie down - not more noticeable... just louder :cautious:

Erik, yours Mike's and mine do all sound very similar then? Especially the 'having a few good, a few bad, a few ok days' pattern.

I've eliminated and reintroduced all the food that I eat. Chinese sauce makes mine immediately 'spike' but nothing else seems to make any difference. I've never cooked with or added salt to anything so not sure what salt would do. I also don't think that magnesium rich foods etc. made it any better.

The one thing I cut out completely and didn't re-introduce was Volvic mineral water. I drank a lot more mineral water when I moved to Cornwall because of the change of area (wanted to gradually get used to whatever the Cornish water board adds to theirs) and, although Volvic isn't a particularly 'high in calcium' water, I was worried that the added calcium had caused the T. I'm back in Hampshire now (house sale down there completes on Friday - yippee!) and, although I always used to drink Volvic, I haven't had any since cutting it out.

The reason I'm scared of too much calcium is that, way before the T, too much calcium used to make my head go a bit weird.

I still think that the ENT I saw was wrong... he said it was caused by stress and that it would go away but I am beginning to wonder. Maybe nothing else was involved. Maybe I had stress that was subconscious (because I wasn't aware of any).

If the hissing is there, when I stick a finger in my ear and pull down, it lessens.

When there is less air in the house (I'm a fresh air freak) the hissing gets louder. I thought this was because it was evening but it isn't. Opening the back door changes it so it goes down again (this isn't 'masking with external noise' because I have the rain sounds on all the time). That's why I suspect air pressure is affecting it.

Sometimes I can actually 'feel' the hissing or electrical noises when I trace my fingers over my skull. Also, when I brush my hair the hissing gets worse. Has to be related to nerve endings/signals/central nervous system...?

Apologies for scribbling down rambling thoughts here :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      No apologizes, it all make sense, well... as much sense as T can make, right? Yes, it does sound like we have similar T. And I know many others that also fit this same profile. Perhaps we all have the same type of "ear damage or something else" that led to the development of our T (whatever that might be).

I don't think Calcium is a problem although one type of T is caused by excess calcium in the middle ear bones (otosclerois) but it doesn't sound like you have that type of T because that causes hearing loss too.

ENT's are really not much help in the area of T. They know what it is, but their main objective is to rule out any medical causes for your T, after that or if no other cause is found, then they are not of much help in the management area of T. Since there is yet no cure, management is what we all have to focus on.

BTW, I haven't been to Cornwall since I was a kid (many eons ago). I live in the USA now but I grew up in the UK and Germany.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It was beautiful down there Erik - I bought a place right next to Cape Cornwall because my eldest son & fiance live near there. Such a shame that the T ruined the whole thing.

But.. it was like living inside a cloud on the days when the sun wasn't shining. They call it the 'St Just mist' - high humidity & damp. I'm back in the place I moved from now & here in Hampshire I'm at sea level. Have to say that T & Cornwall will now forever be linked for me. As we don't know what causes it I feel that it could have been the changes in air pressure & humidity.

I felt far more relaxed the moment I got back here - could well be entirely psychological but it really doesn't matter. As my eldest son says ... 'we're probably all only a figment of our imaginations anyway' :)

Thinking about you having to cope with T as well as something else now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Thanks Click, sounds lovely :). I like your son's saying 'we're probably all only a figment of our imaginations anyway', sounds right! Thanks for your thoughts. I am staying upbeat and enjoying life.

12. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      I have been having low T for past 2 weeks but yesterday I had a headache and decided to take a kind of Panadol called Sinus Max and also did some sinus irrigation using Sinus Rinse from Neilmed.

This morning I woke up with low T as well to go toilet and then went back to sleep and woke up less than 30 minutes later with a loud T.

What happened? Why when I went toilet everything was fine and the moment I took a short nap and woke up with a loud T? Was it the Panadol I took yesterday night or the sinus rinsing? Why just after a short sleep the T become loud?

13. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      A very old thread. But I am also wondering why volume of my T is the same whole day.
      So first seconds in the morning decide about my day.
      Why is that and why is it sometimes loud, sometimes low?
      Does it depend on my sleep pattern, hours of sleep, hours of REM sleep, number of dreams, content of dreams.
      Anyone any idea?

14. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      Maybe you hear what you eat.

15. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I have also wondered this as well.....

16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Very difficult to find many patterns with tinnitus. What helps one day doesn't seem to help the following day.

17. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I find my tinnitus often builds throughout the day. It's at its best when I first awake in the morning, probably because parts of my brain are still "asleep" more or less. (Most likely the damn amygdala which doesn't have a reason to get anxious or fired up right away.)

My hearing problems -- pain, hyperacussis, inability to hear certain ranges, etc. are always there though. They remain fairly constant.

18. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Same thing here. My T was completely quiet when I went to bed last night and when I woke this morning. I fell back to sleep and I woke up to a loud hissing.

19. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I am the same. Sleep has a huge impact on the loudness of my T; it's a mystery to me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish i knew the answer.

21. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety from chronic pain; triggered by Audio test
      I just got T this past Wed and experienced this last night and today. When I took two naps my T seemed to be a bit louder. It's still manageable but disappointed that I lost the hiss and now hear a pitch. Hopefully with good night's rest it goes to a baseline, but I'm so new with this and I don't want my anxiety or thoughts make it worse than what it is. I'm trying to reframe like they teach you in CBT. I'll listen to some mindful meditation books now too.

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wouldn't worry about small fluctuations like that. There is still a good chance that soon it will change to a hiss. Only once some negative change has been there for over three months could one conclude that the change is likely permanent.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety from chronic pain; triggered by Audio test
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I seem better after not using a pillow last night. I have had chronic neck problems over the years. I still have some noise but doesn't seem as loud today. Forward head posture at a computer is not good either. It's hard to break bad habits.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Informative Informative x 2