Thanks.

Discussion in 'Support' started by BobDigi, Jun 12, 2014.

1. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm going to stop reading online about tinnitus for a few days. I want to give myself a chance to stop thinking about tinnitus as much as I can. Researching tinnitus, and using this forum and BTA forum has been really helpful. But this weekend I'm going to act as if I haven't got tinnitus. Obviously this isn't going to be easy. But I'm not going to talk about it or read about tinnitus till Monday. I'm going to see how it goes. Anyway I just wanted to say thanks to the people that have replied to any of my posts this week. They've really helped. Despite having good friends, fiance and family, I've felt really lonely since my t started. The only person who's tried to help me has been my mum. She's done a bit of research online, and sent me texts to see how I am. No one else, best friend, sisters, family, no one has asked how I am. And my girlfriend hasn't helped me what so ever. So without the help of my mum, and the people on these two forums I'd be really low. So thanks a lot. And I'm certainly gonna be back after the weekend. It's not that people don't care. I just don't think they realise how hard it is. Plus they probably think a 6'4" male can handle some ringing in the ear. We know it's a lot more than that. So I'm glad I can speak to people who know this, and understand a bit more. Thanks again, Bob.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Good luck and best wishes, @BobDigi. Board breaks can be really helpful. I took one awhile ago.

Also, and I say this respectfully: People who truly love and care for us try to be helpful and/or empathetic when we have tinnitus, even if they don't understand it and can't make it go away. Many people here at TT (including me) have posted about how supportive our families, partners and spouses are, and how much that means to us. Maybe you should talk with your girlfriend about this. Chances are good that tinnitus isn't going to be the only thing in your life where you'll need someone to lean on. Hugs to your mum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Bob you can get up on You tube the noises of tinnitus,it then helps people who have no knowledge of what we hear,a listen to what were trying to explain what its like. It's been the hardest of things I've had to contend with in my life,and I'm sure others feel the same.Go get the World Cup on if your into football ,over the weekend,see how you go.and we've got some nice weather in Poole,so go on over to Selsey get on the beach .Think it's worse if you sit in nursing it.Im with the BTA.to Good Quarterly Magazine.

4. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      That sounds like a great idea. I've limited the amount of time I give myself to be on the forum and/or research and it has helped since I get busy doing other things I used to do before T. I think I mighy join you on not acknowleding tinnitus this weekend too. Best of luck!

5. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      My mate lives Selsey Bob ,I meant Southsea oops They still got a funfair there,? Good day out.

6. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      I stop googling about tinnitus but i find this forum to be comforting for me. I don't feel alone and it helps me habituate to my tinnitus because I no longer fear it like how i use to because I am not in this alone
      This forum is helpful but searching up on it is a terrible idea. Good luck btw it is a good idea to stop searching and reading about it. Live life like u dont have it :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I am following your idea... 1 2 3 ,GOOOOOO!!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I understand what you're saying, but it's hard to explain. Most of my friends aren't the sit down and talk about it type people. My girlfriend has a, if you can't change it then get on with it attitude. And my sisters probably don't want to say anything in case I get upset.
      Luckily I've got the best mum in the world. And although I'm 34 years old, I definitely need her at times like this.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Good id
      Thanks Marlene. I think i'll do that at some point after the weekend. Thanks for the ideas. I have a busy weekend planned. I'm taking my niece to the Sultan show which has a fun fair, stalls shows etc. Then on Sunday my dad and I are going for a bike ride in the country. Then Sunday afternoon I'm going to the aquarium to get a few fish. Throw a bit of Xbox in there and that'll be a packed weekend. Thanks x

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Go for it. I'll ask you how you got on Monday.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah the fairs still there. A little run down but it's there. My girlfriend and I go most summers. We play crazy golf, have a few rides and then waste some money in the fruit machines.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Cheers again Leelo.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Nice one Rog. I'll ask how you got on Monday. good luck.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My weekend went really well. Took my niece out for the day Saturday (she talks so much I didn't have much time to think about my tinnitus) and Sunday went out on a 25 mile bike ride with my dad, then watched a film with my girlfriend. Done a few things round the house too. didn't look online about tinnitus and had a really good weekend. How did it go?

• Like Like x 1
    15. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      It also went really well. I did respond to a private message here on TT but other than that I did not research. I didn't even talk about T at all. Just pretended like I didn't have it. I noticed that I notice it much less when not constantly giving it attention. Friday I went to dinner and a walk with my gf, Saturday I went to a wedding, and Sunday I enjoyed fathers day with family. I really didn't notice it much until last night when a girl yelled directly in my ear with my T (accidentally). I hurt for a bit but I chose to keep ignoring it as I feel that by giving it attention would increase my perceived T volume. Feel back to "normal" again today. Good to hear it went well for you though. Keep it up!