The Bionics Institute Claim They Have Found a Way of Objectively Measuring Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Ed209, Nov 19, 2020.

1. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      @JPGL, probably pre-clinical.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. IntotheBlue03

IntotheBlue03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervical/TBD
      Amazing stuff. Wish this was available in the USA. Not that anyone cares here since tinnitus is not a covered condition when it comes to any sick leave, disability etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      The Bionics Institute just emailed me with an update.

They are hosting an online Zoom event; Measuring tinnitus - detecting an invisible condition on Tuesday, 1 March 1-2 pm AEST.

Dr. Mehrnaz Shoushtarian (Lead Tinnitus Researcher) is going to explain how they are able to measure tinnitus using recorded brain activity, and how this could help people with tinnitus in the future.

Victoria Didenko will give a patient perspective.

Dr. Sol Marghzar (Doctor of Audiology/Clinical Director of Hearing Doctor in California) will discuss issues around diagnosis, and offers advice for people living with tinnitus.

For anyone who would like to attend, you will need to register for a Zoom link below:

https://mailchi.mp/bionicsinstitute/online-tinnitus-event-registration

• Like Like x 2
    4. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Brilliant news Deb, thanks for the update. Are you going to attend?

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Here's the recording of last week's Zoom webinar from the Bionics Institute:

Measuring tinnitus - detecting an invisible...

The Bionics Institute need funds to continue their tinnitus research. They have approached me to give a patient perspective, along with my thoughts about Mehrnaz's work with the diagnostics. This will be incorporated into a letter, along with further info Mehrnaz will add around her research. The letter will be sent out in a variety of formats; including social media platforms. Little nervous about the professional photo shoot.

• Like Like x 12
    6. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      Thanks for sharing!

I started a monthly donation to Bionics Institute (not much, but something).

Go go go! Bring back life! Tinnitus is a condition that won't kill you? Well, not totally and physically, but I sure have died quite a bit. :(

I started crying when Victoria in the presentation said tinnitus did kill her, because I could relate. Glad to have my son around – he comforted me. ❤️

And for the record; confirmed again I do get a pretty hefty tinnitus spike (my high-pitched electric sizzle in my left ear) when crying. Maybe something for Bionics Institute to measure. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      So, I put my hand up to give a patient perspective on tinnitus for an upcoming fundraising campaign with the Bionics Institute for their diagnostics project.

I have been contacted by local media (Geelong Advertiser paper) and scheduled to film a story about tinnitus and the Bionics Institute tomorrow with Channel 7 News.

Below is the newsletter that will be circulating.

RGB_horizontal1.png
      iHPf_q8g-9900000000079e3c.jpg

Dear Debra,

Imagine ringing and hissing in your head...

It’s 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So you can’t sleep. You can’t eat. It stops you from working. You just can’t escape this auditory torment.

If you have a really severe case, you end up with depression... like Deb has.

No matter what you do, you’re trapped and tormented by this noise.

The worst thing is that no scientifically valid test exists to diagnose or measure your tinnitus. You can help us develop a breakthrough test and silence the torment of tinnitus!

Such a test would make a huge difference to someone like Deb. Her tinnitus got to the stage where life became unbearable.

“It's like a gas leak in my head. I've got multiple layers of hissing... you feel trapped in your head, trapped and tormented.”

“It's kicked up my anxiety and depression. Every day now is about coping, not living.”

Deb has tried everything to relieve tinnitus – white noise, masking, cognitive behaviourial therapy, hearing aids and natural remedies. Nothing has worked.

Deb admits she’s thought about ending her life when tinnitus got really bad. That’s why she believes a proper diagnostic test and treatment is so important. The new tinnitus test uses special imaging technology in a brain cap to shine near infrared light onto the head.

This measures changes in blood oxygen levels in your brain when it responds to a sound. It scientifically shows the presence of noise. Our algorithm then analyses this data to identify whether a patient has tinnitus... and how severe it is.

It can diagnose tinnitus with 78% accuracy and distinguish between mild and severe tinnitus with 87% accuracy.

This has never been done before!

Our team has done a magnificent job bringing the test this far. Now your help is needed to conduct further trials and develop an everyday version of the test that doctors can easily use in the clinic.

Please DONATE NOW and your gift will be matched! You will help to develop the breakthrough tinnitus test so urgently needed by people like Deb.

You’ll help give relief to people who live with the 24/7 misery of constant ringing and buzzing in their ears. Together, you and I can take the first steps to stop the torment of tinnitus and silence it forever!

With best wishes,
      RobertKlupacsCEO-99000006db01453c.png
      Mr Robert Klupacs
      CEO, Bionics Institute

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 6
    8. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      Seriously, let's say they can measure tinnitus, what exactly are they going to do with that information? Or would the location of the tinnitus be exposed and give doctors enough information on what type of drug/treatment is needed to fix the region of the brain or ear?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. dbeats

dbeats Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Depending on how precise the measurement is, I'm guessing they could measure objective changes in tinnitus for potential treatments. A pretty amazing tool to be honest.

• Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      It would be great for actually measuring the efficacy of potential treatments. We all know how problematic THI is.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    11. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There could be so many benefits. One would be the improving the ability to qualify for disability. Right now it is very difficult to qualify for disability based on tinnitus. If we had an objective measure of tinnitus severity, it could really help.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I think we need diagnostics. Exposure also aids awareness promotion. Qualifying for disability is also a good point.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    13. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      See now that's what I'm concerned with. Do you think we possess these potential treatments? Like do we have the stuff already available and we just need to know where to put it at (what area of the brain)? I'm going to be quiet after this as I feel I'm being a bit too negative, I just want us to already have stuff ready and not need another 100 years to get the ingredients ready, so by the time the Bionics Institute can objectively measure or pin point where tinnitus is coming from we can just apply the stuff 123. Anyway, what do I know. May the powers be with us all.

Another thing: why aren't big companies/pharmas grasping at this trying to be part such a remarkable opportunity? Wait a minute. Time out. Why isn't the national hearing institute or whatever government healthcare etc responsible for the health crises of their country not picking up the bill for the Bionics Institute? You would think the US military would scoop this right up and have them working for them...

14. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bizarrely Deb, your interview popped up on my search engine last night. The article mentioned a lady called Deb, and I immediately thought, ah that can only be our Deb in Australia. Hope you're doing OK.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      There was an article about this in the mainstream press today (The Daily Telegraph in Sydney). Just a short article saying that 1 in 10 suffer from tinnitus and the Bionics Institute has developed a test which is 87% accurate...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      No we really don’t have any treatments yet (fingers crossed with Dr. Shore). Not being able to measure the damn stuff is part of that problem. This won’t cure anyone but it should help speed up the process. Science is rarely about breakthroughs but rather baby steps. This is one of those baby steps.

• Like Like x 1
    17. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it possible to detect tinnitus via EEG? Does anybody know this? What is the accuracy with it?

@Deb, is this you on the article?

• Like Like x 1
    18. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've read many articles over the years relating to various tinnitus markers in EEG. But then there always seems to be another, EEG study to measure tinnitus, preparing to recruit participants. It's all very perplexing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Harder Calm
      Frustrated

Harder Calm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/TMJ
      • Informative Informative x 2
    20. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      There's a Chinese study in which the authors have mentioned the application of EEG for analysing a group of people with tinnitus vs. normal controls.

Tinnitus Abnormal Brain Region Detection Based on Dynamic Causal Modeling and Exponential Ranking (Tsai et al., 2018)

''A variety of methods for exploring brain activity exist and could provide different kinds of signals that sketch the brain activities, i.e., fMRI, EEG, and MEG. Many of the previous researches are based on the resting-state fMRI. The resting-state fMRI has been proved to be a useful noninvasive technique for determining how structurally segregated and functionally specialized cerebral centers are interconnected for subjective tinnitus. However, due to the constant emission of detrimental scanner noise and other uncomfortable aspects of scanning environment, many patients refuse to participate in fMRI studies. In addition, EEG signals contain more information of the underlying dynamics than fMRI. Moreover, spectral power and connectivity analysis of the resting-state EEG have been turned out as advantageous tools because EEG parameters obtained from patients generally differ from EEG patterns of people without chronic tinnitus symptoms. So EEG is considered as a more suitable technique to explore the functional signature of tinnitus.''

(...)

''To this end, we study the steady-state EEG signals in the delta band (0.5-3.5Hz), theta band (3.5-7.5Hz), alpha band (7.5-12.5Hz), beta band (12.5-30Hz), and the gamma band (30Hz-45Hz) of 14 chronic tinnitus patients and 14 control individuals. By combining the dynamic causal modeling (DCM) and the exponential ranking algorithm, the insight of the abnormal brain regions of tinnitus can be gained, and the differences between tinnitus patients and the controls in neuronal aspects can be analyzed. For clarity, Figure 2 shows the main flowchart of our method.''

(...)

''In this study, we combined DCM and exponential ranking to detect the abnormal brain regions in tinnitus patients comparing with healthy controls. Present study found increased intrinsic connectivity in the parietal and prefrontal cortices, nucleus accumbens (NAc), isthmus of cingulate gyrus, thalamus, and brainstem.''

• Informative Informative x 3
    21. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Have just watched this video and can highly recommend. It addresses many relevant questions with good solid answers and doesn't just skip over stuff. I really like Dr. Sol Marghzar and his comments about Lenire. Sounded to me like he was kind of throwing the gauntlet down to Neuromod regarding their claims of efficacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      That is a coincidence.

I have the media interview today. Not at all in a good space. Hope they don't judge me for looking worn out.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    23. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Hey @DebInAustralia. I also did this trial. It was over 2 years ago and hadn't really thought much about it until I read a small article in the paper today.

24. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Oh great! Did you ever get results from the trial?

25. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
    26. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Brai3n and Dirk de Ridder do qEEG prior to offering tDCS or tPNS (pink noise) treatments, it’s the best measurement that exists so far I think. If Bionics Institute can come up with something better with fNIRS, it’s even better for us.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. tpj
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      No. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to contact me or me them. I guess it's the latter. Is that what you did?

• Like Like x 3
    28. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes. I asked Mehrnaz. She was very obliging.

29. tpj
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Thanks. I'll get in contact with them.

• Like Like x 1
    30. DebInAustralia
      No Mood